• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kalavera

kalavera

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hi,

after my first test games with the revised rules, some basic questions about traits and passiv items came up, which I'm sure of, you can solve.

Using Hermann Heinziger, with the combat pack, you receive the "Hermetica Umbra" item, which I use as an always active, passive "buff". The item carries the traits "Occult, Hermetic". Another example is the vest BG-42, the special object of the union force "delta", which cancels all dmg from ranged weapon if a natural 10 occurs during the shock roll. This item carries the traits "Hardware". As an last example, the BA-27 battery pack for the Flash-Gun of Daniel Brownn. Is this Item always activated, as long as it stayes in his equipment , or is it disposed after using once ?

I am confused about the trait names and the "passive" role of items. Is there a system in the traits naming, which enables the player to classify the item as "passiv always on" ?

Thanks for your help,

kalavera 

#2 kalavera

kalavera

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

To specify my question in a shorter manner:

How do I know , which items are passive (no activation needed) and always active ?

Yet, I think I use some of the items totaly wrong.

A confusing point is the flash-battery of daniel brown:

Attacking with a gun is an action. I thought , that only one item can be used during one activation. On the other hand, Daniel Brown can attack with his gun (which I would say is an item) and in the same activation uses the extra dice through his battery-Item. So he uses actively the Flash-Gun and passiv the battery.

For me, this sounds like using the Schocktruppen's "Mad Minute" and "keep firing" at the same time.

So I'am a little confused, how some items are "passive" and automatically used.

My Idea was, that all equipment card's with "Ability" might be always passive.

All the best,

kalavera

#3 ??!

??!

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

It's quite difficult to give a short answer in this case because the answer depends on the exact wording of every ability or piece of equipment. There are those tokens that use the phrases "As an action …", "Once per turn …" or even "Once per game …" to clearly indicate when and how often the token may be used. Weapons can only be used if you make an attack, counterattack or overwatch attack, so they are only used in certain conditions. Others are automatically used if the character carrying them initiates an attack (Barry's Flash battery) or if the character carrying them is targeted by certain attacks (Delta's vest). Tokens that give the bearer (or others) special abilities without mentioning any conditions or special circumstances are always in effect.

As you see, it's not easy to give a proper answer without going into specific examples, and interaction between tokens belonging to different characters can be tricky (especially if you have several expansions). If you have specific tokens or combinations that bother you the most, feel free to post those examples so we can discuss them.

#4 kalavera

kalavera

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Thank you for the answer,

I'm glad to hear, that we play the game not totaly wrong. We started to play with 2 figures (1 hero / 1 troop)  for each fraction.  Even with this small selection the games take about 2 hours (due to healing with command points). Until yet, most of the items seem to be clear.

One unclear regulation is the ovewatch rule with heavy weapons. Barry Brown is not allowed to attack with his flash weapon, while the Schocktruppen are are supplyed with abilities for exactly this attack. Both would attack with 5 dice (without mad minute etc.). This might be a balancing rule, but it seems to be a little unfair.

After the next games, I will post the new questions here. Thank you for your kind support.

Kala 

#5 kalavera

kalavera

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

I'm glad to hear, that we play the game not totaly wrong. We started to play with 2 figures (1 hero / 1 troop) for each fraction. Even with this small selection the games take about 2 hours (due to healing with command points). Until yet, most of the items seem to be clear.

One unclear regulation is the ovewatch rule with heavy weapons. Barry Brown is not allowed to attack with his flash weapon, while the Schocktruppen are are supplyed with abilities for exactly this attack. Both would attack with 5 dice (without mad minute etc.). This might be a balancing rule, but it seems to be a little unfair.

After the next games, I will post the new questions here. Thank you for your kind support.

Kala  

#6 Moebius

Moebius

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

kalavera said:

I'm glad to hear, that we play the game not totaly wrong. We started to play with 2 figures (1 hero / 1 troop) for each fraction. Even with this small selection the games take about 2 hours (due to healing with command points). Until yet, most of the items seem to be clear.

Kala  

Hola

Just a clarification. You cant heal a character with CPs, onl ignore one wound at the moment it is being suffered and only when a shock roll is involved (so automatic wounds cant be shaken off).

Plyaing the game 5 vs 5 should not make it much longer in any mode that is not deathmatch and will add a lot of tactical depth, as you have to both defend and attack circles to get flags, objectives or whatever…

#7 ??!

??!

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

kalavera said:

It's really a matter of balance. Brown rolls 6 dice, has a Combat Value of 6, can attack 2 targets and rolls additional dice when rolling a Natural 10. He is more powerful than a Shocktruppen who has a CV of 5 and a weapon without special abilities.

On another note, Moebius is right about the using of CP to heal characters. Maybe you got that point wrong.

#8 kalavera

kalavera

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

I'm glad, that you mentioned that point. We played the game wrong slightly wrong.

We healed/canceled one wound with a CP after the shock roll. In our game round, even with this new rules applied, we can heal alott.

Without any doubt, the tactical component off the other game modes make the game much more interesting, but at the beginner level, short games with lots of fights make it easier to get familiar with all the different characters, procedures and situations. It was a little frustrating to play with 5 characters in first games for us, watching them die by just one single grenade. So we decided to reduced the number of figures for the first games.

Thanks for the kind support,

Kala

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS