Potential New Weapon SQ

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pyrus

Pyrus

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:52 AM

I'm poking around with statting out some Orks for a DW game, and decided they aren't shoot-and-scoot enough. So, I'm thinking of house-ruling a SQ for some of the Ork ranged weapons to give them more of a rushing tide feel.

Assault - This weapon may be fired as part of a move action. The weapon gains 'Inaccurate' until the beginning of your next turn. If the weapon is already 'Inaccurate' then there are no additional penalties.

For my purposes, I'm not too worried about the implications - Orks firing on full auto while at full run. I've got some IG fodder for them to shoot up, since their guns aren't likely to trouble the Marines much save for the largest of Hordes. I do not plan on adding this to most of their weapons, just the basic Shoota and perhaps one or two specialty weapons.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or anything like that, feel free to comment. With a little refinement, this might be a tool to give the occasional xenos battle a little bit of spice.

#2 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

Pyrus said:

I'm poking around with statting out some Orks for a DW game, and decided they aren't shoot-and-scoot enough. So, I'm thinking of house-ruling a SQ for some of the Ork ranged weapons to give them more of a rushing tide feel.

Assault - This weapon may be fired as part of a move action. The weapon gains 'Inaccurate' until the beginning of your next turn. If the weapon is already 'Inaccurate' then there are no additional penalties.

For my purposes, I'm not too worried about the implications - Orks firing on full auto while at full run. I've got some IG fodder for them to shoot up, since their guns aren't likely to trouble the Marines much save for the largest of Hordes. I do not plan on adding this to most of their weapons, just the basic Shoota and perhaps one or two specialty weapons.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or anything like that, feel free to comment. With a little refinement, this might be a tool to give the occasional xenos battle a little bit of spice.

Hmm, Ork weapons already are Inaccurate, except for them, so you'd be making them so all around? Otherwise, there's no penalty for the Orks to use it. Orks already can't hit anything with any part of their gun but the butt, and they aren't supposed to.

Seems odd to be trying to improve Ork's shootiness, when that is supposed to be one of their shortcomings. Oh well, I hope it works out for you. Could be of use for some non-Orks, though, who can hit the broadside of a Broadside.

#3 Pyrus

Pyrus

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

The "Inaccurate" portion of the SQ is for using it for non-orks.

There are no additional penalties for Orks using weapons with this rule - as you said, it isn't very likely they're going to hit anything. Orks do not ignore inaccurate, just the "unreliable" quality.

Ork fiction presents them as loving loud, rapidfire guns, but being known for their tidal charges. This just lets them fire as they make their approach without forcing them to slow down and fire normally. It just seemed Orky to me.

Further research seems to indicate that there may be a horde quality that does something similar. (I am sadly guilty of doing most of my DW setup stuff during downtime at work, away from my books so I have to wing it and confirm afterward.)

#4 Saibot

Saibot

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

I think the easiest solution would be to give them the Hip Shooting talent and while they only count as making Standard Attacks mechanically, you can fluff it out as bullets flying everywhere, but only a few ever manage to hit.

And the Horde Trait you might be refering to is "Wild Fire" from Mark of the Xenos, however I do not think it is quite what you are looking for

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS