Chaos Marine wants to pick up a fallen Grey Knight's weapon

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Elurindel

Elurindel

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:03 AM

In a climactic fight that ended a story arc, my party brought down a Grey Knight Terminator. Now the Chaos Marine wants to pick up his weapon. I'm wondering, should he suffer in any way for touching a weapon so obviously and potently holy? He has 35 CP, so I figure it should hurt him somehow.

#2 Zerohour

Zerohour

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

Actually unless they have changed lore it is not necessarily going to hurt him if he picks it up.  A nemesis force weapon is psychically attuned to the grey knight so the weapon won't work for the chaos marine.  However without the psychic powers of the grey knight to power the weapon, a nemesis force weapon may be harmless.  The question I wonder is can a nemesis force weapon be corrupted in a way so that it retains some of its original properties.

#3 Illithid00

Illithid00

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

I would say that if the character in question is a sorcerer, that a ritual could be cooked up to corrupt the Nemesis weapon to serve Chaos. Make it a Best-quality force weapon with the Nemesis force weapon rules from the Daemon Hunter book, and call it a day.

I'd also say that the ritual should probably convey the Enemy (Grey Knights) talent as well.

#4 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

There is some bit in the Daemon Weapon section that is about corrupting a Sancified weapon [Nemesis weapons are sanctified] and getting a bonus for it. You could always take that route and make it into a Daemon Weapon.

• Robin Graves likes this

#5 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

DJSunhammer said:

There is some bit in the Daemon Weapon section that is about corrupting a Sancified weapon [Nemesis weapons are sanctified] and getting a bonus for it. You could always take that route and make it into a Daemon Weapon.

Indeed. This is probably the best use for a sanctified weapon in Black Crusade - for the satisfaction of defiling a weapon of the corpse-Emperor's lackeys, and because a sanctified weapon makes a more effective prison for its new daemonic inhabitant.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer,Ark of Lost Souls, and Hammer of the Emperor

I no longer write for, or am employed by, Fantasy Flight Games in any fashion. All of my comments are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of any employer, past, present, or future.

#6 Ferrous82

Ferrous82

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Make it a high quality force weapon that requires a ritual to attune to. If a non-psyker wants to use it, perhaps require some artificing to make it into a high quality power weapon. I also really like the idea of corrupting it. That is very much what Black Crusade is all about.

#7 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Let us not forget that a Nemesis force weapon is stll a fearsome and lethally well crafted weapon even if you subtract the extra hit of psychic might from a grey knight.

#8 Quietus1

Quietus1

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

Absolutely. Capturing such a  weapon from the hated Grey Knights and corrupting it to his own purposes is a superlative tribute to chaos and a sublime trophy.

#9 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

Well, if the Grey Knights can use daemon weapons with no ill effect, why shouldn't the inverse be possible?

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#10 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

Well duh, they are….Warded

#11 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#12 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:49 AM

Boss Gitsmasha said:

Just had to post that this made my day sonreir

Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#13 Ansalagon

Ansalagon

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

Somebody is going to end up with one hell of a weapon... and the approval of the dark gods XD

#14 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

I like this idea, but I have this nagging voice in the back of my head;

Why would a Grey Knight Nemesis weapon not also be gene-coded?

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#15 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

You have called 1-900-CHAOS,

If you wish to consume the fallen Grey Knight and bind some of his essence to you - please press: 88888888

#16 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:58 AM

It might be gene-coded but only to affect its power field quality. And everything is always possible to break when you have will and possibly daemon in mind who you want to bound in said weapon to desecrate it ^_^

#17 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:37 AM

It might be gene-coded but only to affect its power field quality. And everything is always possible to break when you have will and possibly daemon in mind who you want to bound in said weapon to desecrate it ^_^

I was thinking that it would affect the Force quality first and foremost, but more importantly, explode into a nice little mushroom cloud when someone tried to defile it. :|

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#18 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:01 AM

I was thinking that it would affect the Force quality first and foremost, but more importantly, explode into a nice little mushroom cloud when someone tried to defile it. :|

Well sometimes force weapons are said to be created to specific Psyker by making it work more in harmony with his psychic signature, so Force and Powerfield might not work at all. But like your description of similarity to Judge Dredd Lawgiver pistol, self-destruction when wielded by anyone else than current user.

• Fgdsfg likes this

#19 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

BTW am I the only one that's noticed that the Grey Knight's nemesis force sword seems to have been designed using the standard sword stats (+ some Pen for power field) rather than the force sword stats in the book? It actually does worse damage than the sword in the armoury.

Edited by bogi_khaosa, 27 November 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#20 Annaamarth

Annaamarth

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

Force weapons in general are (as far as I read) based off of the stats of a primitive weapon with the mono upgrade first and foremost.  They also occasionally lose stats in translation- compare the Force Scythe in BC with the just-plain Scythe, and you'll note that the force scythe loses felling.

I houserule the losing-attributes bit, but the rest makes sense.  The bulk of the power of a force weapon comes from the wielder's Psy Rating, and a powerful psyker using a force sword dwarfs a power sword.

Anyway's, if I read the Grey Knight entry right, the Nemesis sword there deals 1d10R pen 6 as a base weapon, plus 11 damage from strength and plus 2 damage and pen from psy rating.  That looks better than a standard sword with mono upgrade (d10R pen 2), but worse than the 1d10R+1 pen 2 +10 to WS best quality sword with mono that I would expect it to be based on.  The Nemesis given seems to trade the +1 damage for a +4 pen.  I guess I can see that.  No mention of a +10 to WS tests for it being a best quality weapon though.

RIP AND TEAR THROUGH THE TIDE OF BLOOD WITH BATTLESUIT PILOT. SUPLEX HIVE TYRANTS. DO WHATEVER, YOU'RE PILOTING A HUGE-ASS MECHA.

-Errant, on how Rogue Trader ought to be played

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS