Help! please, stuck on character creation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MeisterH

MeisterH

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

I recently got Anima as a gift, and has just started making characters (I am new to RPGs, so please don't hate me for asking questions that might be stupid). But now I'm running in to trouble. I don't understand how you figure out your bonuses to the characteristics. should I only look to my class? Where do I find natural Bonuses? Secondly I don't understand how resistance is figured out, should a character start with 30 in all resistances? And lastly, what secondary abilities may I choose? Want's to make an acrobatic warrior, does that hinder me from learning some of the secondary skills, I know it at least boost some of them.

#2 Raybras

Raybras

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:44 AM

MeisterH said:

I recently got Anima as a gift, and has just started making characters (I am new to RPGs, so please don't hate me for asking questions that might be stupid). But now I'm running in to trouble. I don't understand how you figure out your bonuses to the characteristics. should I only look to my class? Where do I find natural Bonuses? Secondly I don't understand how resistance is figured out, should a character start with 30 in all resistances? And lastly, what secondary abilities may I choose? Want's to make an acrobatic warrior, does that hinder me from learning some of the secondary skills, I know it at least boost some of them.

Hello efidm, welcome to anima and the forums. Don't worry, nobody here will hate you because you are starting, we are all happy that there are new players to this great and wonderful setting

now to start off, Characteristic Bonuses are all predetermined dependent on the value. These numbers can be found on page 009 of the Core book in "Table 2". When you get used to it, you'll notice there's a small pattern.

Natural Bonuses you normally have 1 to place at each level. What it does is, You raise the final value of a secondary skill of your choice by an amount equal the Characteristic Bonus attached to it. Pretend you have a 9 in agility, which would grant a +10 characteristic, you could add an additional +10 to say Acrobatics. These points are retroactive, so if your Characteristic Bonus changes, so do your Natural Bonuses. Keep in mind that the total bonus from characteristics can't be higher than 100. so in the end, if you have 14 Agility which grants +25, your Natural Bonuses will stop at +75 meaning any Natural above 3 is lost.((am i saying too much??))

Base Resistance is also dependent on your Base Presence, this is a fixed number that is directly linked to your level. These numbers are on page 014 in "Table 5". Basically if you are level 5, you have a Presence of 50 and base resistances of 50, then add in modifiers for resistances.

This is a great part about Anima, you are not limited to any secondary abilities. Your character is entitled to learn anything he wants. The limitations though are all within the DP Costs to learn them, so spend wisely. Your Class will give you certain bonuses per level in certain secondary skills, because it's what they are better at, but it doesn't mean your Acrobatic Warrior can't learn History, Poisons or Persuasion.

If you have any other questions, feel free to come back here or on the official Anima Forum found here

#3 MeisterH

MeisterH

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

Next question(s).

Do I need to buy a weapon module to use weapons or can I use one from the start? Is their any "limitations" to what weapons I can use, except for strenght. So could I use a broad sword or hammer as a thief or must i use daggers or something similare?

#4 MeisterH

MeisterH

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

And while I'm out on the webs I want to ask what book one should get after the main game. Any suggestions, I'm new to role-playing so maybe I should start with something else then if  I would have had more experience?

#5 Raybras

Raybras

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:57 AM

You start with a weapon of choice, no limitations except str as you noted. Modules is to add more weapons to your repertoire. 

If you are starting a new game with all new players, i'd suggest the DM Toolkit. It has a few more advantages, disadvantages and style modules. Also there are a few sample characters. Most important though, is that there is an intro campaign that has all the elements of a good story. 

After that i'd suggest Gaia: Beyond Dreams vol 1, its a wonderful supplement that expands on the setting. 

If you are looking for more combat oriented supplement, Dominus exxet is also a great addition for ki users or fighters in general. 

#6 MeisterH

MeisterH

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:04 AM

Thank you very much!

Have a friend who have done some RPG:ing so he will probably be GM but I will still get that book. What should I write in the the Attack and Defense spaces in a weapon? I understand the rest, but have no idea what should be in those spaces and haven't found anything about them in the book yet.

#7 Raybras

Raybras

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:48 AM

Well, i usually write the final value after weapon+hand modifiers. Say you have 100 attack, with 2 longswords +5, main hand would have final attack 105 while using that longsword and offhand would have final attack 65 or 85 with ambidexterity advantage. ((well, i think those are te offhand mods, dont have book with me))

While defense would be similar. Shields are considered weappns so you could have 70 block and gain +20 while blocking with it

#8 MeisterH

MeisterH

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

Not sure if I understood it right. but In my example, I have a character with a rapier, and strength 4, and attack 70. would the attack with the rapier be 65 then, because of the -5 from 4 strength? And damage would be unchanged i guess. Is the defense of the weapon my block and dodge combined?

#9 F3nr1s

F3nr1s

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

For your example: If you have a strength of 4, an attack ability of 70  (plus your dexterity bonus) and are using a rapier, you would use it with your attack ability of 70, because: The requiered strength for the rapier is 4.

But: Your damage would be 40 + (-5) = 35 base damage. 

For your defense: You would use Dodge OR Block, not the combined. Usually in Anima, a character specialize in on kind of defense. If needed, you can use the other kind with a -60 penalty (for example, if you are a "blocker", with a block ability of 100, you can also dodge with a ability of 40 (100 Block - 60 penalty).

So long,

#10 MeisterH

MeisterH

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for all your help, I've had my first session a little while ago and it was AWESOME!!!

I've already ordered the GM kit, and is wondering about the Ki book, if it is only worth if you fight much?

#11 Raybras

Raybras

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

here's what the ki book contains

chapter 1) Origin of ki (Fluff and stuff)

Chapter 2) Advanced Combat Rules (most things require at least 200 attack, some other rules pertaining to attributes, some style modules, MK learning speeds)

Chapter 3) New Abilities and Advantages (some advantages, some new ki abilities, Nemesis abilities and Limits)

Chapter 4) Martial Arts (Expanded system with new martial arts, some weapons for martial arts etc)

Chapter 5) Dominion Technique Creation (More powers included, more disadvantages, more types etc)

Chapter 6) Blood Legacies (bloodlines that mostly affect combat oriented things)

Chapter 7) Ars Magnus (major arts that have some freaky powerful powers, Impossible Weapons included here)

Chapter 8) Invocation Seals (summon creatures with which you have pacts through ki)

Chapter 9) Technique Compendium (a few Dominion Technique Trees)

Appendix 1) New Weapons and Armor

thats about it.

#12 Jenks

Jenks

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

Is Dominous Exxet worth it? I'd say yes, but I guess it depends on your budget. It does have a nice new portion of ki technique abilities, and it expands martial arts but tenfold. But unless you have people that are interested in it, then it is kind of moot. Some of the higher level techniques/ars magnus are also good idea fodder for npcs and BBEGs.

My two Copper.

#13 MeisterH

MeisterH

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:09 PM

In my groups future sessions we are going to focus on story and mysteries the most, and there will always be room for combat and sometimes when combat will be in escapable. But the main focus will be story, from that kind of view, what books are worth getting? I've already gotten the GM kit.

#14 Raybras

Raybras

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

If story is your main focus, Gaia: Beyond Dreams vol1 is suggested for it a book with major fluff and expanded information on all areas of the old continent. It also gives some quest ideas for certain places. Probably the best setting supplement from any rpg out there

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS