Photo

Conversion from 2nd Ed to 3rd Ed check difficulty?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

Hi All,

Is there any GM who have figured out a quick formula for converting, on the fly while playing a 2nd ed scenario, the test difficulty from 2nd to 3rd? I had a quick look at it this morning, using the Warhammer FRPG Dice Statistics V1.2 Excel doc that someone created (not sure who, but thank you!).

My assymptions are:

• In WFRP 2nd ed: Average human with a characteristic at 30% and trained once, since it's only way to attempt a skill check without suffering from dividing your char in half
  • In WFRP 3rd ed: Average human with a 3 blue dices characteristic and trained once with 1 expertise die
  • I attempted to get the same change of success, ignoring boon, bane, chaos star or sigmar's comet

WFRP2 Trained -> WFRP3 Trained Conversion

• Very Easy (+30%) -> Easy (1d)
  • Easy (+20%          -> Average (2d)
  • Routine (+10%)      -> Average (2d) + 1 Misfortune
  • Average (0%)         -> Hard (3d)
  • Challenging (-10%) -> Dauting (4d)
  • Hard (-20%)           -> Epic (5d)
  • Very Hard (-30%)   -> Impossible (7d)

Of course, you don't have to be trained in WFRP3 to attempt a skill check, in which case your chance of success would be less (~ -10% less).

What do you guys think, does anyone have a better way to do this? (Most probably since It took me just 5 min to put that together and I haven't given it much thoughts).

Cheers

Ceodryn

#2 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:13 AM

This was noodled about soon after release.

I think most people have used Very Easy = 0 Dice simple 3rd edition check (since such checks can still be failed - I've seen it),  and go up 1 D each step from there.

#3 ozean

ozean

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

I remember having a 69 or 79 score in Agility for my Marksman (~rank 2) – the -30% check for him would be way easier than a 7 challenge die check even for a rank 4 character! So I think you might need to adjust the higher difficulties down a bit.

#4 Sami K

Sami K

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Wouldn't it make more sense to match difficulty descriptor with difficulty descriptor and fill in the gaps with Misfortune dice?

I don't know why you'd want to go back to the old 30% chance for a trained professional to succeed on an average task thing. It was simply the weakest part of WFRP 1 and 2 design.

WFRP2 Trained -> WFRP3 Trained Conversion

Very Easy (+30%) -> 1 Misfortune
Easy (+20% -> Easy (1d)
Routine (+10%) -> Easy (1d) + 1 Misfortune
Average (0%) -> Average (2d)
Challenging (-10%) -> Average (2d) +1 Misfortune
Hard (-20%) -> Hard (3d)
Very Hard (-30%) -> Daunting (4d) (or just Hard (3d) + 1 Misfortune, but here might be a good place to start ramping the difficulty a bit more)

#5 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

Sami K,

After trying out different conversions in game, I ended up with the same ones that you suggested. It worked so far so I'll keep it as is.

Cheers

Ceodryn

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS