• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:04 AM

Multiplayer question:

1) A multiplayer title's challenge bonus (eg: Crown Regent's +3 to power challenges) is a constant effect that lasts for the breadth of the challenge phase?

=self answer: Yes. 

specific card questions:

2) I'm You Writ Small (Lanni event, CS): the boon attachment kicks in following round or on the current phase the deadly effect is still ongoing?

=self answer: it kicks in on the current phase, because of the word "THEN" is not a timing statement requiring the current phase to be over.

3) Condemned by the Realm (Targ plot, CS) what does it mean that your opponent must choose and kill a char he does not control? What does that mean in a two player game?

=self answer: it grants your chosen opponent an instant kill effect that can target any characters (i.e. including your own character) except ones under his/her control.

4) Greatjon Umber (Stark char, CS): can use his ability to join attackers after defenders are declared, thus suddenly boosting the total attack strength by 3?

=self answer: yes.

5) Daario Naharis (Targ char, CS): does his ability kicks in before gold + strength is counted for power claim in the Dominance phase?

= self answer: yes.

Are my assumptions correct?

#2 Rozy

Rozy

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:30 AM

1, yes, but it adds bonus only if you have at least one character in the challange

2, deadly lasts only untill the end of the phase so if you trigger this in mashalling, in challanges you dont have deadly anymore, so it is good use it if you attack after defenders are declared during intrigue or power challange, cause if you win or not, you make the opponent to kill one of his characters, the +2 str bonus then might help you win the challenge itself, so it will give you the bonus right away

3, it is good only in multiplaer, you can make deals with your opponents, it is a drawback from a high income, so in joust game (1 on 1) your opponent will kill one of yours characters...

4, yes that is what is his ability for :)

5, yse, a passive efect goes first in the dominace

you didnt have to ask :)

#3 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:31 AM

Don't be afraid to ask questions. I've been playing this game for 5 years, and I still make mistakes in my assumptions. Some of the cards you asked about it just helps to get clarifications on, especially if you think you are doing someting wrong.

#4 Rozy

Rozy

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:37 AM

This is what happens to me all the time, I think I heard about this rule and this explanation, but I am not sure, just not 100% sure...

#5 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

Thanks to you guys, I now feel all the more confident!

:)

@ROZY: Isn't "I'm you writ small" only for challenge phase use, thus barring it from marshalling phase activation?

#6 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

Ruvion said:

@ROZY: Isn't "I'm you writ small" only for challenge phase use, thus barring it from marshalling phase activation?

Yes. I think it was a simple misspeak on Rozy's part.

As you both note, the event becomes an attachment as part of playing it, so the Boon's +2 kicks in even before Responses to playing the "You Writ Small" event can be played (and lasts for as long as the card is attached).

On #5, just to clarify: Daario's passive effect goes first in Dominance because it specifically says "at the beginning of the Dominance phase." There isn't a chance to trigger anything before Dominance is awarded and most other passives wait, too. Only things that specifically happen (passively) "at the beginning" of Dominance will take place before standing STR/gold is counted.

#7 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for further clarifications ktom!

One thing that was tripping me up for Daario (question #5) was that the language of  timing for both this card and the calculation for dominance award explaned in the rulebook (page 15, Phase 5: Dominance) use the same exact wording:

"At the beginning of the Dominance phase, ..."

I wasn't sure that the passive effect from a card would precede the game effect in such a case, but now I am.   :)

#8 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

Ruvion said:

One thing that was tripping me up for Daario (question #5) was that the language of  timing for both this card and the calculation for dominance award explaned in the rulebook (page 15, Phase 5: Dominance) use the same exact wording:

"At the beginning of the Dominance phase, ..."

It is a little confusing from the wording. What clarifies it is the flow-chart of game events in the FAQ. It shows that "Dominance phase begins" and "Dominance is counted/awarded" as to separate, but sequential things. That's how we know for sure that "at the beginning of the Dominance phase..." passives happen before Dominance itself is counted/awarded. You can take the rulebook to essentially mean "no non-passive things can happen in the Dominance phase before Dominance is counted."

#9 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:03 AM

A question regarding a card with both a constant effect and a triggered effect.

If you kneel that card to trigger its effect, I'm right in assuming that the constant effect is still ongoing? (eg: Dawn attachment [The Raven's Song CP version] on Ser Arthur Dayne).

#10 Rozy

Rozy

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:36 AM

Sure, the constant effect remains, unless it needs the character standing for the effect, but it is not this case.

#11 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:38 AM

Ruvion said:

If you kneel that card to trigger its effect, I'm right in assuming that the constant effect is still ongoing? (eg: Dawn attachment [The Raven's Song CP version] on Ser Arthur Dayne).

Correct. Cards do not need to be standing in order for a constant effect to be active (or even to use a triggered effect) unless the card specifically says that it must be standing (or kneeling the card is part of the cost).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS