Necron background and the Mechanicus

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lokan

Lokan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

What exactly is the Necron's goal in 40k?  Since they scattered the C'Tan, there doesn't seem to be any motivation for them.  Am I missing something?  Also, what does the Adeptus Mechanicus feel towards them?  Would any turn heretical in harnessing Necron technology?

#2 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

Haven't seen the new Necron codex, nor is my knowledge of the fluf for them particularly strong, but I've been generally under the impression that the Necrons have a generic contempt for all forms of life. As far as long term goals… No idea. Purge the galaxy?

As far as the Ad Mech and the Necrons, well, I don't wanna get into the whole Void Dragon is Mars thing. Yes, historically there have been some strange ties between them though.

As far as tech heresy goes… You're going to have to qualify "harnessing." I think there are non heretical examples of the Ad Mech studying xenos tech, given the proper procedures and mentality. The intent is to study them to figure out better ways to destroy them using properly sanctified machine spirits. If the intent is to use corrupt (Necron) machine spirits to fight the enemy, that will turn some heads.

#3 Lokan

Lokan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

I was thinking of a Mechanicus able to use Necron Artifacts towards harnessing a massive sleeping army to do their bidding.  I am not sure how this would be done.  Any ideas?

#4 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

Well, I would say that through some sheer force of luck (possible lead, worth investigating), the Tech priest in question managed to find a deactivated necron crypt world on some planet. The crypt could/would contain the as mentioned army, and yes, the Tech priest could begin investigating this. It is most certainly tech heresy, or at least skirts it. He could possibly get away with it either by stating he is using the crypt for less heretical research (documenting, studying, dismantling), or he could engineer a facade operation on the surface, and receive his support through that. Or he just dropped off the grid and went into hiding. Any of these certainly are worth Deathwatch involvement.

Honestly, the "how" is one of the easier parts here. You don't have to explain the particulars of why this device is able to control Necrons. Maybe they're letting him "control" them in some greater ploy to turn mankind against each other. Maybe it just overrides whatever signals they have/however it is they communicate. Perhaps it makes the Tech Priest come across as a Necron Lord.

#5 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Their goal is to reclaim their Empire - namely, reconquering the universe and awakening all the tombs.

Is their technology made by Man? No? Then it's xenostech. That's per se heresy, though I think the AdMech get some wiggle room in order to experiment on things to determine what they do and how best to counter them.

#6 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

Lokan said:

What exactly is the Necron's goal in 40k?  Since they scattered the C'Tan, there doesn't seem to be any motivation for them.  Am I missing something?  Also, what does the Adeptus Mechanicus feel towards them?  Would any turn heretical in harnessing Necron technology?

Lokan said:

What exactly is the Necron's goal in 40k?  Since they scattered the C'Tan, there doesn't seem to be any motivation for them.  Am I missing something?

What you're missing is that now Necron Lords, Crypteks and Phaerons are fully sapient and have individual motivations. Necrons no longer have overarching goals as a race, but each Dynasty/Tomb World will have it's own goals. Some of the most pronounced are:

-To rebuild the great Necrontyr Empire.

-To figure out a way to transfer back into organic bodies so they can experience the joys of life again.

-(Related to the above) to annihilate the threat of Tyranids, because if they win, there's no chance of finding suitable organic bodies.

-To simultaneously outdick Tzeentch, Cegorach, Eldrad, Sindri, Asdrubael Vect and Ursakar Creed, claiming the mantle of the greatest troll in the galaxy. All that while out-stealing the Blood Magpies.

Okay, the last one is limited to one Phaeron, one Trazyn the Infinite, but it's pretty pronounced throughout the Codex. Probably to drive home the point that new Necrons are a really diverse bunch.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#7 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

The mechanicus is not against researching and understanding xenos tech. Although outright usage outside of the proscribed testing rituals and safety margins would be tech heresy. Any xenos tech 'can' eventually be of use and used by the Imperium, but only after centuries or millenia of tests, rights of sanctioning, and development to ensure the technology wouldn't corrupt mankind (and likely could be manufactured by man without xenos or warp witchery). In reality most xenos tech in 40k is probably sanctionable, but with all there is, the time it takes to sanction, and the limited number of magos to do the sanctioning it will likely be WH888K before a significant portion of xenos tech reaches that level.

Side Notes:

Necrons do the whole phase out thing, yes, but its not always 100%. Something here or there could get bonked hard enough or ripped out and doesn't phase back, though I don't think this would apply to actual whole necron bodies, maybe just bits and pieces of them. You also have stasis and jammers and other rare tech the admech could use to keep them from phasing out.

The Admech understands a lot about xenos tech. They understand fully the effects of a gauss flayer, they just have no idea how the necrons can generate enough power to fire it since it would take the power output of a large starship or hive city to get it to work (they've gotten a few flayers to study, but never one still attached to an actual necron and have used detailed vid and first hand records to analyse). They also easily understand Tau railgun tech (railguns are even used in the imperium - ship cannons and planetary defense guns for instance), the issue the admech has is with the power generation and wear and tear on the weapon itself. Creating something to power a railgun of equivalent size would be a waste of rare tech and resources and the weapon tears itself apart much too quickly to be practical in Imperial armies.

#8 Gaius

Gaius

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:32 AM

From what I understand of the new background games workshop has come up with for everyones favourite clankers the Necron Lords now lead their brothers towards their own goals… for which some of them are quite mad and deluded so much so that some think they are the C'tan Gods. Under this new approach it is entirely possible in my opinion that the Tech Priest might wake them up and find a slightly deluded albeit friendly (to him at least) Necron Lord who might seek to reward him for stiring them from their long slumber. He might ally himself with the Tech Priest… hell if you want to make things very funky the Necron Lord could be relatively peaceful but the Tech Priest keeps telling him about all these threats that will surely never let his people rebuild (ie the tech priests enemies and rivals). Or you could have the Necron Lord be quite unhappy with the intruder and torture him for information, attacking every location he speaks of with fondness, deranged fun with the petty Necron Lord.

I find the new background a little underwhelming though it does have some advantages from a GMing point of view. As a friend of mine put it "They just seem like Egyptian Eldar." I don't entirely agree with the statement but they've lost some of their appeal for me.

With regard to the Adeptus Mechanicus and xenos tech I just went off and dug up an article games workshop did detailing the mechanicus for the Inquisitor game years ago which explains how the Mechanicus (in broadly two factions) view the subject under the Eight Law of Universal Knowledge. The eight law states that "The Omnisiah knows all, comprehends all: The Omnissiah is the supreme being, the entity able to comprehend all knowledge in the universe. (Fun little side note this is one of the reasons much of the mechanicus doesn't bother to develop new stuff… the omnisiah exists and knows everything… stop waisting time trying to design something new as it's already made.)  They then go on to state that there are pro xenos and anti xenos factions in the mechanicus that on some forge worlds have open theological debate on the matter… while in other areas it's kind of a civil war situation. What they do agree on is as it is part of the eight law "The Alien Mechanism is a perversion of the true path: Alien science is twisted and perverse, a corruption of the pure thought of the Machine God…" It makes reference that there are similarities from a theological view point between xenos tech and daemonic binding as far as they are concerned… reckless and dangerous! The pro xenos tech factions believe that though it is corrupted it is Knowledge and therefore part of the quest for knowledge and therefore comprehension of it is of importance. The anti xenos tech factions basically say, no how could aliens know things human's don't that isn't horribly corrupted, that stuff is just lures away from the true path to knowledge.

#9 Pyrus

Pyrus

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

Let's not forget the C'tan Phase Weapons

#10 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

I prefer the new Necron fluff to the old. Old fluff = tyranids, but undead zombie robots instead of bugs. No individuality. Nothing beyond "reap." It was their gods who had the personalities, and yet their gods could be fielded on the table and killed. Boring.

Whereas now you have a galactic empire that was held together only by uniting the various Dynasties against the Old Ones, the dumb decision to trust the Deceiver, the Necrons striking down the C'Tan and then going into stasis, awakening to a broken galaxy and completely non-unified, as each Dynasty struggles to gain power and once again control the Milky Way.

Yeah, I like the new fluff. And as for Egyptian Eldar…not really. The Eldar aren't really trying to rebuild their intergalactic empire. The Eldar aren't trying to transfer their souls back into living bodies. The only real commonality is that they once both ruled the galaxy and fell from grace. Sort of like the future of Man.

And as for the FFG setting, the AdMech have no idea about Necron stuff. We're pre-canonical First Contact. Which makes things very interesting.

#11 professor_kylan

professor_kylan

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

I think there are some great things with both sides of the fluff, so I tend to use a mix of the two. The older fluff - ancient legions of death, marching in unbroken ranks for as far as the eye can see, more and more of the undying automata stepping from their eldrict and unfathomable devices as death itself enters the world - is great as a bad guy for somehting like Deathwatch. The newer fluff - the scions of an ancient empire are rising from their eternal and deathless sleep, their leaders near paralysed with madness that infects their entire dynasty. Broken and insane, the ancient Necrontyr rise to a universe engulfed in chaos and seek to impose theeir old order upon the galaxy once again, destroying any mortal or god that stands before them - is fantastic for a Dark Heresy game where the motivations of things are more interesting.

#12 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

Well, the motivation of any given Necron Warrior or Immortal are unchanging, regardless of the edition fluff. All that really changes are their heroes and leaders.

And I can see how that's good for Deathwatch, I just find it boring. Nids are fun to kill, fun to see how other species interact with, but there's little to do with them, interaction-wise, aside from spattering them across the wall. I would prefer necrons not be a carbon copy of that interaction model.

#13 professor_kylan

professor_kylan

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

I find with deathwatch that the Awakenings storyline is far more entertaining. Fighting through a waking Tomb World, dealing with its fell guardians, and trying to sabotage whatever within might pass as a critical system, all before attempting to teleport out as the entire structure collapses around them. Brilliant mission!

#14 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

professor_kylan said:

I find with deathwatch that the Awakenings storyline is far more entertaining. Fighting through a waking Tomb World, dealing with its fell guardians, and trying to sabotage whatever within might pass as a critical system, all before attempting to teleport out as the entire structure collapses around them. Brilliant mission!

That particular plot works just as well with old and new Necron fluff. The difference being, in the new fluff you can banter with the Lords as you beat them in single combat. Another difference being, with the new fluff you can also tell different stories.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS