Retention of Mission cards

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

In the absence of any update from Fantasy Flight, I set to thinking about how a Star Wars card game would go if I made it. I decided to start by deciding what the game's objective ought to be, from a top-down perspective - that is, an objective that reflects what the heroes of the saga are trying to achieve. Since I advocate the capacity of this game to expand into other eras, I tried to avoid being specific to Rebellion vs. Empire, and in doing so, I decided that completing Mission cards should remain the goal, regardless of whether the game is cooperative, competitive, or both (with the competitive approach simply resulting in both sides having their own Mission stack). The exact way in which they are completed and how this brings a player closer to victory is difficult to pin down precisely, but I think keeping Missions around would be the most flavorful method of reflecting the variety of things the characters of Star Wars are doing in the films, novels, and games.

#2 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

Something like the Star Trek CCG… minus the cluster of skills?

#3 Asmoridin

Asmoridin

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

qwertyuiop said:

Something like the Star Trek CCG… minus the cluster of skills?

First thing I thought of when reading this idea as well.  If the expanded universe is allowed (who knows?) it's possible we could see something more interesting than Rebel vs Empire, after all, depending on timelines.  That, to me, would be pretty fun.

#4 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

I suppose it really depends on how one defines "Expanded Universe." After all, the mission sequence used in last year's GenCon demo of the now-scrapped version of the game featured Rebels returning to Yavin IV to retrieve valuable data. This is something that never happened in the movies, but could reasonably have occurred between Episodes IV and V.

#5 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

I'm positive I've read a quote from one of the artists attached to the game, somewhere here perhaps, saying FFG have full use of the EU, so I've presumed we'll be seeing characters from Del Rey and Bantam books and Dark Horse comics, along with all the rest of it.

I don't know how the Star Trek CCG worked, so can't comment on that, but do you mean each faction (Rebel/Empire, or whatever) has their own Mission that they have to complete, so it's kinda like each player has to choose whether they want to complete their own mission or just sabotage the other player? That could work, yeah. Though I suppose it would only allow for PvP games. I'm still firmly convinced that cards could be produced that could be used by people or, if playing solo, they have a different iconography that allows the deck to run automated. But I guess that could be getting off-topic…

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#6 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

The way I see it, you'd have a stack of 6 or 7 Mission cards with varying objectives and victory points upon completion. A typical Dark Side stack might look thus:

1x Death Star Completion (unique)
3x Take a Prisoner
2x Dark Side's Seduction
1x Imperial Occupation

Perhaps each Mission would have an ongoing effect upon completion, and depending on the setup you'd either do them one at a time or have 2 or 3 working towards completion at once.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS