• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

I'll start this one off on a hunch. I predict the next Talisman Expansion will be called:

Talisman: The Woodland Expansion

Regards,

Ell.

#2 evilmg

evilmg

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

It would be nice to add an expansion where players could spend their gold.

I think City could be next, with all sort of potions, magic weapons, other cool items and chances to change proffesion (good old days)

#3 Triple A

Triple A

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

Woodlands and/or Forest sound far too peaceful.

I vote for Swamp!

Lots of nasty creatures and extra toadings!

#4 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

Rather than a supernatural or semi/demi-God type of being to be the final boss, what about

A truly gigantic spider… strength at least 12, of course. If you defeat it, you may be able to get treasure from previous unlucky adventurers (new "Treasure" deck).

Also, maybe set the board up like an inward spiral towards the Spider's Cave or whatever. As you get close, maybe webbing slows down your progress.

Maybe as you enter, you have to have a roll to determine if you create vibrations on the web - if you do the hideous beast speeds out and grabs you; miss a turn, get posioned/lose a life, etc. etc. 

Either defeated or escaped your return to the main board spaces could be another roll (The Spider guards a Warp or Portal to the usual suspect spaces).

I understand that the creators want each expansion to not rely on another, but I still think it would be cool if such a portal, trapdoor, whatever could also have a choice or two on the Dungeon or Highland boards to teleport to: Caverns, Hall of Darkness, Canyons, Lost City, etc.

Besides a Monstrous Spider as an end boss, Woodlands should have menacing spaces such as: Forgotten Cemetery, Throne/Kingdom of Elfhame, Hard-to-pass Gorges, Dense, Deep woods (either you must have the guide or similar, or can only move 1 space/get stuck etc.

I could see a space similar to the Rune spaces, which could also serve as portals. Rather than finding trinkets, various or magical herbs, rare animal or insect eggs, as potential values for exchange with the Mystic or the Enchantress

An Enchanted Water Fall, where renewal of various attributes can be had.

-Oberon

#5 TheBob

TheBob

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the old times cape, but doubt that would be next, the next one should be a board addon, hopefully the city(and maybe it will come with more gold that is very much needed) goin by that route, not as an expansion of sorts but i would like to see a carring case of some sorts to hold everything including the massive adventure deck, more gold tokens, and dice.

#6 Froman

Froman

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

prediction - corner - forest/city  50/50

I would prefer to see a necropolis/swamp corner

What ever get released will be purchased and played right away!!

#7 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

Talisman: The Dark Swamp Expansion

That would be a good take on a Forest board!

Ell.

#8 Crag78

Crag78

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

I totally agree with evilmg about better ways to spend our gold.With a lot of new objects that we could buy exclusively in the City board.Remember the Two-Hand Sword and the Battleaxe from the 2nd edition City board? And we still haven't seen any range weapons yet.

#9 Windyhead

Windyhead

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

Crag78 said:

I totally agree with evilmg about better ways to spend our gold.With a lot of new objects that we could buy exclusively in the City board.Remember the Two-Hand Sword and the Battleaxe from the 2nd edition City board? And we still haven't seen any range weapons yet.

Spend gold on new weapon, armour and other stuff is what many people is waiting since main game :),
but forest expansion with herb as thrinket also cool.

#10 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

I think that the City should be the next expansion, if you follow the line of games workshop. The City got the big cover on the box)

But on the other side, if they make the Forest expansion first, then they have more time to think about how they want to create the city.

The swamp can be included in the Forest expansion.

The title, Woodland expansion sounds nice:D

#11 Triple A

Triple A

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

True, the City and Forest expansions are "traditional".

But I'd be quite happy if FFG did something completely different and original, and avoided creating the City altogether.

I was never a big fan of that particular expansion in the old days.

#12 Nioreh

Nioreh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:12 AM

Dark Swamp / Forest etc +1

Im hoping it will include some anti-magic features to make spellcasters less powerful.

#13 natstar

natstar

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:31 AM

Please tell them to make a water/sea based one because people want something new also it would allow new characters to go with it and the next expansion is already planned however i am talking about the expansion after that lol.

It would be nice if they sold character cards on their website as well such as the promo ones that they're not planning to put in future expansions it would make them extra money from Talisman and would give more people a reason to use their website which would mean they would look at the other stuff they sell so they would sell more games.

#14 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:42 AM

natstar said:

Please tell them to make a water/sea based one because people want something new also it would allow new characters to go with it and the next expansion is already planned however i am talking about the expansion after that lol.

I have never had or played Talisman 3rd Ed. so Forest Expansion Set, or however it will be called, will be pretty new to me

Enter the Talisman Island!

#15 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

I'm excited by this thread! When I posted possible new spaces for Forest expansion, I had no idea if anything like them, was used in previous editions. I'll probably make similar (twisted) City space suggestions

I was looking rather intently at the main board corners where Village and City are and I have noticed that it shows the River moving towards the area that the future sets will encompass.

So this means, to me, that the river will flow through part of these sets, at least, *and/or* possibly empty into larger bodies of water; a lake in the forest, or the Waterfall that I mentioned?  Or in the City's case, either "the sea", or at least border the "docks" of the city harbor.

Does anyone else see this and wonder how it will "flow" to the next expansions?

City spaces I would suggest:  An expanded Tavern or drinking hole with new possibilities …. maybe even a brothel?  The only reason for a brothel would be to meet strangers or followers who might be of value later. Perhaps a seasoned Woman of the Night would be helpful to evade certain enemies, if you know what I mean, hehee. Maybe there are lower levels of Nobility that need to be returned from this scene or other City scenes, to the Castle (like the Princess) for rewards. 

Another "Prince" whose cavorting needs to be reigned in. Poppa King would pay for his return no doubt. But maybe other City strangers are helpful within the City or without. The Enchantress has a novice Herbalist who needs safe passage (Quest!) to the Forest to bring back a valuable plant or thing.

The King's Historian wants to journey to the Lost City for either research or to find someone or something valuable.

Could a Sheriff charge you with taking or bringing back a prisoner in the Dungeon's cell?

and so on! (but there must be rewards!)

City End boss:   Crime-Lord! (or medieval version there of) who has corrupt soldiers or what not at every turn too!

~pant-pant~ exhausted now! -Oberon

#16 Crag78

Crag78

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

In the previous City board editions every street spaces was connected to a location whether you visit or stay in the streets and draw 1 or 2 City cards.Here are the locations from 2nd edition:

-The Enchantress and the Doctor are still there and do pretty much the same thing.
-The Alchemist is replaced by the Apothecary and still transform objects into gold but you may also buy a potion and roll a dice to see what happen.
-The High Temple is similar to the Temple.
-Magic Emporium a place to buy spells.
-Stables to buy horses and mules.
-Armoury to buy weapons and armours.
-Anarchists' Guild a place for neutral characters.
-The 6 Fates Inn is similar to the Tavern except you may participate a money card game in which you must roll a dice and add your craft then look at the chart to see what happen.
There's more locations in which you must roll a dice like the Royal Castle and it's Donjon prison,Town Square,the Bank,etc.I hope the future City board will be a mix of old locations and new ones.

#17 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

Crag78 said:

In the previous City board editions every street spaces was connected to a location whether you visit or stay in the streets and draw 1 or 2 City cards.Here are the locations from 2nd edition:

-The Enchantress and the Doctor are still there and do pretty much the same thing.
-The Alchemist is replaced by the Apothecary and still transform objects into gold but you may also buy a potion and roll a dice to see what happen.
-The High Temple is similar to the Temple.
-Magic Emporium a place to buy spells.
-Stables to buy horses and mules.
-Armoury to buy weapons and armours.
-Anarchists' Guild a place for neutral characters.
-The 6 Fates Inn is similar to the Tavern except you may participate a money card game in which you must roll a dice and add your craft then look at the chart to see what happen.
There's more locations in which you must roll a dice like the Royal Castle and it's Donjon prison,Town Square,the Bank,etc.I hope the future City board will be a mix of old locations and new ones.

I think that the stables is the most important location that you want to visit, because mules is not so easy to get.

And Armoury can become interesting if FFG will add a lot a good weapons that you can buy.

A great axe or great sword that gives +2 in battle, or craft based items that add + 1 or 2 to your craft that are not weapons for the priest or other characters.

They can add craft weapons too of course.

You get plenty of gold in the highlands, so now you must spend it in the City.

Anyway, a idea came into mind.

How about a shop where you can buy every object for a price, that has go to the discard pile. You can search through the discard pile and take that object back.

#18 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

I think the City Expansion will work better as a small expansion than as a board expansion. Travelling around a board full of shops and with curious events will not an adventurous experience. But this doesn't mean that old favourite City cards should not be seen in 4th edition: they can arrange them into adventure cards that add the presence of authority and civilization on the board as some cards already do (Royal Decree, Patrol come to mind).

I will like a City Expansion that expands the City Space, adding additional rules to it, for example a shop with a wider Purchase Deck, or even some special quest to achieve the Master Classes, which will need a lot of rebalancing to suit the current game. For example, the three standard locations (Enchantress, Doctor and Alchemist) could be reworked into decks, just as the Warlock Cave has been replaced by WQ deck since Reaper Expansion came out. To justify a whole small box expansion, and considering the decreasing need of additional Adventure Cards and Spells, this expansion could address non-draw spaces like City, Village, Chapel, Graveyard, Castle.

#19 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

The_Warlock said:

I think the City Expansion will work better as a small expansion than as a board expansion. Travelling around a board full of shops and with curious events will not an adventurous experience. But this doesn't mean that old favourite City cards should not be seen in 4th edition: they can arrange them into adventure cards that add the presence of authority and civilization on the board as some cards already do (Royal Decree, Patrol come to mind).

I will like a City Expansion that expands the City Space, adding additional rules to it, for example a shop with a wider Purchase Deck, or even some special quest to achieve the Master Classes, which will need a lot of rebalancing to suit the current game. For example, the three standard locations (Enchantress, Doctor and Alchemist) could be reworked into decks, just as the Warlock Cave has been replaced by WQ deck since Reaper Expansion came out. To justify a whole small box expansion, and considering the decreasing need of additional Adventure Cards and Spells, this expansion could address non-draw spaces like City, Village, Chapel, Graveyard, Castle.

I like your idea´s

So you are not actually moving into the city, but they add more shops to the city  board, with instructions what you can do if you land on the city space on the mainboard.

They could make some new rules for the city cards, to draw them on the village, tavern or city space itself, or maybe something else.

mmm not bad i think.

In this manner, we will not lose a lot of time. 

#20 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Why can't the next big board expansion have both a (smaller) Cityscape and *something else*?

Previously I have queried that the 'River' seems to flow off the main board on both the City and Village corners. My thought is that those expansion boards could feature a lake, sea, ocean or something that the river flows into.

So out of all the spaces on the board (and what is that, around 30?), certainly the most adjacent spaces to the main board could feature a slightly enhanced City - afterall, we don't need all those shops, but maybe 3 or so? A stable - royal or not, a High Temple, - hey how about a zoo, magical or otherwise?

The other spaces could be the river and whatever it flows into, the much spoken of Ocean, with Islands and Pirates.  How about a sewer that flows from the City to a potential Dungeon. Oops, there I go again, thinking it would be cool to integrate the expansions rather than them all being stand alones…

-Oberon

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS