Death Star

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

As the second Death Star appears on the Core Set box and is used as the game icon for X-Wing rather than the titular ship, I imagine that the battle station will have some impact on the game, depending on the scenario.

Assuming that is indeed the case, how do we think it will apply gameplay-wise? After all, even though neither iteration of the Death Star is able to focus its superlaser on starfighters, it still poses a huge threat to them in the form of turbolaser turrets, and the capacity to launch an effectively limitless number of TIE units. Let's also keep in mind that in any scenario that would put a Rebel fighter within range of the Death Star's turbolasers, its size would dominate the tabletop, making it for all intents and purposes terrain.

What are some ways in which this technological terror could be utilized in the game?

#2 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

My first thought: the reverse side of the hypothetical flimsy game mat that I. J. Thompson keeps going on about. I'm having a hard time envisioning the Death Star getting factored into game play, but that is discussed a little bit in other threads, like the Trench Run idea.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#3 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

For a cheap solution, an expansion pack for $10 that comes with cardboard tokens of turbolasers from a bird's-eye view. These tokens are placed in various places on the terrain and can fire at the Rebel craft using the laser range guides. I suspect they would get a really low bonus though, because the snub fighters would be so small they'd evade the turbolasers.

I don't think they'll do something that cheap-looking though. But at the same time, I can't imagine them actually making turbolaser minifigures.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#4 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Both the Game and the Tournament mention scenerios.  The Death Star should never be a unit, but a scenerio, or maybe even a set of them culminating in the trench run.  Though I have to admit, being forced to fly straight for several turns, while Darth Vader comes up behind you doesn't sound like too much fun.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#5 spacemonkeymafia

spacemonkeymafia

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Yes, but I think the scenario wouldn't be YOU flying straight down the trench, but rather an auto AI type ship/squad doing it while one side tries to defend the trench runners and the other side tries to destroy them before they get to within torpedo range.

#6 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

I watched ROTJ again last night, and was enjoying the scenes where lando and wedge and mates were flying through the second death star to get to the core.

I was thinking of a scenario played out on modular style dungeon terrain (such as descent or space hulk) where the imperials are chasing the rebels through these interconnected tunnels to the core. one wrong turn and you smush yourself against the wall. It probably wont work well in terms of gameplay but theres not a lot of options when it comes to death stars.

#7 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

ironman said:

I watched ROTJ again last night, and was enjoying the scenes where lando and wedge and mates were flying through the second death star to get to the core.

I was thinking of a scenario played out on modular style dungeon terrain (such as descent or space hulk) where the imperials are chasing the rebels through these interconnected tunnels to the core. one wrong turn and you smush yourself against the wall. It probably wont work well in terms of gameplay but theres not a lot of options when it comes to death stars.

I love the idea of having to avoid the walls, but I think you're right that it would be difficult with this system. Fighters wouldn't have room to turn around inside a corridor, so it would have to be pretty interconnected, more like a PacMan layout. The trick then would be judging the distance to make the turns at intersections. And the playing field would have to be pretty big.

Of course, my grand dream that will never happen is to play on an indoor basketball court with multiple squadrons of fighters, perhaps even with crude, home-made corvettes and medical frigates to scale. Epic.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#8 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

that would be very very cool I would probably be willing to participate in something like that bring my mates along to be in the rest of my squadron. have to say it would be lame for people who were knocked out of the big game early, you would probably need smaller tables alongside for those knocked out to play littler games, unless you had re-enforcement waves.

Im thinking about making a small frigate or cruiser style ship, it will be more like a terrain peice, probably about 12" by 4", if I can find materials and stuff to make it from. got my board and asteroids finished ready.

#9 lkb57

lkb57

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Post some pics of your asteroid mock-ups when you get the chance!

#10 Thrawnshand

Thrawnshand

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

What if you used a random tile generator at the end of each tile, to be placed after everyone has decided movement?  Make it more of, we have never been in this tunnel before, so every turn could be a surprise?

X-Wings-10 TIE Fighters-16 TIE Advanced-1 Y-Wings-4  Falcon-1 Slave-1-1 TIE Interceptors-4 A-wing-4 HWK-290-3 TIE Bomber -4 B-wing-2 Imperial Shuttle-2 Imperial Aces-2 Rebel Transport-1 Tanitive IV-1

Why does Luke whine when Ben Kenobi dies, only having know the man a few days, yet Biggs, his childhood friend blows up behind him, covering his 6, and all he does is a double take?

#11 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

Uh… I don't think anything larger than the millenium falcon will ever be covered by this game scenario in terms of being an actual unit. I could be wrong, but given the base size and cost of the MF I think anything bigger (correlian corvette?) would be a special, hefty purchase that one would buy for a group or become the centerpiece of a scenario to destroy it. Obviously the Death Star is impossible.

X-wing is a dogfighting simulator, so I don't see the coolant-shaft-chase from ROTJ being a scenario or something supported by the engine. Too linear, and it essentially becomes a die-roll fest to see who lives and who dies (since there is no maneuvering and the emprie would always start behind the rebel players).

Turbloasers on a surface map work because ANH was all about dogfighting above the surface.

I think the OP is making too much out of the cover image. The Death Star is iconic to Star Wars and they wanted to drop some kind of eye-catching detail in the background instead of an ordinary moon. The DSII is also more distinct than the DSI because of the jagged superstructure. The designers probably dropped in the first Death Star, but the art director felt the DSII was much more interesting and decided to go with that one instead.

#12 CDAT

CDAT

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

I am new to this game, but I am seeing alot of people saying that they will never make anything bigger than the falcon as this is a "fighter simulator" I have not seen where it says that it is a fighter game it is listed as Star Wars X-Wing Minatures game, so ok you start with the X-wing but I missed the part where they say that is all the game is about, with the current table size sure but what says that you can not play on a larger size? Just my .02C

#13 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

ironman said:

I've been thinking of something very similar to this (got the idea last week at the FLGS, there was a Flames of War table with roads set up next to the X-Wing space mat). I suddenly saw the ships flying down the 'roads', trying to pick maneuvers that kept them from crashing into the sides… One of these days…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS