Photo

'Seekers of Knowledge and what it means for the Lord of the Rings Card Game' or 'Goodbye to adventure packs?'

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Bohemond

Bohemond

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:17 AM

We just received some big news about a potential shift in how FFG sells its LCGs, but folks may have missed it since it came in the guise of a Call of Cathulhu announcement.

"Seekers of Knowledge will be more than another deluxe expansion; it will be the first in a new release model for Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game. The game will shift away from monthly Asylum Packs to the release of a deluxe expansion (each with 165 cards) once every four months."

So, nothing definitive here for LotR, but I see some clear signs.  First, we have the announcement of the two hobbit themed box sets.  Second, we have no news about any upcoming adventure cycles.  And, FFG has stated that it is shutting down the entire concept of monthly packs for one of its other LCGs.

If I was betting, I would put money on the fact that Shadow & Flame will be the last adventure pack for this game.  Time to embrace the boxed sets.

#2 Bohemond

Bohemond

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:24 AM

Worth noting that they add

"However, there are no plans to apply this change to any other LCG."

color me skeptical.

#3 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:39 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the direction their LCGs take - once they're 7 years old. (or however old CoC is)

#4 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

The fact that there is no news about a new adventure cycle and there are news for two expansions sets (The Hobbit), could mean they are thinking in closing the Adventure Packs.

However, it's the AP's that make LOTR: the Card Game what it is: an exciting game with new cards and quests released every month or so…

Also, there is nothing that states this choice on  Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game, could mean that the other games will follow the same path.

Carlos José Matos

#5 Flipsutter

Flipsutter

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:58 AM

I sure hope not.  I hope they keep it the same.  I just bought the game a few months back and I have been collecting the Ap's since then.  I will receive the latest one this coming week.  It has been awesome to know that new quests and cards would be coming out every month.  Lets hope they don't change it! 

#6 Bohemond

Bohemond

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:11 AM

Here is a time table on annuncements and release dates

Mirkwood Cycle – Announced February 15th 2011, released July 13th 2011
Kazad Dun – Announced September 12th 2011, Released January 6th 2012
Darrowdelf Cycle - Announced October 5th 2011, released March 1st 2012
Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill – Announced in April 2012 released in August 2012 (speculation; its gen Con)

Which means that if they announced a new cycle tomorrow we probably wouldn’t be seeing it until December 2012 or January 2013.
It sure seems like we are headed towards a big box release schedule.

#7 Ranger of the Force

Ranger of the Force

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:58 AM

I am probably in the minority here, but if this news proves correct for LOTR I would welcome it.  As a new player getting into the game a few months ago It felt a little daunting to look out at all those aventure packs.  I wanted to improve my pool of cards, and it seemed that FFG did an outstanding job of sprinkling all the best cards accross multiple APs, so if I wanted to build the deck I wanted (eagles etc.) I had to buy a majority of them.  This was marketing genious IMHO, but it did not lend itself very favorably to new players. If one was to start now, in addition to thier core set, they would need another box set and 12 APs to field competitive decks (or just 6 APs if they stopped at each cycle, but still daunting).   Issuing boxed sets centered around themes would make this a little more inviting for new players and would give them a chance to catch up if you will.  In addition, I feel the monthly cycle barely gives  a player time to digest the cards of the current AP when the next one comes out.  Its great to get new expansions very quickly, but giving players time to digest the cards both player and encounter I think would allow strategies, combos, and unforseen rules issues to be discovered and in the last case resolved.  Perhaps its just me as I come from games where expansions were expected maybe once or twice a year, but this expansion schedule for LOTR has my head (and wallet) spinning.

Just my two cents, for what its worth.

#8 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:28 AM

Yeah, I'd prefer they stick with the adventure packs, which is most likely what will happen, as there has been nothing said otherwise. As for why there's been no third cycle announcement, I think it probably has to do with the break they are taking for the two Hobbit boxes.

I'll buy this game either way, though honestly I think this game would get pretty stale if we had to wait 4 months in between quests. It's not like other card games where you can just keep playing against other players. Eventually, without frequent injections of new cards the current quests get stale.

#9 Flipsutter

Flipsutter

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

Exaclty.  What keeps this game going for me is the monthly installments.  The story if you will.  I have now, just today, finished the first quest in the mirkwood cycle with a friend.  We had a BLAST!!!!  In beating it, which wasn't to hard, we really enjoyed the heck out of getting into something that neither one of us read first.  That was pretty awesome. 

If they go to a 4 month release I think that would kill the story part of the game.  Its not a competative game at all.  Its Co-Op.  Its a story driven game.  And going to a 4 month expansion wait time would totally kill that part of the game.  You can't think of CoC and LotR in the same light.  Even though they are LCG's they are still different in the style of play. 

#10 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

I think this is happening with Call of Cthulhu because sales are probably starting to drop. It's been going for a few years and I would imagine is the least popular LCG.

I don't think this applies to LOTR at all so I don't think we have to worry. I think our impatience for a new announcement is just getting the best of us.

#11 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

I will keep buying this game no matter what they decided to do, but I see no reason to worry about our adventure packs…they'll keep coming! :)

#12 mason240

mason240

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

This could just be FFG offically putting CoC on the back burner, and setting up for the game's eventual end. CoC is the least popular of it's LCGs, and it has 2 completely new games coming out in the next 9 months, bringing the total number of LCGs up to 6. Yes, each new game has different demographic and brings in new customers, but it doesn't take long for games to start eating each others market share. 

I predict that the end of CoC will be announced sometime in the next 12 months when FFG feels the timing is right to make sure CoC players take up one of the new games.

As other have pointed out, I think the fundamentals of LotR make Adventure Packs the perfect delivery mechinsim, for both business reasons and player enjoyment. 

#13 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

radiskull said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the direction their LCGs take - once they're 7 years old. (or however old CoC is)

Isn't this what the Hobbit expansion basically is?

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#14 vandertramps

vandertramps

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

booored said:

radiskull said:

i think the hobbit expansion is just trying to tie in to the movie. (not that thats a bad thing)

#15 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

For coop game like Lotr lcg it can be deadly 1 deluxe set once in 3-4 months. Cose people will have enough time between to get boring with current quest and switch for other games. They need to stack with a AP month system otherwise they will lose they customers. I think Hobbit deluxe set is kind of special agreement cose  movie will come soon. And soon we will get info about third cycle.

My complain is still same this game is not for proff players as Magic or AGOT but is LOTR and is only reason why i still play this game.

Anyway with good work of designers this game can be much better but they still to lazy to do this.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#16 Bohemond

Bohemond

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

vandertramps said:

booored said:

radiskull said:

i think the hobbit expansion is just trying to tie in to the movie. (not that thats a bad thing)

You could tie into the movie with Adventure packs.  Their is no reasons that they had to do a tie in with a big box.

#17 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

I could see them taking a 6 month break with the two hobbit expansions. Not the most popular choice, maybe, but I could see it happening. I don't think they'll move a way from monthly releases for all their LCGs, though. As stated, it is a necessity for a cooperative game, and the two new games will need monthly packs to keep them going strong with the initial momentum.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#18 wojo

wojo

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

Bohemond said:

You could tie into the movie with Adventure packs.  Their is no reasons that they had to do a tie in with a big box.

Big box has a bigger chance of attracting attention of new players/movie fans than adventure packs (even if they have to buy core set).

I think that FFG will take a small brake in releasing Adventure Packs for sake of pushing the Saga (Hobbit) expansions but things will return to normal after that. 

I agree Budgernaut that LOTR:LCG needs  regular adventure packs in order to stay strong. 

#19 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

wojo said:

Big box has a bigger chance of attracting attention of new players/movie fans than adventure packs (even if they have to buy core set).

I think that FFG will take a small brake in releasing Adventure Packs for sake of pushing the Saga (Hobbit) expansions but things will return to normal after that. 

I agree Budgernaut that LOTR:LCG needs  regular adventure packs in order to stay strong. 

Maybe not monthly but LOTR:LCG needs AP's at least bi-monthly.

The Saga expansions with the Hobbit is clearly to try and bring new players that like theme and may be interested by the Hobbit movie.

We will see what comes out. But I believe that after (or even between) the Hobbit saga, it will return to AP's

Carlos José Matos

#20 Cunir

Cunir

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

if this does happen (i dont think it will, but maybe it will in a few years) then maybe we'll get the proper Lord of the Rings books done the same way as they did The Hobbit. That would be pretty cool… working our way through the stories in the main books.

although that would mean them going back to Moria again… which is way too soon after the Khazad Dum boxset

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS