Close Combat and Suppression question…

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 calvinc71

calvinc71

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

Appologies if this has been answered somewhere before…  I played my second game last night, and am still working out the rules…  My Gorillas got into a fight with the Hammers…  So does Close Combat cause Suppression?  Is this why everyone loves Apes?

We had the Off Target Shelling condition in effect, so the effect was even more pronounced…

Looking forward to getting a better handle on the rules so I can keep my head in the game!

#2 Ludditeyes

Ludditeyes

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Any "Attack" that scores a "hit" (crosshair) causes suppression. Even if some armor roll negates the effect. Some units cannot be suppressed (no marker applied). These units cannot "hide" with improved cover due to that suppression.

Best

Luddite

#3 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

Yep, and every axis player I know loves apes, zombies, and off target shelling.  It's a hefty combination

#4 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

blkdymnd said:

Yep, and every axis player I know loves apes, zombies, and off target shelling.  It's a hefty combination

Until you've killed everything but a Pounder and a Hot Dog, realizing the only thing you have left which can hurt them is Grenadier X with 3 wounds taken and the 5 zombies he's paired with.  Walkers can't be suppressed, and my poor zombies got slaughtered on a reaction fire (damn turrets). 

Fortunately, my medic brought back 3 of my SturmPionere's unit and I killed the wounded Walkers with Panzerfausts in a running battle. 

#5 madmaxknick50

madmaxknick50

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

I love my Apes and Zombies …. scares the heck out of my opponent.

#6 Jonez34

Jonez34

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

Yeah they total wiped my forces in a game this weekend.

#7 calvinc71

calvinc71

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

Okay--another Ape-related question…  Well, Markus-related, really…

Can Markus use Charge and Fast in the same activation?  That's 24" and an attack for a squad of Apes?  Wow…  Is this right?

My buddy and I have been playing without heros for now to try and get the system down…  I like how the heroes give the game more fluff/pulp, but it's going to take some getting used to the power-shifts…

#8 Denied

Denied

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

calvinc71 said:

Okay--another Ape-related question…  Well, Markus-related, really…

Can Markus use Charge and Fast in the same activation?  That's 24" and an attack for a squad of Apes?  Wow…  Is this right?

My buddy and I have been playing without heros for now to try and get the system down…  I like how the heroes give the game more fluff/pulp, but it's going to take some getting used to the power-shifts…

Fast only applies to your first move action so you only get one +6" so the most you can move is 18" and assault within 3" for Close Combat weapons, so effectively you're 21" threat range only. 

Also you don't get fast in the command phase so in the command phase you can only move 6" off an order to move. 

Otherwise yes you can do a marched move with Fast and get your charge from Markus. 

#9 DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Fast can be used with any move action except a reaction.

Page 55   "FAST A unit with this ability is particularly swift and often lightly equipped. Its rapid rate of advance on the battlefield is apt to catch the enemy unawares. Once per turn a Fast unit may move an additional 6” when it takes a Move action. The unit must execute at least one Move action to gain this benefit (it would not gain free movement during a Sustained Attack). Even during a March Move action, the unit may only move an additional 6”. The Fast ability cannot be used as part of a Move reaction."

If you take Markus as part of a Sturmgrenadiere platoon you can get an extra 6" with the blitzkrieg order making the move 24" per turn.

#10 calvinc71

calvinc71

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

I think I really like Apes.

Thanks for all the advice and answers!

#11 Ariano

Ariano

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

Denied said:

Also you don't get fast in the command phase so in the command phase you can only move 6" off an order to move. 

I don't see why you can not have the Fast extra 6" in the command phase. Is it somewhere in the rules? according to the Fast description it affects to one Move Action in the turn, therefore it should be available for a Move Action in the Command Phase or for a Move Action in the Unit phase but not for the two of them in the same turn, right ?

#12 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:26 AM

Fast works just fine in the Command Phase.

The limitations on Fast are that
1)  It can only be used once per turn.

2)  It can't be used when reacting

But you can use it in the Command Phase - you just can't use it both in the command phase and the unit phase.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS