Carcharodons Psychic Power damage

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 s1ay3r

s1ay3r

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

So, on page 96 of Honour the Chapter under the Rending the Maw psychic power for Carcharodons it says that "Anyone who does not clear the area of effect takes PRd10 Rending Damage". Is this a typo or am I just not understanding what the damage is supposed to be? I'm thinking it was supposed to say PRxd10 or PR+d10, or a number of d10's equal to PR, or something other than just "PRd10". If it isn't a typo, could someone explain what the damage is, and if it is a typo (which I REALLY think it is), any ideas what the damage should have been? Thanks, and please… pretty please, don't turn this into a thread on FFG's editing practices.

#2 shawncarman

shawncarman

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

I'm not sure about the confusion. Normally weapons have their damage code listed with the number of d10, like 2d10 or 3d10.  They just replaced the variable number in this instance with PR.  So if he has PR 3 it's 3d10, etc.

#3 Captain Ventris

Captain Ventris

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:54 AM

To me, that reads as a number of D10s = to PR, like if "PR" was a variable.

#4 s1ay3r

s1ay3r

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:22 AM

Thank you. I think it may have been the 12 hour graveyard shift after 3 hours of sleep that made it confusing because now it makes perfect sense and I feel like more than a little bit of an idiot. 

#5 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:45 AM

Captain Ventris said:

To me, that reads as a number of D10s = to PR, like if "PR" was a variable.

I'm fairly certain that errata on pre-existing powers already said it was always this.

#6 Gaire

Gaire

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

They changed their syntax on power write-ups, then, because in all previous books psychic power damage is listed as PR x d10, not just PRd10. I can understand the confusion.

#7 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

PR x d10 apparently confused people who thought you rolled a single d10 and multiplied it by your PR (i.e. roll a 9 casting at PR 5 = 40 damage), where the proper thing to do was to roll a number of d10s equal to the effective PR (so PR 6 = roll 6d10),

I think PRd10 is a more natural way to write the normal gaming algorithm. Perhaps (PR)d10 would be better, I dunno.

#8 steg51

steg51

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

When it says "Rending damage" what is the rule for rending? 

#9 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

steg51 said:

When it says "Rending damage" what is the rule for rending? 

Rending damage refers to damage type. There are four types of damage: Energy, Explosive, Impact and Rending. Their main purpose is determining which set of Critical Damage tables the damage uses if a Critical is caused.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer,Ark of Lost Souls, and Hammer of the Emperor

I no longer write for, or am employed by, Fantasy Flight Games in any fashion. All of my comments are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of any employer, past, present, or future.

#10 Captain Ventris

Captain Ventris

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

That's just what type of damage it is, and only comes into play when determining which critical damage tables to use. That's grabbed my attention before, too, Rending being a rule in Table Top.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS