Hopes for the Lathe Worlds?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

Since we're not very sure when it's coming out, I decided to start this. What do you hope to see in The Lathe Worlds?

Personally, I want to see more on the Legio Cybernetica. Playable robots might be fun, if very stupid. Also rules for the Skitarii and who knows what else!

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#2 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

I'd love to see both more fluff on the various tech-heresies we've been told about as well as an indepth discussion on the relation between the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Inquisition. For a start.

#3 nethru

nethru

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:46 AM

Skitari for sure.  Also looking forward to tech-assassins.

#4 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

Also, Knight Titans.

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#5 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:28 AM

Plushy said:

Also, Knight Titans.

I think that'd be awesome to see make a comeback.

#6 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

While I admit the Tech Assassins are really cool, I'm really hoping the book will touch on alternate career ranks for some of the other orders of Tech Priest like the Logis, the Rune Priests, and such.  Maybe some of the higher levels of the priesthood for Rogue Trader and Deathwatch campaigns?

#7 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

Plushy said:

Since we're not very sure when it's coming out, I decided to start this. What do you hope to see in The Lathe Worlds?

Personally, I want to see more on the Legio Cybernetica. Playable robots might be fun, if very stupid. Also rules for the Skitarii and who knows what else!

I hope NOT to see pages of "filler words" with simple things being stretched to pages without some hard facts and new examples.

What I hope FOR is more inside to the structure fo the calixian mechanicus, the position, rights, does & don´ts of Technomants and their ilk and [SYSTEM WISE] good rules for the use of Trade(Technomant) with actual game impact.

#8 Luthor Harkon

Luthor Harkon

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

nethru said:

Skitari for sure.  Also looking forward to tech-assassins.

As you wish…

#9 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:29 AM

Psion said:

Maybe some of the higher levels of the priesthood for Rogue Trader and Deathwatch campaigns?

I'm going to keep quiet about this book until it comes out, but I will say that you should not expect rules for RT or DW inside a DH supplement. Certainly things can be adapted (especially simple things, like weapons and equipment), but anything beyond that would be house-rules only I'm afraid.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#10 Dok Martin

Dok Martin

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

Divine Light if Sollex ^^

#11 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

Lots of alternate ranks, hopefully for Rank 0 fellas. 

I'd kill for nice Skitarii Tech-Guard rules (new career? Guardsman alt rank?)

Legio Cybernetica robots are so cool looking.

Knight Titans need a comeback.

Lots of implants and bionics, too. Hopefully cheap.

#12 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

I’ve seen it mentioned twice, so I thought I’d ask a question:

(Aside: Knights aren’t Titans. They’re Knights. )

What role would Knights, massive walkers that stride across the battlefield, play inside an investigation themed RPG?

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#13 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

H.B.M.C. said:

I’ve seen it mentioned twice, so I thought I’d ask a question:

(Aside: Knights aren’t Titans. They’re Knights. )

What role would Knights, massive walkers that stride across the battlefield, play inside an investigation themed RPG?

BYE

They're a piece of funny equipment that doesn't get much publicity in 40k at large. As a one-man craft, they would make an excellent "cinematic moment" in a more action-packed campaign. The weapon aren't too obscene - an Autocannon and a Chainsword - and they're not completely impenetrable in terms of armour. 

I guess I'm just a sucker for the more obscure stuff getting a second shot in the RPGs. Really, this book just has me excited and I'm trying to dig up anything neat the Mechanicus could make the grave error of arming PCs with.

#14 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Autocannon and “chainsword”? You have grossly, grossly underestimated what a Knight is.

The standard pattern Knight, the Paladin, has a large Battlecannon and a chainblade longer than a Leman Russ. They’re the type thing a squad of Marines would struggle to fight, not a ‘boss monster’ for a group of acolytes.

They’re far and above simple walkers, and were around the level of Stompas (before Stompas became equivalents to Warhound Titans). If you brought one into regular 40K it would likely be a 2-3 Structure Point Super-Heavy Walker. They might fit in DW or Only War, but not in DH.

BYE

#15 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

H.B.M.C. said:

Autocannon and “chainsword”? You have grossly, grossly underestimated what a Knight is.

The standard pattern Knight, the Paladin, has a large Battlecannon and a chainblade longer than a Leman Russ. They’re the type thing a squad of Marines would struggle to fight, not a ‘boss monster’ for a group of acolytes.

They’re far and above simple walkers, and were around the level of Stompas (before Stompas became equivalents to Warhound Titans). If you brought one into regular 40K it would likely be a 2-3 Structure Point Super-Heavy Walker. They might fit in DW or Only War, but not in DH.

BYE

Lexicanum has mislead me. Thank you for the insight, HBMC!

#16 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

H.B.M.C. said:

BYE

Ah, are you sure about that, mate?  I know Knights are pretty tough, but I didn't think they were a Super-Heavy.  I had a look through my old Space Marine stuff (meaning the 6mm tabletop game, aka Epic).  I wasn't able to find the complete rules, but I did find one unit card.  A Knight household of 7 knights (2 units of 3, plus a command Knight) will set you back 550 points.  By comparison, a Leman Russ company of 10 tanks (3 units of 3, plus a command tank) costs 600 points.  Given that as a reference, they're a bit better than a Leman Russ, perhaps almost as 'ard as a Land Raider.  So, Knights are good… but, neither of those tanks is a super-heavy.  I can see a Knight absolutely flattening a sentinel 1 on 1, or being an even match for a Defiler or Dread, but I don't think they're in a Baneblade's weight class…

Oh, and you forgot the fore arc force shield.

In any case, a Knight is probably overkill for a Dark Heresy game.  Deathwatch, sure, throw that daemon possessed Knight at the players.  They don't need that many fate points, do they? 

Cheers,

- V.

#17 Lionus

Lionus

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

Yet we have Nemesis Dreadkinghts in Daemon Hunter.

#18 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

My main hope for the Lathes Worlds is to see further development of Belacane, one of the minor forge worlds in the Calixis Sector.

Back in the day, Black Industries opened up the Calixis Sector for fans to write in with suggestions for individual worlds. I got in there fast with Reth and Belacane, and my write up formed the basis of the sector guide to both of these worlds. Ever since then, I've kind of thought of these worlds as "my" worlds. (This feeling is, of course, totally irrational - I recognise that they're not "my" worlds in any sense at all!)

I wrote up Belacane very much in the spirit of 5th ed. 40k, which introduced the "five minutes to midnight" feel of the failing Imperium. 5th ed, mentioned that  the Golden Throne was failing, so I deliberately linked the Calixis Sector to that by making Belacane a centre for the production of Stasis fields… except that the Belacane Magi have lost the knowledge of how to manufacture them, and are desperately trying to cover this up to maintain their power and prestige.

My thinking was that Belacane was a microcosm for the failing Imperium - one of a number of key worlds whose knowledge was useful for keeping everything (especially the Golden Throne, which I reasoned would need some stasis tech) ticking over, and that for reasons of pride, the world's rulers are actually concealing information that the Imperium desperately needs to know.

I also gave a nod to the "Wizard of Oz" with the prideful Belacane Magi engaging in increasingly shameful and pathetic attempts to pretend that the most famous, ancient and powerful of their order is still alive.  

It was really nice when Rogue Trader explicitly gave a shout out to my interpretation of Belacane when it talked about how Rogue Traders use the world's stasis vaults to store their warrants of trade and banners. There was also recent coverage of the world in an ocean-stealing scenario in (I think) the Book of Judgement, though the treatment of the forge world there was a bit more generic. 

My main hope therefore for the Lathe Worlds is that Belacane gets some more love, and that we see more about its rulers' desperate attempts to conceal their own ignorance and maybe some interesting new stasis tech!   

#19 Zakalwe

Zakalwe

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

I hope they all rust, to make way for some real learning and progress in the name of the Emperor.

Interogator Z (rumored to be a Recongregator) 

#20 Saldre

Saldre

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

I don't want to sound like an ass, or complain, or anything- but… I don't see the problem with having a Knight, a Titan or even a Greater Daemon in a Dark Heresy Game. 

Investigation is only one aspect of the game- and there's room for pretty much a lot of other things in there. Not everything has to be "Stat Appropriate"- Knights exist in the DH Universe as much as they exist in the Only War Universe, Death Watch Universe or Rogue Trader Universe. Which, Incidentally, is all the same universe. The 40k Universe. It is not inconceivable that Acolytes will run into a Knight, as much as its possible for them to end up owning a Space-ship (which happens a lot more often than I would have thought, if the Gm Boards are any indication) or even something as simple as driving a car or a tank. 

With Grey Knights being introduced in Daemon-Hunter (serving as a bridge between Death Watch and Dark Heresy), it is not an unreasonable demand as to request some of the Mechanicus' bigger toys in a Mechanicus book.

Now, back to the Original Topic- I would love to hear more about Nomen Ryne, Amicus Tole and  every single other Hereteck mentioned in any of the previous books :P There's quite a few- I would say at least five. So a "Mechanicus Most Wanted" List would be epic- even if they didn't have stats [Though it would be very cool if they did, what with Fate-Points solving the whole "If it has stats we can kill it problem :P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS