Miskatonic getting the Love

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Yvain

Yvain

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

This latest cycle is reallyy giving MU the love. Already had Research Assistant, Infirmary, Folklore Professor, Dr. Mya Badry and now Combing the Archives. New Necromonicon to come. Really anticipating rest of cycle. FFG really committed to making this faction competitive. So much so now consideing if Open for Inspection has a place with so much support destruction around. Better to run The Locked Door and Combing the Archives and Ol Lazy Eyes/Red Gloved MAn. Would you keep Open for Inspection.

#2 Surreal

Surreal

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

Open for Inspection works great with Marcus Jamburg (he is so amazing in many decks). Commt to 2-3 stories and if opponent lets one story go unopposed then return Jamburg to your hand and put Open for Inspection from your discard pile to the unopposed story to win the story 0 to 5.

#3 Yvain

Yvain

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

Nice move. Thats a vote for keeping Open for Inspection. And with Museum Curator you rarely pay for it to get it into play.

#4 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:12 AM

unless of course there's a support destruction or 2 getting in your way (hee hee). i've always (unfortunately) found miskatonic to be great on paper with its 0 - 5 successes in a turn, but every time i try to put it into practice, most decks are able to combat it, and if they can't, then they really need a re working.

as for locked door, im personally not a fan. it can really blow up in your face against an ancient one faction deck with negotium perambulans. suddenly you're giving monsters investigation icons!!!

just my biased opinion though.

#5 Surreal

Surreal

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

COCLCG said:

i've always (unfortunately) found miskatonic to be great on paper with its 0 - 5 successes in a turn, but every time i try to put it into practice, most decks are able to combat it, and if they can't, then they really need a re working.

I think players try focusing on that too much. Open for Inspection should just be extra part of the deck. Museum Curator and Marcus + some good support cards will go along way in Miskatonic deck (like Dimensional Rift, Open for Inspection, Infirmary, Khopesh etc.).

#6 Hellfury

Hellfury

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

I like where Nerds seem to be going.

I think the Folklore Prof is likely one of the best Nerd characters for its cost before even taking its text into consideration. It's a compulsory character.

Infirmary gives the middle finger to Snow Graves.

#7 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

i'm just wondering how disturbed i might feel if / when the crazed arsonist burns the infirmary to the ground………

or perhaps if my cold cultist heart will register it at all………

#8 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

and by the way……..

la de da de da de da. LONG. LIVE. YOG!!

i'm loving the new asylum packs and the fact that i backed Yog as my favourite faction. everyones getting all excited about the new cards but facts are that:

Mya badry
Folklore professor
Infirmary
Teodor corvin
Cover me
Elise warren
Black maria
Unfortunate accident
(any card that deals with destroyed / wounded really)

are all useless against the ridiculous amount of sacrificing Yog can rain down on its enemies (sorry to be so chuffed about it).

#9 Yvain

Yvain

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

The point with the support destruction is it exhausts a domain. With Museum Curator and Marcus Jamburg Open for Inspection is a free card so tempo stays with MU who also will usually have card advantage.

#10 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

actually with jamburg it isn't a free card because you're only swapping one for the other, and a more expensive one at that than a support destruction or the card you're generally getting back. i think he's being a bit over rated. museum curator, ok, if you're lucky enough to get it in the next 5.

of course it differs from faction to faction. i certainly wouldn't be playing it against david pan and the syndicate. 0 - 5 for the opposition perhaps??

again, just my biased opinion.

#11 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

and just so people know, all i'm trying to do, in my own roundabout, kinda ******-like way, is keep people focused on what dangers / obstacles there are to certain fixed plans and things they should remember before getting carried away with deck ideas.

in this instance i still don't think the miskatonic rush is ready to go beyond a fun deck to play against your mates, and fun it is!! but certainly not one to think taking beyond that……. YET!! i, like everyone i'm sure, can't wait for them to come into their own, but for now they need some back-up from some destructive factions, and focusing on an investigation rush win will only come to tears the first time a negotium or khopesh gets played, and they just don't have the versatility to deal with most of the popular strategies all in one deck. it will absolutely cream some, but get creamed in turn by others.

but there's still 3 AP's to go in this cycle so here's hoping!!

another small point is not to get carried away by some imagined card / hand size advantage. all a player needs to do is design a deck that used all 3 domains every turn, either with a plethora of cards / pay X for abilities / phaser's like master of myths and black dog, and you simply can't get any faster than this (unless you get extra domains). if you're not using all your domains every turn, then chances are you'll get beaten by someone who is.

#12 Hellfury

Hellfury

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:51 AM

COCLCG said:

everyones getting all excited about the new cards but facts are that:

Mya badry
Folklore professor
Infirmary
Teodor corvin
Cover me
Elise warren
Black maria
Unfortunate accident

are all useless against the ridiculous amount of sacrificing Yog can rain down on its enemies.

Heh. You keep on thinking that. But the one deck type that gave a very well tuned and well played Cthulhu/Yog destruction deck fits was… you guessed it…

Rush.

#13 Surreal

Surreal

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:52 AM

COCLCG said:

i, like everyone i'm sure, can't wait for them to come into their own, but for now they need some back-up from some destructive factions, and focusing on an investigation rush win will only come to tears the first time a negotium or khopesh gets played, and they just don't have the versatility to deal with most of the popular strategies all in one deck. it will absolutely cream some, but get creamed in turn by others.

I would play Khopesh in almost every Miskatonic deck. It works good with Museum Curator, Infirmary, Professor of Folklore, Dr. Mya etc. Khopesh, Ice Shaft and Dimensional Rift seems like a good package for Misk. Also I don't think any faction is planned to just work on their own.

#14 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

Hellfury said:

COCLCG said:

everyones getting all excited about the new cards but facts are that:

Mya badry
Folklore professor
Infirmary
Teodor corvin
Cover me
Elise warren
Black maria
Unfortunate accident

are all useless against the ridiculous amount of sacrificing Yog can rain down on its enemies.

Heh. You keep on thinking that. But the one deck type that gave a very well tuned and well played Cthulhu/Yog destruction deck fits was… you guessed it…

Rush.

don't need to think it. its fact. all these cards deal with wounded and destroyed NOT sacrificed. it totally bypasses the text on all of them. and the cthulhu / yog deck was obviously not well tuned enough if it couldn't deal with a rush. i'd say they probably focused too much on destruction (another massive boo boo and exactly what i'm trying to get through, in that a focused strategy deck is not the way to go and will always have weaknesses, and people need to be making mixed strategy decks). i mean, did this person have 'a single path' or 'negotium perambulans in their deck?? because i'm of the view that if your deck isn't a rush deck, then negotium is the only logical choice for the resticted card……… yes, it may interfere with the 'perfect little plan' but i'm guessing the aforementioned cthulhu / yog player was wishing they had it.

i AM liking the khopesh / miskatonic mix though surreal.

#15 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

an example of a cthulhu / yog deck MIGHT be (knocked up from another deck in 5 minutes and hasn't been 'tuned'):

Jade salesman x 3
Faceless abductor x 3
Pawn broker x 3
Red gloved man x 2
Mutant spawn x 2
Many angled thing x 3
Mage known as Magnus x 3
Stalking hound x 2
Deep one rising x 3
Cthulhu (new) x 3
Yog-Sothoth (new) x 3

Negotium perambulans x 3
A single glimpse x 3
Sacrificial offerings x 2
Speak to the dead x 3
Opening the limbo gate x 3
Dragged into the deep x 3
Get it off x 3

still plenty of recursion destruction / sacrificing, but also massive protection against khopesh / stygian / snow graves, can stop a rush dead in its tracks, and has an added strategy of possibly pumping out ancient ones by turn 3.

but yeah, miskatonic ARE really getting the love this cycle, would you agree??

#16 AUCodeMonkey

AUCodeMonkey

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

As a nerd IRL, nerds need lovin' 

#17 Runix

Runix

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:46 AM

Yvain said:

This latest cycle is reallyy giving MU the love.

I agree.  It could very well give the Cthulhu dominance a run for its money.  Instead of people running mono Cthulhu decks, Cthulhu/Yog decks, or Cthulhu/Hastur decks, they'll start running . . .

. . . Cthulhu/Miskatonic decks, of course.

COCLCG said:

i AM liking the khopesh / miskatonic mix though surreal.

Sigh.

#18 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:26 AM

hahaha. didn't say i'd do it though!!

i am a strong anti - cthulhu deck maker myself. hate them with a passion because they're so easy to make. i was simply commenting on another person's idea and am deeply offended having my name and that remark 'quoted' in that light - haha. i'm more a shub / yog man myself, and you'd know this if you were around enough (i'd even go as far to say that people on here are probably sick of hearing me laud them so incessantly).

(plus i thought it'd be nice to actually agree with people sometimes and look how it came back to bite me on the arse).

#19 Hellfury

Hellfury

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

COCLCG said:

don't need to think it. its fact. all these cards deal with wounded and destroyed NOT sacrificed. it totally bypasses the text on all of them. and the cthulhu / yog deck was obviously not well tuned enough if it couldn't deal with a rush.

Ya see, when you start talking in absolutes, it is hard to take you seriously.

First off, its not a "fact". Second of all you dont know what you are talking about when saying that the deck wasn't tuned well enough. You've been playing for a few months and won an OZ regional and suddenly what you say is "fact"? I am afraid not, grasshopper.

As for being "deeply offended"… huh? I only refuted your assertion stated as an irrefutable fact. If such really was as weak as you say, then the game is broken. Which is patently false.

#20 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

you might wanna look up at the post preceeding that comment (shakes head).

not everyone's talking to you and i've seen in other posts you getting all high and mighty over garbage so tone it down will ya.

infirmary deals with destroyed characters. it does nothing against sacrificing. AKA fact.

oh, that's right. sorry, i forgot that you dwell in a Non-Euclidean universe where your cards somehow work differently.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS