Dust Miniatures Are NOT 1/48 Scale!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

Let's get something straight: Dust miniatures are NOT 1/48 scale! The measure of model scale is based on the size of the models relative to actual size, of course. With human figures, this is measured on a 6'/1.83m standard, meaning that the average human model is assumed to be a scaled 6'/1.83m tall. With this in mind, 1.83m divided by 28mm (the stated height of an average Dust miniature trooper) comes to 1/65th scale. If they were truly 1/48 scale, they'd be 38mm tall.

As a modeler of long standing, this is sort of meaningful. So please, everyone stop claiming that Dust minis are 1/48 scale…

#2 Noir420

Noir420

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

So when I go to the Dust Model site I should look for 1/65th scale?

#3 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

Your dust mini's must have shrunk in the heat then as my SSU I have on the table are 35mm ish tall, close enough.  They are certainly taller than any of my 28mm 1/56 scale miniatures I have :?

#4 Harliquine

Harliquine

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

This is what the 1/48 refers to is the Dust 1:48 Model Collection. The Dust 1/35 Collection is the wrong scale and certain other manufacturers have been named in other threads that are close enoughg to the Dust scale to use.

#5 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

Also 6' tall might be ok for today but in the '40's it was 5' 8" -ish.

#6 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

Scale arguments always get hilarious, because they vary so wildly amongst manufacturers, and true 28mm hasn't been seen in a long time. It's my understanding 28mm used to refer to the height of a baseless mini to it's eyes, assuming a 5'10" human. Now, add forehead and base and you're already over 30mm. Now mat 28mm scales are referred to as Heroic 28mm as they are closer to 35mm. Now through in 1/xx scale and it really gets silly. 

I think the best test one could do for this thread's argument is find an old 1/48 scale kit with standing straight soldier and/or one with an M-2 .50 cal HMG. Then compare the Ma-Deuce with one on an Allied Walker, or stand the straight up dude on a base next to Rosie, Angela, or some other standing straight DW mini. 

I'd just offer to do it myself, but I haven't had a 1/48 scale kit in my house since Junior High circa 1978-1980. 

#7 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

Scale also changes depending on if you measure from bottom of the feet to top of the head, or bottom of the feet to the eyes, both standards are used by different companies.  On top of that depending on who the sculptor is will also change the scale of the mini.

Then again people do come in more than one height.

As an example of how far off one particular miniature company is from their purported "28mm" scale.

they do claim "Heroic 28mm" which means, "eh…well just make it up".  

#8 DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

Actually it would be more true to say that Dust miniatures arent 28mm (which on the plus side 28mm minis nowadys arent 28mm either). 1/48 is generally considered to be 36mm to 38mm (because most of the model companies get it wrong often too). True 28mm is some of the early Citadel and later Ral Partha minis or other companies of the time…but even they varied wildly due to manufacturer, sculpters, etc.

#9 madmaxknick50

madmaxknick50

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Does it REALLY matter what "scale" the Dust Tactics models are? They seem to work just fine for me as they are just the right size. Not too small (15mm as in FOW) or the 54mm that some companies make, so not too large either. They look good painted and fit well on a 4x6 game board.

#10 Kommissar Zeitsev

Kommissar Zeitsev

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

For people who make terrain or kit-bash/convert their models using 3rd party components it very much matters…

#11 Maine

Maine

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

They are most definitely 1/48 scale.  See this post for an example:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=253&efcid=6&efidt=656854

Side by side with Tamiya 1/48 scale figures, the Dust Miniatures do not look out of place.

#12 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

ItsUncertainWho said:

Scale also changes depending on if you measure from bottom of the feet to top of the head, or bottom of the feet to the eyes, both standards are used by different companies.  On top of that depending on who the sculptor is will also change the scale of the mini.

As an example of how far off one particular miniature company is from their purported "28mm" scale.

We only assume that the Guardsman is out of proportion, as we have no idea what proportions space faring humans of the 41st millenium will actually have! LOL.

#13 Doraiya

Doraiya

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

Go to Paolo Parente's website and you will see that the models were always intended to be compatible with 1:48 scale model kits.

dust-models.com/

#14 AELFWINE

AELFWINE

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

Peacekeeper_b said:

ItsUncertainWho said:

We only assume that the Guardsman is out of proportion, as we have no idea what proportions space faring humans of the 41st millenium will actually have! LOL.

Wow. 4th ID Soldiers are a bit small. :)

#15 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, measured them. They're 35mm, not the touted and adverted 28mm. That would make them about 1/56 scale. I still have some 1/48 scale left from my youth (about 5-10 years before Shadowace's) and Dust minis look like midgets next to them.

#16 Gimp

Gimp

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

35mm would be 168cm (5'6"), which would still fit the time frame, where the average person wasn't 6' tall.

It can be harder to chack models due to posing and equipment, but all of the models I've checked fit within an appropriate range for the acknowledged 1:48 scale.  If a model is 34mm tall, but is crouched down, the actual figure would be representing someone taller crouching down.  Crouching down 50.8mm (2")  lower than full height shifts the height of a miniature in scale by just over 1mm, and most people crouching down, and with a wider stance with their legs, will be far more than 1mm shorter and still be in scale.

The only place I've ever seen people mention 28mm is on the forum, and not in anything official.  28mm isn't a scale, and there are too many ways 28mm is used for reporting model height to call it any single scale. 

If you take a range from 160cm (5'3" the average height of a Japanese soldier in WW2) up to 198.1cm (6'6" for a tall, but far from the tallest soldiers around then); you get a model range from 33-41.3mm to fit that range.  All of my models are within that range.

DUST models aren't great for scale when you look at the different sizes of what are supposed to be the same weapon on vehicles, but the infantry are all fine when considered as 1:48 and actually measured and compared to real sizes.

#17 Azrell

Azrell

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

BTW, GW uses 28mm "heroic" scale. That mean big hands and heads. Im guessing it had allot to do with the detail level of models back in the day. 

#18 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

[ADMIN: Edited for content.]

I'm going off the model scale rules that a soldier is 6' tall. This has been in existence for a lot longer than modern minis games; it comes from model railroads. So, since that is the classic scale, I am going with the 6' tall standard human model.

#19 rwwingate

rwwingate

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Warboss Krag said:

Okay, you idiots. Stop trying to rhetoric of redefining the terms of the argument; I haven't time for Republican politics. I'm going off the model scale rules that a soldier is 6' tall. This has been in existence for a lot longer than modern minis games; it comes from model railroads. So, since that is the classic scale, I am going with the 6' tall standard human model.

seriously?  The vehicles are completly fictional so who are you to say they aren't 1/48.  On the figures, the average height of an american male even today is not 6' and certainly wasn't in the 1940s:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height

The general concensus is that these are close enough to 1/48 for everyone else.  If that bothers you you can take a sharpy to all your boxes, cross out the 1/48 and label them 1/56 if that makes you feel better.

#20 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

Well, I just measured one of the mini's from the revised core set. I used the Hell Boys squad leader, he is about as upright as any of them get. If he was standing at attention, from the bottom of his feet to his eye line is just shy of 1.5 inches.

1.5 inches when scaled up from 1/48 = 72 inches or 6 feet.

I would put him at roughly between 5' 6" -5' 10" which is right on for the time period and 1/48 scale.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS