Putting Black Dog into play from your hand

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lemminkäinen

Lemminkäinen

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

Do you need a Black Dog in play in order to use its response (so you'd need one in play and a second one in hand) or can you use the response straight from your hand? If the latter, what character abilities can you use straight from your hand?

#2 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

Lemminkäinen said:

Do you need a Black Dog in play in order to use its response (so you'd need one in play and a second one in hand) or can you use the response straight from your hand? If the latter, what character abilities can you use straight from your hand?

You can play it from your hand, since the card text says you 'put it into play', thus allowing you to bypass any of the normal restrictions. Aside from event cards you can play cards from your hand that say so, e.g. 'Parallel Universe'.

#3 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

yes, it's a sneaky little bypass rule to the normal restrictions on characters and supports usually only playable in the operations phase. day dreamer is another good example. it can be played permanently during the operations phase, or in any phase using its ability, then returning to your hand at the end of whichever phase it was used.

#4 .Zephyr.

.Zephyr.

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

"put Black Dog into play from your hand " as card name in description is self referential (FAQ) this text doesnt even allow other dog to affect a card in hand. The only cards that can be used like this are the ones that say so ("from hand").

A good example is master of myths that is crazy powerful IMO - willpower, toughness that heals, 3 A, 3 skill and he can be added to any deck… maybe cost to play him should be 2 or restriction or sth, i really wouldn't want power creep to spoil this game. I recently got into it, bought a big pile of cards and like the game… or maybe there is sth i miss abut this guys strength…

#5 plasticXO

plasticXO

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

Does the Black Dog exhaust to be commited to a story when played from your hand ?

#6 badash56

badash56

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:25 AM

plasticXO said:

Does the Black Dog exhaust to be commited to a story when played from your hand ?

No, it does not exhaust to commit.  This is from the FAQ:

"Cats of Ulthar, and any card that comes
into play committed, or otherwise
commits to a story outside of the
commit characters window of the
Story Phase does so without having to
exhaust unless another effect forces it
to do so.."

#7 plasticXO

plasticXO

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:16 AM

OK, thanks.

I have another question : If my opponent commits 2 characters to a story and I uncommit one with the Cavern of the Flame. Can I put the Dogs afterward ?

#8 Penfold

Penfold

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:33 AM

No. It is the act of committing exactly one character that serves as the play requirement for Black Dogs…that said, each use of a Black Dog opens up an opportunity for the other player to trigger his or her own Black Dog.

#9 .Zephyr.

.Zephyr.

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:30 AM

Slight correction: black dog enters play commited, you cant respond to black dog with black dog. Also he's really nice with Negotium Perambulans in Tenebris :>

But the idea I agree with: black dog is interested in the act of commiting characters, not how many are commited at any point in time.

If some characters were already commited (becouse of Voice of the Jungle for example) Black dog is interested in how many "new" characres are commited, not how many ware there already, or the total number of characters.

#10 Penfold

Penfold

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

Thanks for that. I didn't look BD up before commenting and I should have.

#11 plasticXO

plasticXO

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

By reading the wording again, all of this makes sense. Thanks for the clarifications.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS