Photo

Questions about counter-attack and additional action penalty.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SSB_Shadow

SSB_Shadow

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

It says that additional actions in a turn after the first causes penalties to actions. First is normal, then it's -25, then -50, etc.

1. The example in the book says the hero uses move, attack (-25) and then a notice check (-50). But if the character would have attacked first, move secondly and attack  thirdly, would the third action give a -25 or -50 penalty?

2. Also, does the movement get any form of penalties or is it always free, no matter how many actions to spend on moving?

And now about counter-attacks…

3. If I spend an action to attack, wait, and the guard I am fighting comes to attack me on his turn, does my counter-attack recieve penalty of -25 for being my second action?

4. Also, if I counter-attack repeatedly (from different attackers or same guy with additional attacks) do I receieve penalty for defending myself?

#2 SSB_Shadow

SSB_Shadow

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Oh, also;

5: If I have 4 action / turn can I move three times and then attack with no penalty or with -75?  Is there no form of Charge action maneuver in the game?

#3 F3nr1s

F3nr1s

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

Before I answer your questions, here something you must always remember:

You can't make the same action more than one time. So: You can't attack, move and than attack.

1. If you have 3 actions, you could attack (no penatly, because it is your first action), move up to your full movement (-25 penalty, if you must make a test) and after this, make a notice check (-50 penalty)

2. You can only spend 1 action on movement. If you move first and than attack, the attack action have a -25 penalty, if you attack first and than move, a movement check (for example "athleticism" to run further or longer time) would get the -25 penalty

3. AFAIR is a counterattack a passive action, so you could make it, if you aren't put on defense. But: You have a pool of "additional attacks" (for every full 100 points in your attack ability, you have one additional attack), and I think, your counterattacks use the same pool. So there is something special: All your attacks are getting a -25 penalty for every additional attack you make.

For example: You make one attack action (you are not allowed to make more per turn), with two attack, both attack would get a -25 penalty, because you make one additional attack. If you had made a move action before, your attack action would get a additional -25 penalty, so all your attacks would get a -50 penalty (-25, because your attack actions is the second action and -25 because you make an additional attack).

4. You can counterattack as long, as your "attack pool" isn't emtpy, but usually you must say the numbers of attacks, which you will use this turn, before you roll initiative. My groups plays a little different: You must say the number of attacks the moment, you use your first attack.

For example: Hasib, a acrobatic warrior with an attack ability of 225 (which means, 3 attacks), can counterattack an enemy. He can decide, he will use only one attack (so, after this counterattack, he can't (counter-)attack in this round again, but he wouldn't have a penalty for additional attacks, or he could decide to use 2 attacks (one for the counterattack and one for later), so both attacks would get a -25 penalty, or he could use all 3 attacks, all with a -50 penalty. But: he can only counterattack with one attack (so if he would use 2 attacks, he couldn't make to attacks for one counterattack).

5. Like said in the beginning: you couldn't make the same actions more than one time per turn. So you can't move three times. But: If you would make 4 different actions (move (0 penalty), search (-25 penalty), use a active spell (-50 penalty) and than attack (-75 penalty). And: There is something like a charge maneuver, on page 84 of the core book (called "Charging").

So long,

#4 Rike Nore

Rike Nore

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

So here's my two cents.

I've seen a number of post saying that you can't Attack, Move, Attack. But I haven't seen anything in the books to prove this. In the core book it just says they all count as a single active action. And "The attacker using multiple attacks can use each "attack" for a distinct combat maneuver or to aim at different targets."  Your also allowed to save attacks for counters later on. So my group has agreed that it means you can split up your attacks so we allow for the Attack, Move, Attack but do apply additional penalties for the later attacks.

3.  Counter attacks do use pull from your "attack pool."  So if you say your only making one attack that round, and you counter attack before your turn, then you have to attacks left. Also I believe the only penalties to counterattacks are the multiple attack and all action penalties. Counter attacks do not recieve any action penalties. But certain martial arts do allow for free counterattacking.

4. The only penalty you apply to your defense is all action penalties I believe. Defense is a passive action remember so it active action penalties don't apply.

#5 F3nr1s

F3nr1s

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

Hi Rike Nore,

to your point, with "attack, move, attack": As long as someone can't  "refresh" their attack pool with the second attack action, I think this house rule is okay ;-)

to 3: Yeah, I see this similar, a counterattack is a passive action, so penalties for multiple actions wouldn't count, but you must have the ability to attack (so, if you are "put on defense", you can't counterattack).

to 4: The penalties for multiple actions doesn't count for defenses, but multiple defenses have their own penalties (-30 for second defense, -50 for third, -70 for fourth and -90 for fifth and more).

Surely, there are some penalties which can also count (counterattack someone who is flanking your or defense from flank attack, counterattacking/defending while blind etc.).

I only doesn't like the "The only penalty you apply to your defense is all action penalties I believe", because it isn't the only penalty.

So long,

#6 Rike Nore

Rike Nore

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

I forgot about the multiple defense penalties. Started playing 3 years ago when book was first translated, and been playing for a few months after a a year and half.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS