• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 91Vaapad013

91Vaapad013

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

Hello there,

I have only the Core Set so far and a Targaryen Plot card (Condemned by the Realm) and it's states "When revealed, choose a player. Then, that opponent must choose and kill a character he or she does not control, if able."

Is this basically a multiplayer effect? I don't see the meaning behind it. If i choose, in a two player game, my opponent, he kills one of MY characters. Then that opponent chooses ME to do the same? Resulting in one of each of our characters being killed? Also, in a three or four player game, how would this effect work?

Thanks

#2 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,717 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:05 AM

91Vaapad013 said:

I have only the Core Set so far and a Targaryen Plot card (Condemned by the Realm) and it's states "When revealed, choose a player. Then, that opponent must choose and kill a character he or she does not control, if able."
Person A reveals the plot. They choose Person B. Then, Person B chooses a character controlled by any player other than Person B. That character dies.

91Vaapad013 said:

If i choose, in a two player game, my opponent, he kills one of MY characters.
More to the point, in a 2-player game, you must choose your opponent and they must choose one of your characters to die. So, unless you have characters that you want to be dead, it is a pretty limited plot in a 2-player game.

91Vaapad013 said:

Then that opponent chooses ME to do the same? Resulting in one of each of our characters being killed?
Where in the world are you getting this idea? Nowhere on the card does it say the chosen player also chooses a player, nor does it say anything about more than 1 character being killed. This doesn't happen at all.

91Vaapad013 said:

Also, in a three or four player game, how would this effect work?
In a 3- or 4-player game, you use the plot to gang up on and kill the most important character of a mutual enemy. Player A reveals the plot and chooses Player B. Player B can then choose a character controlled by Players A, C, or D to die. Assuming Player A trusts Player B not to stab him in the back, this is a good way to get rid of that power-house character controlled by Player D.

It's a plot that is designed for multi-player games that encourages players to make deals.

#3 91Vaapad013

91Vaapad013

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for your reply and the answer makes complete sense. For some reason, I thought that, unless stated, all Plot cards were instructions for all players to follow (thus every player would have to choose a player and do the instruction on the card). I just bought this game last week and started playing this past weekend. I think I have a lot to learn still. :-)

Thanks again.

#4 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

Welcome to the game!

I91Vaapad013 said:

For some reason, I thought that, unless stated, all Plot cards were instructions for all players to follow

In fact, you got this exactly backwards. In this game, when a card effect (including plots) tells you to do something ("Do X"etc.) or uses the word "you", it always refers to the controller of the card, and only him.

#5 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,717 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

91Vaapad013 said:

I thought that, unless stated, all Plot cards were instructions for all players to follow (thus every player would have to choose a player and do the instruction on the card).
It is a little confusing because you're right - plot cards are instructions that all players follow. But you follow them as written, and only to the extend stated on the card. So when the plot card tells "you" to do something, "you" do - but other players don't. So you do have to be on the look-out for words like "you," "players," and "opponents" to know who the instructions apply to.

Also be on the look-out for the difference between players and characters. If a plot says to "kill all characters," it literally means all characters - not just the ones controlled by you or your opponents. But if the plot says "kill all opponent's characters," it'd be different.

That's all just a very long way of backing up what Rat said. Take plots (and most cards, really) very literally. Don't add other stuff in, no matter how tempting it is or how much more sense the card would make if you just assume it "means" to do something else.

#6 Taytus

Taytus

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

Hi guys, it's possible to chose  myself and kill my opponent creature in a 1vs 1 game?

Thanks.

#7 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,717 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Taytus said:

Hi guys, it's possible to chose  myself and kill my opponent creature in a 1vs 1 game?
Well, the plot text is:

"When revealed, choose an opponent. Then, that opponent must choose and kill a character he or she does not control, if able."

So no, you cannot choose yourself because you are not one of your own "opponents."

#8 Taytus

Taytus

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

In this case, the option is a "may" or do I have to chose my opponent in a 1 vs 1?. Can I just ignore the card in a 1 vs 1?

Thank you.

#9 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,717 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

There is no "may" in this effect. When the plot is revealed, you choose an opponent. Like all other passives, you have to choose an opponent whether you want to or not. Once chosen, the effect says that the opponent must choose a character to kill. 

The only way you can use this in 1-on-1 without a character of your own being killed is if you have no characters to kill in the first place.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS