Sir we've been scanned!!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

After reading the Ghost-eye Deep Void Scanner on page 95 BFK, it states that they can actively scan an opponent and it is all but undetectable?  So pretty much, every time someone else scans your ship you know you are being scanned (and you theirs)?  But do you know where they are at?  And what about deep void scanning, like scanning a solar system and the planets therein?  Can pirates detect that "ping" you send out too?

I probably should post this is the House Rule forum, but alas it should also be cursory stated in the rules somewhere.  I just don't see it……  Tear  :*(

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#2 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

The point of the Ghost-Eye is that it is able to scan other objects without being detected while in Silent Running. The simplest way to look at standard Imperial focused auguries is that they use a synthetic aperture radar, which basically bombards an area with pulses of radio waves and processes the successful returns into a coherent image. Obviously it will be far more complicated and probably use. I dunno, strangelets or something. An active augury would be more of a spherical snapshot, like an electronic echolocation. In both cases, the key point is that you are emitting energy in order to get an image. Passive augury, on the other hand, would simply entail keeping an electronic ear out for vessels broadcasting their transponders (Ship name, current heading and speed at its' most simple) or scanning them.

tl;dr: If you actively scan something, you are also sending a signal that indicates your current location.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS