Priests with delayed spells and Ulrics furry

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nishra

Nishra

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

Hey it’s me again…and I got another couple of questions for you ;)
This time it’s all about ulric his fury and priests so here we go!

A: With the Rage of Ulric (don’t remember the spellcardname 100% right now) it’s possible to get the frenzy condition.

This states “all your stance dice are reckless dice”

1. Does that mean if I only got a stance meter 3 pieces long, that I only get 3 reckless dice? Or does it mean that I get all attribute-wise dice in reckless (so probably more then I got stance?)
2. Despite what the response above might be, it should be possible to be in “conservative stance” and still get all red dice right? So if I stand 2 in conservative but since all dice are reckless, is still get reckless dice but have to play my cards in green-mode ?
3. Frenzy – the card tells me “+2-dmg when fatigue symbol is rolled” that means I get only +2 dmg when it’s in the roll like normally the fatigue symbol would do. Or does it mean I get +2dmg for every single symbol?

B: Favor and Casting Spells

It states in the rules, which the favor is immediately going into the spell and the divine wonder will occur when it’s got enough favor to full it. If this means I only have to cast the spell once and are allowed to “wait” there is opportunity for a very special kind of play style. Given I don’t want to curry favor but use this “delay” or “timed spell” as an advantage, we got 2 possible outcomes.

First, it means that if I cast a spell in round 1 which needs 5 favor, and I have only 4 to spend, the spell will be cast automatically at the end of my turn because I get 1 at the end of my turn.

Second if it is not cast at the end of my turn, then would it be cast automatically on my next turn, since I would have enough favor then and the spell draws all my favor in?

So my question here would be…which is true? And can I make “another” action in the turn, my “timed spell” will go off?

In addition to that, could I “stack” timed spells? For instance cast a 5-favour spell which is lacking one and will go off next turn (or end of turn based on the response above) and then cast another spell next round which will then go off when I got enough favor ?

Give me your opinion on that please ;)

#2 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:23 AM

Nishra said:

A: With the Rage of Ulric (don’t remember the spellcardname 100% right now) it’s possible to get the frenzy condition.

This states “all your stance dice are reckless dice”

1. Does that mean if I only got a stance meter 3 pieces long, that I only get 3 reckless dice? Or does it mean that I get all attribute-wise dice in reckless (so probably more then I got stance?)
2. Despite what the response above might be, it should be possible to be in “conservative stance” and still get all red dice right? So if I stand 2 in conservative but since all dice are reckless, is still get reckless dice but have to play my cards in green-mode ?
3. Frenzy – the card tells me “+2-dmg when fatigue symbol is rolled” that means I get only +2 dmg when it’s in the roll like normally the fatigue symbol would do. Or does it mean I get +2dmg for every single symbol?

1. Since the card reads "stance dice" rather than "characteristic dice" I'd assume you can have a maximum of 3 red dice if you only have 3 pieces in your stance meter.
2. Yes, I suppose it does mean that. There's another card with a similar effect though and on the conservative side of that card you go one step into reckless. I don't know if that's the case with this particular card though.
3. Only once, as with all other lines you can only activate it once per roll.

Nishra said:

B: Favor and Casting Spells

It states in the rules, which the favor is immediately going into the spell and the divine wonder will occur when it’s got enough favor to full it. If this means I only have to cast the spell once and are allowed to “wait” there is opportunity for a very special kind of play style. Given I don’t want to curry favor but use this “delay” or “timed spell” as an advantage, we got 2 possible outcomes.

First, it means that if I cast a spell in round 1 which needs 5 favor, and I have only 4 to spend, the spell will be cast automatically at the end of my turn because I get 1 at the end of my turn.

Second if it is not cast at the end of my turn, then would it be cast automatically on my next turn, since I would have enough favor then and the spell draws all my favor in?

So my question here would be…which is true? And can I make “another” action in the turn, my “timed spell” will go off?

In addition to that, could I “stack” timed spells? For instance cast a 5-favour spell which is lacking one and will go off next turn (or end of turn based on the response above) and then cast another spell next round which will then go off when I got enough favor ?

The first statement is correct. If you have a blessing waiting for favour the favour gained at the end of your turn goes directly onto the card and activates the blessing.

Yes, while a blessing is charging you can take other actions and reactions such as attacking, defending, performing stunts and so on.

As the first statement was correct you can cast another blessing in your next turn. However I believe that you can only have one blessing waiting for favour at a time, so if you use the 5 favour blessing but only have 2 favour to spend you could not use any other blessings until the first blessing is invoked (got 5 favour). I'm not a 100% sure about this tough and I do not have my books here so I cannot find out at the moment. I know it's been talked about on the forums before though, so I believe that someone here knows and can provide the answer you seek. :)

#3 Nishra

Nishra

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

All right i would agree with your statement and did understand the rules that way too. As for the "delayed casting" im sure you can cast 2 wonders and they would leech favour one after another…but thats houserules then i guess.

Concerning the AC "fury of the white wolf" iseent the card pretty useless ?
I mean if its only stance pieces and not all dice that are changed i only get +2 damage in some cases and i compare it to the AC berserker-rage were i do get damage for each step im in reckless,which will be +2 from the beginning of the rage(since i can take one step for free and get the other when i have some luck with my dice and in addition get +1TO and ST for all rolles, why would i choose the ulric version which on top takes 6 favour to use ?

But well thats houserules again then i believe ?

Thanks your your input !!

#4 Matchstickman

Matchstickman

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

I disagree with the "stance dice" interpretation and believe that whomever wrote the card got their terminology mixed up by mistake.

I think that it should convert all characteristic dice to reckless, whether you want them to be so or not. With actual stance pieces you can make a tactical decision and decide how deep you wish to be, when you're channelling the rage of a god? Not so much!

Wait.

I was trying to find the blessing and I believe I have found it, Fury of the White Wolf. By itself it does not change any dice into reckless, what it does is give the Frenzied condition, which changes the stance dice. The question is how do you handle the frenzied condition? Doesn't that chance ALL characteristic dice into Reckless dice?

EDIT: D'OH! Know that I re-read your reply I see that you mentioned the card name, I agree with your interpretation, that it would be useless if it was only converting dice that were already to be converted.

#5 Nishra

Nishra

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

And that would be my point : ] the frenzied card must be "wrong" somehow but i couldent find a hint for that.

Changin all dice seems right for me, but only stance dice…not soo much ;) (which will lead to us houserouling that i guess)

#6 Matchstickman

Matchstickman

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

I see you replied while I was editing my reply, just to reiterate (and get rid of that damned notification that will hang around if no one posts), I agree with you!

#7 DevoutBadger

DevoutBadger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

Players guide says blessings are cast the begining of your turn if you get enough favor between the start of your End of Turn phase and your next turn (say someones action triggers you gaining favor). It is specific that they never go off before this, outside of your turn (unless specific blessing is designed that way of course). Based on this I don't see how you could manage stacking.

#8 Matchstickman

Matchstickman

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:49 AM

DevoutBadger said:

Players guide says blessings are cast the begining of your turn if you get enough favor between the start of your End of Turn phase and your next turn (say someones action triggers you gaining favor). It is specific that they never go off before this, outside of your turn (unless specific blessing is designed that way of course). Based on this I don't see how you could manage stacking.

Stacking is a misnomer, queueing is a more accurate description.

Turn 1
Cast a Blessing when you have 1 favour and it requires 4 -> 1 favour on Blessing, 0 in 'pool'
End of turn: gain 1 favour-> 2 favour on Blessing, 0 in 'pool'

Turn 2
Cast a second Blessing -> 2 favour on Blessing1, 0 on Blessing2, 0 in 'pool'
End of turn: gain 1 favour-> 3 favour on Blessing1, 0 on Blessing2, 0 in 'pool'

Rules As Written there doesn't appear to be anything to stop that chain continuing until the encounter is over, at which point 2 or 3 Blessings could go off with no targets.

I guess the GM has to rule if the gods of Warhammer can multi-task!

#9 DevoutBadger

DevoutBadger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

True enough, you could theoreticly keep using actions to que spells with huge favor costs and never try to gather extra favor… I'm not sure I can see how this would be useful though.

#10 Superchunk

Superchunk

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:27 AM

As a previous poster asked, why not just use the AC Berserker Rage! instead of this blessing? Well, berserker rage decreases your defence by 1, but as far as I can tell, you can use both these action cards at the time time. Rage gives you extra damage the further you go into Reckless stance, while the blessing gives you the extra +2 damage if you roll a fatigue symbol. The blessing doesn't seem quite as powerful, but then again, it depends on how much you value that -1 defence penalty.

#11 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

Matchstickman said:

DevoutBadger said:

Stacking is a misnomer, queueing is a more accurate description.

Turn 1
Cast a Blessing when you have 1 favour and it requires 4 -> 1 favour on Blessing, 0 in 'pool'
End of turn: gain 1 favour-> 2 favour on Blessing, 0 in 'pool'

Turn 2
Cast a second Blessing -> 2 favour on Blessing1, 0 on Blessing2, 0 in 'pool'
End of turn: gain 1 favour-> 3 favour on Blessing1, 0 on Blessing2, 0 in 'pool'

Rules As Written there doesn't appear to be anything to stop that chain continuing until the encounter is over, at which point 2 or 3 Blessings could go off with no targets.

I guess the GM has to rule if the gods of Warhammer can multi-task!

I'd have to check the rules for specifics. Personally, as a GM, I wouldn't let a priest successfully invoke a new blessing while they had 0 favour available. They don't have enough favor to begin to gain the attention of their deity to provide them with another blessing so soon. Unlike wizards, priests are dependent on the favor (and whims) of their deity. Asking for more than a single blessing at a time, and trying to "stack" them, seems an awful lot like the character is using and abusing the deity, and taking them for granted.

Perhaps you need to consider favour as "The God's attention". As you gain more favour, they have more time for you and will listen to you. If you have 0 favour, the God is too busy to deal with you or to listen to your entreaties. They might be busy working on the previous blessing you asked for, or they might just be selfish and want the priest to grovel a bit more before giving another blessing.  Either way, the priest isn't getting another blessing from their deity until they replenish their favour.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS