Swashbuckler

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lynch Pin

Lynch Pin

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

Okay in the Swashbuckler advance on page 44 of Hostile Acquisitions.

It says under special that Swashbucklers automatically receive the talent Enemy (Imperial Navy). What i would like to know is what happens if one of your PC's wants to take this advance but already has Good Reputation (Imperial Navy)??? and do they still get the bonus 200 exp for gaining an enemy.

Also i have noticed that a lot of people on these forums are able to put their questions directly to official writers and moderators of these forums.. How do i go about doing this??

I would like to be able to rub it in to my PC's because they are always using the excuse just because it is on the forums doesn't mean it is official…

Thanks heaps guys,

Lynch…

#2 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

Lynch Pin said:

Okay in the Swashbuckler advance on page 44 of Hostile Acquisitions.

It says under special that Swashbucklers automatically receive the talent Enemy (Imperial Navy). What i would like to know is what happens if one of your PC's wants to take this advance but already has Good Reputation (Imperial Navy)??? and do they still get the bonus 200 exp for gaining an enemy.

Also i have noticed that a lot of people on these forums are able to put their questions directly to official writers and moderators of these forums.. How do i go about doing this??

I would like to be able to rub it in to my PC's because they are always using the excuse just because it is on the forums doesn't mean it is official…

Thanks heaps guys,

Lynch…

To ask a FFG member, simply go down to the bottom of this page and click on "Rules Questions" and follow the instructions.

But from one GM to another and not speaking on behalf of FFG in any capacity, whatever you decide is what you decide.  There is hardly ever a clear crystal cut rule out there that you can follow to the letter.  Sometimes, you and your PC's are just going to have to figure something out and Houserule it.

MO though, if the character is engaging in pirate tactics (like raiding and capturing ships belonging to powerful adversaries) then yes, he/she would lose the Good Rep and gain the Enemy trait.  Several good deeds don't necessary wash away a bad one.  But ultimately it depends on exactly what actions the PC took in order for you to grant the Swashbuckler package to the PC.  If the PC was sneaky about it, then hey, maybe the Navy has no concrete evidence and so they get to keep their Good Rep.  The true final decision rests in your hands though Lynch Pin.

P.S.  Picking any of the Alternate Career ranks in any of the books, does not net the PC any bonus exp for trait's, talents, or skills gained.  The reward (and punishment) for picking the alternate career rank is where the PC's gain access to the advance chart for that alternate career.

Hope this helps some.  Best of luck to you and your crew. 

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#3 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:13 AM

Lynch Pin said:

[…] and do they still get the bonus 200 exp for gaining an enemy. […]

Wait, what? I've never heard of this before. I did a quick search for "Enemy" in the rulebook and I couldn't find anything about it. Why would you get bonus experience for gaining talents as appropriate to roleplaying? O_o

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#4 Mordechai Von Razgriz

Mordechai Von Razgriz

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

I do think it's an extrapolation from Ascension, where you can "buy" Ennemy talents with a negative xp cost, thus earning xp.

Cum historia mutat valde, Razgriz revelat ipsum; Primum Monstrum scelestus est.
Cum potentia sua Monstrum fondet mortem in terram, Deinde moritur.
Cum somnus finit, Razgriz surget iterum, Magnus heros est.

Game Master of http://excathedra.forum-gratuit.net/, Rogue Trader PbP campaign.

#5 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

Mordechai Von Razgriz said:

I do think it's an extrapolation from Ascension, where you can "buy" Ennemy talents with a negative xp cost, thus earning xp.

Ahh, that's what he meant.  Don't have that book with me at the moment, so I had no idea what he was referring to DH rules.  My apologies Lynch Pin.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#6 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

I don't see why you can't have both. +20 from Good Reputation, -10 from Enemy, +10 total. "Yes, he's done some bad things, but I know he's a great guy so I'm sure he had good reasons. I don't trust him as much as I used to though."

Or, part of the navy might consider the PC a hero (full +20), while others think he's a dangerous criminal (-10).

#7 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

Iku Rex said:

I don't see why you can't have both. +20 from Good Reputation, -10 from Enemy, +10 total. "Yes, he's done some bad things, but I know he's a great guy so I'm sure he had good reasons. I don't trust him as much as I used to though."

Or, part of the navy might consider the PC a hero (full +20), while others think he's a dangerous criminal (-10).

I like you style. 

Though on Pg 99 RT, Good Reputation only gives +10 bonus to fellowship with a certain group.  When combined with Peer, this can be increased to +20 if of the same group.  So….. if you only have Good Reputation and Enemy, of the same group, you total at the end is +0.  And I guess you can sill leave it combined if you want.  Some people might of only heard of his good exploits (+10), others only his bad (-10), and some both (+0).  Good idea by the way. 

#8 Larkin

Larkin

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

Nameless2all said:

Iku Rex said:

I like you style. 

Though on Pg 99 RT, Good Reputation only gives +10 bonus to fellowship with a certain group.  When combined with Peer, this can be increased to +20 if of the same group.  So….. if you only have Good Reputation and Enemy, of the same group, you total at the end is +0.  And I guess you can sill leave it combined if you want.  Some people might of only heard of his good exploits (+10), others only his bad (-10), and some both (+0).  Good idea by the way. 

Except that Good Rep requires Peer with the group you're getting it with.

#9 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

And so it does…..    Guess I really should pay more attention to the Prerequisites.  Gettin sloppy in my young age.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS