When does Soul Reaver release?

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 Seeten

Seeten

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

As the topic says, wondering when this book comes out.

#2 angelis1974

angelis1974

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

Not sure elsewhere,

But Esdevium games (distributers) list it as being available from next week in the UK

#3 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

i picked it up from my flgs yesterday. kabalite warrior is very interesting

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody!

#4 Mjoellnir

Mjoellnir

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

Due to financial reasons, lack of a store who has it and parents who control my mail and tried to steal my Deathwatch core book out of my room to prove to a family consultant that I am mentally ill and evil I have to wait for the download version.

#5 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

HappyDaze said:

i picked it up from my flgs yesterday. kabalite warrior is very interesting

Care to spill anything on, say, Alternate Ranks?

Mjoellnir said:

Due to financial reasons, lack of a store who has it and parents who control my mail and tried to steal my Deathwatch core book out of my room to prove to a family consultant that I am mentally ill and evil I have to wait for the download version.

Good lord. What a situation that must be.

The only solution is gaming with them and the therapist.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#6 lerak

lerak

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

Beware however: nobody knows what a therapist really thinks…

#7 Mjoellnir

Mjoellnir

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:51 AM

Doesn't matter anyway. She made a horrible mistake (she wanted to talk to me) so my parents ditched her after she didn't completely agree with them. Now they have found another one. Former alcoholic turned addiction counselor turned author who's now officially retired. He only talks to my parents and has diagnosed that I'm addicted, mentally deformed (hope I'm translating that right but even in German it doesn't make much sense) and "don't have myself". At least that's what my mother tells me he said. Yeah, I wonder when my life turned into a crappy, surreal movie.-_- At least I'll get my bachelor's degree in a few months and can move out.

Back to topic: What's there about the special connection of the DE and She-Who-Thirsts? How do they stave her off rules-wise and is there any fluff about how it's different from what the Craftworlders do? (Still hoping that the career path can somehow be modified to a corsair.)

#8 Seeten

Seeten

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

I literally can't wait for this to come out =)

#9 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

My onlt question is what kind of alternate ranks are there? Are there starting ones? Can you be a Trueborn? Just generally, what kind of flexibility is offered when it comes to breaking out of the mold of "Kabalite Warrior"? Because we all know people will be interested in playing Wyches, Inclubi, and even Hominculi too.

Hmm.. guess that wasn't one question afterall… >.>

#10 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

Blood Pact said:

My onlt question is what kind of alternate ranks are there? Are there starting ones? Can you be a Trueborn? Just generally, what kind of flexibility is offered when it comes to breaking out of the mold of "Kabalite Warrior"? Because we all know people will be interested in playing Wyches, Inclubi, and even Hominculi too.

Alas, I didn't have room to write up anything for non-Kabalite Dark Eldar as player characters. Between the armoury (used by both player characters and NPCs alike), the NPCs, the starships and vehicles, the Dark Eldar player rules, and the Kabalite Warrior career, I'm pretty sure I went beyond my allotted word-count anyway. As much as I'd have liked to do a whole load more stuff with this project, there simply wasn't the space or the time to produce it.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#11 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

Oh well, it's a little disapointing, but I doubt it'd really be of any hindrance to anyone truly dedicated to pulling off what they're interested in (well, maybe the Incubi or Homunculus). Wyches and their fellow blood-sport loving ilk are little different than specialized warriors, who take drugs and wear skimpy armour.

I'm sure I'll be well satisfied.

Besides, there's always the (admitedly, probably slim) chance of seeing some more in another book.

#12 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

Just a note: Trueborn is available for 500xp at character creation. It alters your advancement costs for Fellowship, reducing them to the least expensive advancement rate (normally Fellowship is at the most expensive advancement rate). It's really a good deal if you plan to take two or more Fel advances.

#13 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

What a tragedy!

And here I was, hoping for Haemonculi and Scourges.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#14 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:38 AM

Plushy said:

And here I was, hoping for Haemonculi and Scourges.

While I haven't got the published book yet, I did include both Haemonculi and Scourges in the bestiary, so there are at least examples there of those sorts of characters. A sufficiently-enterprising soul could use those as inspiration for appropriate character archetypes/alternate ranks (I'd put Scourges as an alternate rank or elite advance, personally - they're likely to be Kabalite by birth, but have chosen to be augmented to become Scourges).

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#15 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

Hey NO-1, while I know you don't give official answers here, what is your take on weapon traing and Darklight weapons? They are not listed on the Exotic table, but above it as a class of weapons instead. Would a single weapon training for all three Darklight weapons be appropriate or should each be taken separately?

#16 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

HappyDaze said:

Just a note: Trueborn is available for 500xp at character creation. It alters your advancement costs for Fellowship, reducing them to the least expensive advancement rate (normally Fellowship is at the most expensive advancement rate). It's really a good deal if you plan to take two or more Fel advances.

Cool, and I would take Trueborn even if it didn't do that, cause I'd just love to be a poncy git and lord my superior heritage over folks like that.

And since noone else has asked you yet Daze, would you be so kind as to furnish us with some spoilers? Perhaps the Table of Contents to start with?

#17 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

HappyDaze said:

Hey NO-1, while I know you don't give official answers here, what is your take on weapon traing and Darklight weapons? They are not listed on the Exotic table, but above it as a class of weapons instead. Would a single weapon training for all three Darklight weapons be appropriate or should each be taken separately?

Oops. Sorry, Darklight weapons are listed as Exotic, so this question should be ignored.

However, I do wonder if Dark Eldar Kabalite Warriors are intended to start with Speak Language (Dark Eldar) +10. They get it twice - once from being of the Dark Eldar species, and again in the Kabalite Warrior career. It's not really unbalancing for them to have it at +10 from the start, just a bit unusual.

#18 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

Damn dirty double-post!

#19 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Blood Pact said:

HappyDaze said:

Cool, and I would take Trueborn even if it didn't do that, cause I'd just love to be a poncy git and lord my superior heritage over folks like that.

And since noone else has asked you yet Daze, would you be so kind as to furnish us with some spoilers? Perhaps the Table of Contents to start with?

ToC is a bid dull to type out, but the adventure ends by page 96. After that it's information on DE PCs, NPCs, and gear (including weapons, armour, vehicles, and a pair of spacecraft). They have the Skyboard on page 125, and it's only Scarce so Explorers with Pilot (Personal) might find it very appealing.

The big thing with the DE is the aquiring of Pain Tokens. You get these when others within (Perception Bonus) meters of you is killed, takes critical damage, is stunned, pinned, fails a fear test, etc. (there's a full list and each DE also gets to make a choice to tailor it to his own kink). You get eight of them and they convert to a "use or lose" Fate Point. There are several special DE Talents that require spending a Fate Point to activate them, and they allow all sorts of soul vampire bits like Unnatural Strength (x2) for a time, or regeneration of wounds as you get more Pain Tokens.

My only worry is that splinter weapons are fairly weak. I've been playing Deathwatch and (more recently) Black Crusade, and I feel really bad for any Kabalite Warrior forced to engage Space Marines with splinter weapons. They are only slightly better than lasguns until you account for Toxic.

#20 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

HappyDaze said:

My only worry is that splinter weapons are fairly weak. I've been playing Deathwatch and (more recently) Black Crusade, and I feel really bad for any Kabalite Warrior forced to engage Space Marines with splinter weapons. They are only slightly better than lasguns until you account for Toxic.

Sadly, that's consistent with the tabletop game.  The basic splinter weapons really are not that impressive, and rely on toxins to do their dirty work.  It's worth mentioning that the Black Crusade Dark Eldar use much nastier toxins on their splinter weapons than the ones in Rogue Trader.  The BC ones have a -40 to the toughness test whereas in RT the toughness test is flat.  Using RT splinter weapons against marines, with their high toughness and resistance to poison, is likely a fatal mistake.  Even the BC version may have trouble punching through marine armour… and if it doesn't get through, no toxin damage for you.  Something more potent is a necessity.

Cheers,

- V.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS