Call of Cthulhu at Gencon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

I thought it might be useful to see who all is going to be playing in the Gencon tournament this year.

Was your decision at all influenced by the change where this is now only the North American championship instead of World?  ie - I think the winner no longer gets to design a card, maybe not as nice prize for the winner?

Also, I have a question for the more experienced guys…  How does the "practice tournament" work?  I played in the main tournament last year but not the practice one.

What I'd like to do is bring a couple of candidate decks, test them in the practice tournament, and then pick which one I want to use for the real tournament.  Can you do this or is it like the real tournament where you have to submit one deck list and can't change decks during the event?

ps - I don't know if anyone is interested, but just in case…  I'll also be bringing my copy of War of the Ring if anyone would like to play that.  No problem if you've never played, but be aware that teaching and your first game will take around 3 hours (it's pretty epic in scope).  I'm nearly done painting all the figures so it will look really nice :)

#2 Runix

Runix

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

I've been kicking around the idea of going, but not sure if my schedule will allow it.  On the announcement page, it mentions working with the designers to design a card for both the National Championship and the World Championship.  My question:  if a National Champion helps design a card, how does it work with the Hall of Champions?

#3 badash56

badash56

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

I'll be there with a friend, and we're both playing in each of the tournaments.  I'm not sure how the practice round goes, but I gather it's just a laid back tournament to meet everyone.

#4 Runix

Runix

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

My guess is that the practice tournament has a registered deck like the main tournament, but that you can use separate decks for each.  Just a guess, but that's what would make sense to me.

#5 Magnus Arcanis

Magnus Arcanis

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:34 AM

Runix said:

I've been kicking around the idea of going, but not sure if my schedule will allow it.  On the announcement page, it mentions working with the designers to design a card for both the National Championship and the World Championship.  My question:  if a National Champion helps design a card, how does it work with the Hall of Champions?

To be honest I don't even know for sure as it was designed before non-world champion designed cards were announced. Based on the wording though the Hall will likely not work with non- World Champion designed cards.

Of course, I'm not exactly official on this matter either so take the above with a grain of salt.

As for the OP. I certainly plan on being there. The world's location change was/is definately inconvienent for me, but gencon was my planned vacation this year. So I'll be there, plus the chance go get to design more cards is still pretty awesome! Lol. To be honest, having the tournament on saturday made me more angry than getting me to make plans for November.

As for the practice tournmanet it is like a normal tournament. You use one deck. No changing.

As for War of the Ring. That will largely depend on when you decide to play! I'd certainly be interested. :) PS. don't plan around me or anything. My gencon plans are forever changing at this moment.

#6 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

Magnus Arcanis said:

As for War of the Ring. That will largely depend on when you decide to play! I'd certainly be interested. :) PS. don't plan around me or anything. My gencon plans are forever changing at this moment.

I expect to be in the boardgame room with War of the Ring and Netrunner nearly all day on Friday, probably sunday morning before we leave in the early afternoon, and I would also be willing to play after the warmup tournament on Thursday. I may be available at other times too, just ask.

Also, I agree about the Hall of Champions card.  It specifically requires a World Champion card, so unless it gets an errata that's all it will work on.

However, you could interpret it to work with ANY card designed by a person who has been World Champion at some point.  It doesn't say that the card has to SAY that is was designed by a World Champion, only that it WAS designed by one.  Theoretically, if Tom were hired by FFG to work on the game the Hall might one day work on ALL the new cards he puts out :)

Good luck getting that interpretation past Damon though!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS