Jump to content



Photo

Most Cost-Efficient Cards?


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Runix

Runix

    Member

  • Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:59 AM

What are the most cost-efficient cards in the game?

I realize this is somewhat subjective, as cost does not take into account faction - some factions have the ability to accelerate power by adding resources or refreshing domains, so  their cards arguably "cost" a bit less; likewise with supports that can often be played as a card effect.  But I still think it's an interesting question.

My vote:  Y'Golonac.  It has Invulnerability, two Terror (and so is immune to insanity) and a Combat and an Arcane, skill 4, and can either pull either a friendly character onto its story to help out, or an enemy character to its doom.  It's amazingly versatile, one of the best Ancient Ones in the game.  Its only weakness is that it is unique, but that's hardly a weakness given its strengths.  Is there ever any reason not to run Y'Golonac in a Shub deck?  And what was the design team thinking giving it a cost of only 4?

I can think of a few other cards that may be contenders for the most cost-efficient, but I'm interested in other thoughts.



#2 Hellfury

Hellfury

    Member

  • Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

I agree it is hard to judge anyone card as the most efficient without taking factions into consideration.

But if I were to vote on the most efficient, I would say Magah Birds. Fast, three for the price of one.

In the realm of non-banned cards, I would vote… hmm… well it is hard to deny Y'Golonac's efficiency. But I think Descendant of Eibon wins for its durability, transient resourcing,  and ease of getting into play then winning an investigation struggle in the mix.



#3 AUCodeMonkey

AUCodeMonkey

    Member

  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

Though it's situational, I'd most definitely say Thunder in the East. Destroy a Support card and draw a card? I'll take 3 please. I'll cast a 2nd place vote for Feed Her Young. I like going second and playing that during an opponent's turn for instant resource advantage.



#4 Surreal

Surreal

    Member

  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

AUCodeMonkey said:

Though it's situational, I'd most definitely say Thunder in the East. Destroy a Support card and draw a card? I'll take 3 please. I'll cast a 2nd place vote for Feed Her Young. I like going second and playing that during an opponent's turn for instant resource advantage.

I am quite sure that you need something other to drain your domain so you can play Feed Her Young during first opponent's turn.



#5 AUCodeMonkey

AUCodeMonkey

    Member

  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

According to the timing structure in the latest FAQ (under "The Action Window in Detail") step 1e is "Pay the cost." I would drain a domain with at least 1 Shub resource attached, with 3 total Shub resources on the board (3 Steadfast icons)… Then step 1f is "Play the card." So yes, you can use Feed Her Young to do exactly that, unless there's something that I'm missing. Once you pay the cost the domain is drained, and then you play the card.



#6 Surreal

Surreal

    Member

  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

AUCodeMonkey said:

 

According to the timing structure in the latest FAQ (under "The Action Window in Detail") step 1e is "Pay the cost." I would drain a domain with at least 1 Shub resource attached, with 3 total Shub resources on the board (3 Steadfast icons)… Then step 1f is "Play the card." So yes, you can use Feed Her Young to do exactly that, unless there's something that I'm missing. Once you pay the cost the domain is drained, and then you play the card.

 

 

Yes but you are missing one part.

Action window from FAQ:

a) Determine the cost (to either play the
card or pay for the card’s effect) or costs
(if multiple costs are necessary for the
intended action).
b) Check play restrictions, including
verification and designation of applicable
targets or cards to be effected.

No drained domains in this part so there are not any legal targets for the card so you can't play it.

c) Apply any penalties to the cost(s).
(Any effects that modify a penalty are
applied to that penalty before it becomes
a part of the cost.)
d) Apply any other active modifiers
(including reducers) to the cost(s).
e) Pay the cost(s).

Domain is drained now

f) Play the card, or trigger the effect, and
proceed to step two.

Part 1b checks the targets and I am quite sure you can't play a card when you don't have any legal targets. I am not completely sure if Feed Her Young even targets anything.



#7 AUCodeMonkey

AUCodeMonkey

    Member

  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

 You do have a point. Hrm, I seem to have missed that in my quest to be right.

It's not worded as though Feed Her Young has a target, as you pointed out. Seems like a gray area…



#8 COCLCG

COCLCG

    Member

  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

a good standpoint (i'm loathe to use the word 'argument') on both sides. intuition tells me that feed her young doesn't target anything and probably could be played in the first turn. the text deals with the playing of the card (or part 1f) and by this time the domain is drained. but i'm obviously not as familiar with the rules or FAQ as some. 

as for cost efficiency, off the top of my head i'd throw in ghoulish predator and if including special abilities then master of myths, hungry dark young and dreamlands fanatic. not the best, but up there.

my pick for the top 5 though would be (even though i'm not a syndicate nut), Tyler Scindere. i love this guy. cost 4 granted, but what you get is skill 5, willpower, toughness +1, 2 combat / 1 arcane / 1 investigation icons, and is a criminal so can be cost reduced.



#9 Danigral

Danigral

    Member

  • Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:52 AM

COCLCG said:

 

a good standpoint (i'm loathe to use the word 'argument') on both sides. intuition tells me that feed her young doesn't target anything and probably could be played in the first turn. the text deals with the playing of the card (or part 1f) and by this time the domain is drained. but i'm obviously not as familiar with the rules or FAQ as some. 

as for cost efficiency, off the top of my head i'd throw in ghoulish predator and if including special abilities then master of myths, hungry dark young and dreamlands fanatic. not the best, but up there.

my pick for the top 5 though would be (even though i'm not a syndicate nut), Tyler Scindere. i love this guy. cost 4 granted, but what you get is skill 5, willpower, toughness +1, 2 combat / 1 arcane / 1 investigation icons, and is a criminal so can be cost reduced.

 

 

As for unique characters - David Pan, essentially a 3-cost 4-skill character with 4 of each icon. The skill reduction in Syndicate makes him superb for the cost.

For non-uniques - Fixer is very cost efficient, especially with all the attachments coming out now. Also, Feathered Serpent - flexible, a lot of icons for no cost, and can be buffed and reduced cheaply. Bird Demon is another straight-up efficient character.

Unfortunately, all these characters suffer in efficiency in that they have to actually make it to the story. So any card with an effect that can take out a character any phase goes up in efficiency relatively. Khopesh of course…



#10 COCLCG

COCLCG

    Member

  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

AGoT DC Meta said:

 

As for unique characters - David Pan, essentially a 3-cost 4-skill character with 4 of each icon. The skill reduction in Syndicate makes him superb for the cost.

 

 

unfortunately he also turns a 1 cost cannibal ghast into a character with 4 of each icon.

but i agree that in today's game, the most cost efficient would probably be the destruction / wounding cards.

stygian eye is also a great card for only 2 cost.



#11 AUCodeMonkey

AUCodeMonkey

    Member

  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:15 AM

 Surreal, you were right. I emailed Damon and he confirmed what you said. Oh well, I still like Feed Her Young!






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS