I made house rules for converting a Deathwatch rpg kill team into Warhammer 40k but unfortunately this forum won't allow me to paste my word document stating the rules
Deathwatch conversion to 40k
Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:19 AM
I just got the Deathwatch core rulebook and was pondering a way to convert the characters to a playable form for 40k games. It would work much better for Kill Team games and wouldn’t be legal in any sense but here goes.
1. First take the WS and round up to the nearest 10’s (ie 33 becomes 30, 45 becomes 5 etc.) then cut the zero (ie 45 becomes 40 becomes 4.
2. Then for BS, S, and T round down to the nearest 10 and drop the zero.
3. For wounds do the same as 2
4. For I do step 2 with Perception
5. For A take Agility and round down to the nearest 10’s then anything 30=1, 40=2, 50=3
6. For Leadership take Intelligence and Fellowship, round up to the nearest 10, drop the 0, add them together. If the score is a 6 add 1, if the score is a 12 subtract 1
7. For Savings take the willpower score, round down to the nearest 10, 50=2, 40=3, 30=4
For a Space Marine the typical scores will be
WS 4-6 BS 4-5 S 4 T 4 W 1-3 I 4-5 A 1-3 Ld 8-10 Sv 2-3+
Using my system a DW character would be
WS 4-6 BS 3-5 S 3-5 T 3-5 W 1-2 I 3-5 A 1-3 Ld 7-11 Sv 2-4+
So it seems comparable
As for points
Start with 15 points for a DW marine
If the character is a veteran add 10
If the character is an Apothecary add 5
If the character is a Chaplain, Librarian, or Tech add 75
For Terminator Armor add 15
For Artificer Armor add 10
Flamer or melta 5
Plasma or combi weapon 10
Heavy Bolter, Missile launcher, or Multi Melta 15 (if Devastator then no additional cost for HB)
Plasma Cannon 25
Las Cannon 30
Stalker Bolter w ammo 5
Chainsword 5 (unless assault then no cost)
Power Weapon or Lightening Claw 15
Power Fist 25
Thunder Hammer 30
Storm Shield 15
Melta Bombs 5
Heavy Flamer 5
Chain Fist 5
Heavy Weapon 30
So in this Brother Skold would be
WS 4 BS 4 S 4 T 4 W 2 I 5 A 1 Ld 9 Sv 4+
and would cost 25points
Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:20 AM
Perhaps change it to any score above 40 = 2+ and below is 3+
Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:32 PM
Initiative would be better driven off of Agility (as it is in DeathWatch). Attacks should really be from talents, so 2 attacks for swift attack and 3 for lightning attack.
I would be careful with the S and T stuff, as really having 40, 50 or 60 in any of those stats is still just S and T 3 in 40k. It's the unnatural toughness and strength that makes then S and T 4, and really no marines (unless something extremely rare has happened, like Mephiston) have stats different than that.
Leadership in 40k is never more than 10, so I'd just tweak you top end in that too.
Armour should really just be based on what gear they've got, but high willpower could be used to give them a better 'Deny the witch roll'. Maybe 5+ is WP > 50.
Sounds like an interesting idea. Is it going to be a one off 40k game or are you going to have the events feedback into the Deathwatch game?