Battlefoam Trays Inquiry

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

So, I'm considering switching to Battlefoam for transporting my Dust models. I'm a big fan of their stuff for WM/Hordes, Flames of War, and MERCs. I went with portable warfare for my Dust stuff, but am outgrowing them. 

My question is this…

Does anyone have the pre made Battlefoam Dust trays?  If you do, could you please post pics of them with actual dust models in them?  Especially interested in the Heavy Walker trays, and how they fit. Thanks. 

#2 BDub

BDub

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

I talked with the Battlefoam guys at WGC last weekend. The only Dust foam they have is designed to fit the Revised Core Set in its entirety (both factions) and they got Romeo to consent to cutting a Heavy walker tray (also both factions) that tray however does not fit all the weapon loadouts.  It has slots for the chassis and on set of weapons for each walker.

They said Romeo was in a wait and see pattern, till there was more demand before they would commit to cutting up faction specific foam for all the models in the range.

Their recommendation to me was to measure my models and custom build with boilerplate rectangles and circles, or by pluck foam.

Hope that helps.

#3 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

BDub said:

Heavy walker tray (also both factions) that tray however does not fit all the weapon loadouts.  It has slots for the chassis and on set of weapons for each walker..

Hope that helps.

That part helps a lot, actually, because I was trying to figure out how the heavies fit in the tray with their weapons. The empty foam pics on BF's website made it seem it hey wouldn't. I was hoping I was missing an, "aha, so that's how they fit" view that I'd get with pics with models. 

#4 Maine

Maine

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

Frankly they don't need to do too much special I think, only the heavy walkers really need their own cut foam.  For Medium / Light walkers I'd probably go upright storage and multiple small bins for the options, in which case you only need the base cutout

#5 PliskinAJ

PliskinAJ

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

I have been using a shield bag. It comes with a standard troop tray, med troop tray then a large pluck and pull. So far its holding ~60 troopers and 4 med walkers. The US walkers are a bit tall so I put the turrets in the med troop tray and the bodies in the pluck and pull. With the extra pockets I can hold the rule book, tokens, dice, cards, tape measure and even some terrain.

#6 madmaxknick50

madmaxknick50

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

I have never used the battlefoam trays but I put my two axis heavy walkers in one 4" double tray and I got my allied heavy walkers and four medium walkers in two of them. good fit with the Sabol army transport trays.

#7 Azrell

Azrell

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

I used the battle foam shield bag i got at adepticon, works well. 

#8 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:20 AM

Still interested in pics if anybody has some. 

#9 PliskinAJ

PliskinAJ

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

I will take some pictures tomorrow.

#10 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

PliskinAJ said:

I will take some pictures tomorrow.

Thank you very much!

#11 PliskinAJ

PliskinAJ

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:55 AM

This morning I managed to get some pictures of the Shield bag.

This is the small troop tray. It holds 55 troopers.

The medium troop tray. You can see Action Jackson up in the top left so heavy troops will fit here fine.

This is the large pick and puck tray. I can fit 2 more med walkers in this one. 

In the front pouch I hold the dice, tokens and tape. There is a flap behind the pouch that I hold the rule book and the shortened rules that I let people read while I have been setting up demo games.

These are the thing I hold in my side pouches, unit cards, barricades and I normally stick my tablet in the side too but I'm using that to take the pictures.

Overall shot.

I have been using this bag since it has come out from battlefoam for warhammer and I recently converted it over to Dust. Its designed to fit the GW sized trays so if something happens and you loose or destory a tray you can easialy get a new one. I have used this and the PACK 1520 and PACK plus with no problems. The only thing is the sheild bag isn't a hard case like most if not all of the other Battlefoam bags but its the cheapest.

#12 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

Thanks Pliskin. That's a great looking setup you've got there.

However, I was hoping to see how the foam trays pre-cut specifically for Dust Tactics models actually fit if anyone has those. 

#13 KiltedWolf

KiltedWolf

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Here is my set up, showing the pre-cut DT trays with extra Grey Knight trays, and the heavy trays along with a custom tray I made for my extra walkers. I have since created another custom tray for walkers that holds nine.

This setup shows all the models from the original box, revised core, and extras. The bag is a 720.

Cheers!

#14 AshDOG

AshDOG

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Anyone know how tall is the tallest Allied mech? Trying to see how tall I should order the battlefoam.

#15 AshDOG

AshDOG

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

And how tall are those infantry trays?

#16 KiltedWolf

KiltedWolf

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

AshDOG said:

And how tall are those infantry trays?

The Grey Knight trays are 1.5 inches: 

(GK/INQ) Grey Knight Troop Foam Tray (BF-1.5)

The other trays are from the DT package trays:

Dust Tactics Kit for the P.A.C.K. 432 (BF)

Cheers!

#17 KiltedWolf

KiltedWolf

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:01 AM

AshDOG said:

Anyone know how tall is the tallest Allied mech? Trying to see how tall I should order the battlefoam.

As I recall they are around 3.5 inches. I made my custom tray four inches to be on the safe side. Here is the file I created, which you can send to Battle Foam.

Cheers!

#18 frogimus

frogimus

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

I noticed this week that BF has the Dust walkers on their custom tray creator.  They are missing the 2 light walkers from the RCS if I recall correctly

#19 reptilebro1

reptilebro1

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

Very nice! Looks like Battle Foam is going to be getting more of my money!

#20 agashmirv

agashmirv

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

I'm using 2" pluck foam for all my infantry and 4" for my walkers and it works great.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS