Photo

Young Griff and the second shadows card.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fozza

fozza

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

I was wondering whether between bringing out the first and second shadows card that there is a chance for a response or player action.

Thanks

#2 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

No, there isn't time for anything, including cancels and passives, because bringing out the 2nd card is a "then" effect, so it is resolved in step 3 of the same action window.

I'll add a question: do cost modifiers like City of Shadows and Hidden Chambers apply to that 2nd card, or only to Young Griff himself?

#3 WWDrakey

WWDrakey

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

This was already discussed here.

So, those apply only to Young Griff. Then again, the second card doesn't get the penalty from City of Shadows (similar to Guardian Wolf or Meera). 

Also, remember that you need to stand at least one character, for the then portion to initiate, so the bringing of a second card out of shadows isn't nearly as automatic as it may appear.

#4 fozza

fozza

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Khudzlin said:

No, there isn't time for anything, including cancels and passives, because bringing out the 2nd card is a "then" effect, so it is resolved in step 3 of the same action window.

I'll add a question: do cost modifiers like City of Shadows and Hidden Chambers apply to that 2nd card, or only to Young Griff himself?

I had a feeling that was the case - I was kind of hoping I had missed something and it wasn't.  As for the other question I`m thinking that they are brought out via a card ability rather than the shadow mechanics so the modifiers don't apply.  However someone more knowledgeable than myself should chip in. 

#5 Amuk

Amuk

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:30 AM

WWDrakey said:

Also, remember that you need to stand at least one character, for the then portion to initiate, so the bringing of a second card out of shadows isn't nearly as automatic as it may appear.

Did I miss a discussion of/ruling on this? I ask because Young Griff's text says "stand  any number of characters you control" and 0 is a number.

Cordially,

Amuk

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel & a comedy for those who think." - Jean de la Bruyère

#6 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,718 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:27 AM

Amuk said:

Did I miss a discussion of/ruling on this? I ask because Young Griff's text says "stand  any number of characters you control" and 0 is a number.
But for a standing effect to be successful, something has to change status from kneeling to standing. So while 0 is "any number," it will not be considered a successful stand effect. And without a successful stand, the "then" part doesn't happen. 

Now, if Young Griff said "if able" after the "stand any number" bit, standing 0 characters would successfully resolve the first part of his ability.

#7 Amuk

Amuk

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:57 AM

ktom said:

Amuk said:

But for a standing effect to be successful, something has to change status from kneeling to standing. So while 0 is "any number," it will not be considered a successful stand effect. And without a successful stand, the "then" part doesn't happen. 

Now, if Young Griff said "if able" after the "stand any number" bit, standing 0 characters would successfully resolve the first part of his ability.

Aha. Thanks.

Cordially,

Amuk

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel & a comedy for those who think." - Jean de la Bruyère

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS