Instead of Timescape…

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ninepointone

ninepointone

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

Let´s make a Chaos-expansion with chaos-characters (chaos-knight, deamon, demonologist, etc) and maybe even a board for different chaos-worlds. Skip all the modern crap (Adventurerer, Astronaut, Cyborg(!) etc) and make Talisman plain fantasy.

And by the way… drop the oriental characters aswell (ninja, samurai, etc etc)

#2 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:23 AM

Chaos Realm with REAL chaos - Yes, please.

Chaos Characters that are chaotic only because of having a "chaos" word in their name - hell no!

All I want is chaotic mechanics, not just plain words.

Enter the Talisman Island!

#3 natstar

natstar

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:13 AM

Only if the board is hell theme with events to go with it but i would like to see a pirate/sea/water expansion as well. 

#4 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

I loved Timescape; my wife did not. I tend to go with the flow, so it seems *most* people would rather not have Timescape.

So, the idea of a Chaos realm or a Death/Necropolis realm also have great appeal for me.

Let me explore some of this a little.  Chaos, but more than just 'words', but actual mechanics. Not sure what that means, but let's consider:

With the current full range of expansions we have the general theme and goal - Crown of Command.  We have on the inner region a partial death realm, including a vampire and werewolves. Death is also present in the non Inner regions as well. Likewise the grand daddy of Werewolves, it would seem.

We have 3 Draconic Lords who wish to be Dragon King with all that brings. We have the possibility of various end scenarios with either strong level Bosses of various sorts, or 'routines' or scenarios that must be followed to win, either knowing from the beginning or "revealed" at the time of reaching the Crown.

There will be 4 regions around the main board, possibly each with its own end boss (not sure on the City, considering 2nd edition).

So, to sum up:  3 Dragon Lords.  1 Reaper actually on the board. Ditto Grandfather Werewolf. 3 or 4 end bosses (eventually) of the extra regions.

The only thing we don't have is Chaos… and its opposite Order.  But in a sense they exist already.  Order represents the order and routine/normal operation of the game itself. Dices are rolled, and moves are made or encounters are calculated.

I would like to suggest that our light and dark 'fate' tokens should be used or enhanced to create or use chaos mechanics. I think there is one alternate ending that proposes a use for the two sides. This should be expanded somehow, into a small set expansion that embraces dark and light fate, for fate, the ability to possibly escape consequences, as 'random' luck, can also be viewed as a mechanic of chaos. 

How can this be taken to another level?

-thank you for your time, Oberon

#5 Tertius

Tertius

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:53 AM

I am a huge Timescape fan, and would love to see it done right for this edition.  That said, a chaos expansion may be the best way to do it.  Great idea.

I've been thinking about what an updated Timescape would look like.  Given that, once all four corner boards exist, there will be little room on most people's tables for an extra board, I've been thinking about the Timescape (or realm of chaos) as a parallel world, accessed by cards on the existing boards, that would integrate into the adventure deck and decks for the other realms.

There would be cards that are portals or warp-rifts.  These would be like a gate from the 'real-world' board to the 'chaos realm / parallel dimension / timescape'.  Once a player steps through the portal, he plays on the same board, but draws from a "chaos" or "timescape" deck of adventure cards.  These have black borders, but function like normal adventure cards, themed to the chaos or timescape world. (Daemons, chaos knights, warpstone, etc.).  The black-border cards that go on the board spaces would not be encountered by characters in the 'real-world,' and the regular adventure cards on the board would not be encountered by characters that had gone through the portal to the chaos side.  The chaos deck would have many cards that allowed travel from one black card to another, furthering the chaotic nature of it all.

Perhaps there would be a structured network that could lead to a battle with a greater daemon, granting you great power if you won.

The deck could have a series of cards that formed the path to the greater daeomon.  It could only be encountered after all of the path had first come into play. (Maybe a certain number of special location cards.) 

Just some thoughts. There is a ton of real estate already available on the boards existing and planned.  A chaos/timescape that worked like this would effectively double it without requiring a second dining room table to play on.

Does this make sense?

#6 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:23 AM

Sounds a bit like an idea I've been mulling over. Basically it comprises one card… well, perhaps a little more, but you will see when I mock it up.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#7 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

Tertius: A fantastic idea!

Jon: A mock up please sir!

Ell.

#8 Tertius

Tertius

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

talismanisland said:

Sounds a bit like an idea I've been mulling over. Basically it comprises one card… well, perhaps a little more, but you will see when I mock it up.

I'd love to see this, and would be happy to help / provide feedback, etc.

I really think this parallel-chaos-world expansion would work well to satisfy those of us who want Timescape AND those who want to keep Talisman fantasy-oriented. I'd love to work on such an expansion.

#9 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

Well, my idea is rather simplistic, but I'll get something together soon. It won't be too flash, so don't get too excited! :)

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS