Photo

Talisman Island Contest - Strange Eons Dragon Deck Example!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

Hello there

If you cast your mind back a while, you might remember a small competition to come up with effects for three pieces of art kindly shared by Felicia Cano for the Talisman plug-in for Strange Eons.

For the next stage of the tool, I added Dragon content, but the Dragon decks were slightly different and ended up as a new template, rather than part of the standard Adventure-type cards.

So, I asked a certain Jeremy McHugh, who is the artist behind the original 14 adventurers from the Talisman core set, and he kindly agreed that I might use his personal piece - Dragon Feeder - for the project!!

You can see the rest of Jeremy's creations over on his portfolio site, his blog and DeviantArt page. It's always good to see his warm-up pieces!

Anyway, if you want to have a go at creating the effects of the card, and have your name put into the next version of the Talisman plug-in, just send me a message with your card details and effects and I will see about judging them over the next few weeks.

There may even be a prize of a set of Talisman bonus cards, Doppleganger and Instructor for the entry that is chosen!!

Please note that this will also be posted on Talisman Island, and likely over on BGG too, but you guys can have a little head start.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#2 Timerron

Timerron

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:47 AM

This is perfect timing. I'm actually working on a Toad King deck in the style of the dragon decks. This makes me wonder if you could build in an option for using different art for card backs, in case one is making a new deck set, and color options for the borders on the card front, as I was planing on other "End Game" NPC decks.

Cooper

#3 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Changing colours would be possible with a bit of work, and some fresh templates. I might see about making some "generic, non-official" templates that would be easier to work with, but it certainly won't be in the near future.

#4 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:35 AM

Just changed the scheme to orange (Shamouti) as it looks a bit nicer. Having an extra Grilipus card would also mean I needed to find an extra Varthrax and Cadorus example!!

PS - One entry already!

#5 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

I've had a few more entries and have just put the announcement on Talisman Island, so there should be a few more coming.

I have decided that the closing date will be at some point on the 26th July, so you have a little while left to come up with something!

#6 nyarmondt

nyarmondt

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

I suppose that the "Stranger" designation of this card is fixed?

#7 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

I can't see why it couldn't be an Event or Place instead, but Jon will give you the definitive answer!

Ell.

#8 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:44 AM

As it says on the card itself -

Feel free to change the card title and type if you wish.

#9 nyarmondt

nyarmondt

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

An other entry has been submitted. 

#10 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:57 AM

Two days to go… :)

#11 Fogity

Fogity

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

Just wanted to say that you should have received an entry from me. (Henrik R.)

#12 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

…and we have a winner!

I shall let people know about it when I hear back from them.

Now I'll have to get the update sorted… no rest for the wicked!

#13 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

After much deliberation and a great deal of time trying all of the entries out in Strange Eons, I have decided on a winner for the Dragon Deck Example Competition! 

The winning entry is from Bogusz Ostrowski, also known as "Nefarious" about the forums, with his simple take on the subject matter. His entry was set to use the larger image version of the template, but I jazzed the text up a little and think it looks great with the smaller version of the artwork.

Many thanks go to Jeremy McHugh, for allowing me to use his artwork in the Strange Eons extension, and if you are off to Gen Con in Indianapolis next week go and say hello to him (and buy things!)

I am updating the current extension with the new text for the card, and have added in Lycanthrope cards, "Ability" Overlays, new style Character tokens and made a couple of other tweaks. It should be available to download during the coming week. I'll make a small post on the front page when it is done.

#14 Fogity

Fogity

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

Really nice card and a worthy winner. I think it catches the essence of Talisman both in mechanisms and story.

#15 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

A really nice card overall, and offers something new within T's simple game mechanics.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS