Photo

WARNING: Miscast Parts / Customer Service Issue (UPDATE 7/16)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CatPeeler

CatPeeler

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

Let me start by saying that, so far, I absolutely love this game. After playing various GW offerings for the last 24 years, Dust Warfare has been a fantastic experience. While I obviously have a complaint, this in no way detracts from my enjoyment of the game as a whole. However, I do want to bring a quality control issue to everyone's attention as a brief 'buyer beware.'

First off, the pics:

As you can see, here are four Nebelwerfer parts for the Lothar medium walker. In each case, one or more of the launch tubes has a significant chunk missing. This is simply a result of the molten plastic not filling the mold completely when the parts were made. While I realize that FFG is not a model company, per se, and that some degree of mold lines / casting issues are fairly common, these parts are all clearly defective. As someone who's been working with miniature models for over two decades, I'm very familiar with having to repair/resculpt/greenstuff any number of various problems. This particular defect, however, will be fairly annoying to deal with. I'll have to either remove a good 1/8" of each tube to even 'em out, or replace them entirely with polystyrene tubing.

I contacted FFG via their online parts request page, including the above picture illustrating the problem. They were very prompt in replying that they would be happy to send me replacement parts at no charge. At this point, I was very pleased with their quick response and pledge to fix the issue.

Unfortunately, I've since been told: "Your request has been updated to denied. Your request was denied because after talking to production about your issue, it turns out it isn’t an outstanding issue and meets their standards when it comes to that part. The whole line is affected as you have documented due to the modeling techniques that where used to cast that object."

In other words, they expect that part to be defective, so tough luck.

If this problem were in a more inconspicuous location, or they were willing to at least provide parts that were less screwed up, it wouldn't be a big deal. If nothing else, the idea that the model is 'ready to paint' right out of the box is pretty clearly false (again, I expect mold lines and minor repairs as normal…this is something different). It sure doesn't match the picture on the box, for darned sure.

In any case, all I can do is to give a heads up to anyone planning to use a Lothar in their list.

#2 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

Yes it sucks that the lothar's weapons have a bit of a mold error but this minor in my opinion, the only severe error I ever had was a panzerfaust without the warhead at the end. also this is a minor enough error that its easily fixed with putty.

#3 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:10 AM

That is unfortunate.

One thing to keep in mind, it is my understanding that FFG is not the manufacturer of the retail Dust mini's. Dust-Studio produces them and FFG distributes them. In this instance, FFG is the middleman and probably has no control over the quality control aspects of the casting operation. 

I have had two instances where I had issues with two different products from FFG. Both times the customer service from FFG was nothing less than stellar. I have never dealt with a more professional, prompt, and courteous customer service staff. That being said, it makes me think that FFG is caught in the middle with a partner that is less inclined to fix an apparently known issue.

#4 CatPeeler

CatPeeler

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

I've heard elsewhere that I may be able to get this resolved through dust studios directly.  We'll see.  If so, I'll let you all know.

#5 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

The problem is not ffg being unwilling to replace the part but that the part  is difficult to cast and all of the parts have the same issue. Ffg will gladly replace anything that has an issue in my experience.

#6 CatPeeler

CatPeeler

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

Dakkon426 said:

The problem is not ffg being unwilling to replace the part but that the part  is difficult to cast and all of the parts have the same issue. Ffg will gladly replace anything that has an issue in my experience.

If every Nebelwerfer part was defective, sure.  I've found a number of players on other forums whose parts are just fine.  Oddly enough, the 'premium' pre-painted versions are all flawless, too. 

As you can see in the photo, the flaws in mine range from, 'somewhat minor,' to 'glaringly obvious.'  If they could give me four like the one in the top right, that would at least be something.

#7 Major Malfunction

Major Malfunction

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

CatPeeler said:

If every Nebelwerfer part was defective, sure.  I've found a number of players on other forums whose parts are just fine.  Oddly enough, the 'premium' pre-painted versions are all flawless, too.

That's not been my experience. I have three, and every last one has some sort of defect on the tubes.

#8 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

Both of my lothars also have minor defects on the tubes.I'm mostly sure all the best castings go to the premium line.

#9 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Dakkon426 said:

Both of my lothars also have minor defects on the tubes.I'm mostly sure all the best castings go to the premium line.

Which for 2x the MSRP with little or no discount available is a good practice. 

#10 CatPeeler

CatPeeler

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Update: Just got a personal email from the Hobby Market Sales Manager. He's not only going to send me two replacement walkers--he's also going to physically inspect the parts to make sure that the Nebelwerfers are the best he can find.

Obviously, I'm very pleased by this. As far as I'm concerned, FFG has done everything they can to make this right.

*glee*

#11 yakmandoo

yakmandoo

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

Go FFG!  Really glad to hear this.  Great for you to OP, but FFG makes good is great for the game.  Now let's have that SSU book already, I need that IS5.

#12 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

yakmandoo said:

Go FFG!  Really glad to hear this.  Great for you to OP, but FFG makes good is great for the game.  Now let's have that SSU book already, I need that IS5.

You won't see those stats til the 4th quarter.  Each operation has its own Warfare book.  The Zverograd   book  will have everything from the current waves.

#13 yakmandoo

yakmandoo

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:32 AM

I bet you a nickel the Is5 is in the DW SSU book…The full SSU faction has to include a playable faction of models.  I bet the stats for Winter Child and the IS 5 are in there…a shiny new nickel if I'm wrong!

#14 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

@ blkdymnd - Better PM yakmandoo your address. Wouldn't want that shiny new nickel to get lost. 

I'm fairly certain the Zverograd book will not have any Q4 models stats in it. 

We'll know soon enough. The, "Upcoming" page has been updated. The Dust Warfare Zverograd Campaign book is now listed as, "Shipping!". So, Distributors should start seeing them in the next couple of days, stores this weekend or early next week!

#15 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

yakmandoo said:

I bet you a nickel the Is5 is in the DW SSU book…The full SSU faction has to include a playable faction of models.  I bet the stats for Winter Child and the IS 5 are in there…a shiny new nickel if I'm wrong!

Shiny nickel it is!  :)

#16 yakmandoo

yakmandoo

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Huzaah!  The bet is on! 

#17 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

yakmandoo said:

Huzaah!  The bet is on! 

Ill take that shiny nickel now ;)

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3433

#18 yakmandoo

yakmandoo

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:53 AM

I owe you that nickel!  PM me!  LoL!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS