rpgreview.net/node/41

This may surprise you.

jh

#2 Johannes_Tippmeister

Johannes_Tippmeister

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

Hmm, that's a daring idea ;-)  As a system, I've already become interested in Mouseguard. It seems to have cranked the dial all the way over to 'cooperative storytelling' and using some of the techniques will greatly improve my wfrp 3rd ed. games, I am sure.

Now that I think about it I feel that the 'Enemy Within' is probably more honestly converted to Mouseguard than it is to D&D, let's say. The mice in mouseguard are underdogs, prey to pretty much everything else. And so, same as wfrp, it's not power fantasy.  Well, I'll see, I just ordered the box. And the comics. For Mousedom!

Oh, by the way, if you're collecting the comics - there's a special hardcover comic from Mouseguard that was only available during Free Comic Book Day 2012 at Jetpack Comics (Rochester, NH). Lo and behold, they still have copies and they only charge for shipping and handling (6$ US, 20$ international) - the actual comic is (still) free. I ordered one and it's already on its way to Germany.

All the info you need can be found here, as the first item in the news: http://www.mouseguard.net/

#3 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

That is interesting and yes surprising.  The box set of Mouseguard also uses cards for the most basic actions (works well with its combat system of choosing sets of actions).

Mouseguard is one of the two systems (One Ring being the other) that I ponder and steal from most for running WFRP (e.g., both have travel as a strong theme and player turns or similar constructs similar to an Interlude where players have more control over what's going on).  I was struck by and agreed with a comment that for all the "lower key heroics" of mouseguard it also has a Cthulhoid tone at times.  A bear is like a Great Old One - it can romp through your settlement and destroy it with little attention to you and you can never kill it, you must use "mouse science" to drive it off. 

That said, the idea of taking a WFRP adventure into Mouseguard never occurred to me.  The investigative/you're in a large political realm that is actually split up into factions core of WFRP ports easily to the Mouseguard setting.  Amp up "mad mouse scientists" (maybe even a conspiracy of them dabbling in forbidden mouse sciences) and you've got something perhaps.  Edge of Night (for all its need of fixing to run) strikes me as the easiest WFRP 3rd edition adventure to "port over".  A big mouse soiree at which different political factions scheme but an uber enemy is really targeting things.

#4 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

I think the biggest difference between Mouseguard and WFRP is in character vs plot focus.

Mouseguard is a game that is 100% about the characters. What each character can do is secondary to why they do it, based on their BIG (Belief, Instinct, and Goal). WFRP swings the other way; There are no personality/goal-based traits in WFRP. Your character is defined by what they can do.*

What is important in WFRP is plot. The GM brings a story for the players to run through. This is the opposite of Mouseguard, where the GM isn't supposed to step up to the table with a defined plotline, but should be riffing on what is happening live at the table, looking for ways to challenge the character's BIGs.

That is not to say you couldn't play a Mouseguard (or other Burning Wheel game) in the Warhammer setting. MG would just be a poor fit for your standard Enemy Within-style campaign. Those "plot-driven" adventures are the antithesis of what is supposed to be happening in a MG game.

* I realize that many people (including myself) play the game differently and add more character-driven traits, but I'm talking about the system as written.  

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#5 HedgeWizard

HedgeWizard

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

I love MouseGuard and use the system concepts to help form my own house rules. I would like to run a Mouse Guard one-off at some point, but on the rare times we meet to play RPGs, it's always WFRP for now. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS