Interview with Paul Thorn, champion of the Munich Regional

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mischraum.de

mischraum.de

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

This is an e-mail interview I did with Paul Thorn, winner of the Regional in Munich. I hope it motivates some of you guys out there to get actively involved in the tournament scene.

Hi Paul! For me you came like out of the nowhere. Now you have won the Regional in Munich. Being the first of 12 players doesn‘t sound like that a great achievement compared to other tournament games but you were ahead of players in that tournament that did quite well in the last European Championship in Liege. 

How long have you been playing Call of Cthulhu?

I've been playing for about eight months. I started buying my own cards and deckbuilding about four months ago.

Have you experience with other customizable or strategy games?

COC LCG is the first customizable card game that I have played. I have played quite a few wargames and other strategic board games, though.

What has brought you into the Call of Cthulhu LCG?

A friend bought a core set and suggested that we play. I became an addict right away. We played many variations using randomly selected decks. After meeting a third player at a local game store, I started buying my own cards, and the three of us began meeting regularly to play using our own decks.

What has brought you into gaming?

I liked simple strategy games (like Risk) when I was a child, and started playing more sophisticated ones when I went to high school and discovered other people that shared my love of strategizing.

What is your favourite aspect of the Call of Cthulhu LCG?

The combination of out-of-game and in-game strategy is great, along with the great replay value originating from deckbuilding and randomized deck order. I ain't bored yet.

Is there anything you dislike about the game?

Perhaps that it's too addictive.

Although not having the cost of a classical CCG a LCG like Call of Cthulhu with a lot of cards now released can have an intimidating price point to new players. How important is having 3 copies of everything to win a tournament in your opinion?

I started out buying: The Order of the Silver Twilight Expansion, a couple of Asylum Packs, and a handful of cards on EBay. This small card pool allowed for some pretty good decks. I now own many more cards (and three copies each of the cards that I really like), but still less than half of the cards that are in print. The thought of having to spend a fair bit to build competitive decks was annoying at first. But the cost wasn't so high given the hours of pleasure I've derived from playing.

Your deck in the tournament was a very efficient one I would say. When playing CoC with friends do you even spend your time on building “flavour decks” like Deep Ones or Mi-Go or do you head straightly for the uber deck?

I like experimenting with decks and combos that will surprise my friends. I also like to set challenges, for example: Build the best possible mono-Miskatonic deck.

In one sentence: How do I build a good deck?

Start by building around a core of cards with strong effects, reasonable costs, and good synergy, and then play with that deck against a variety of opponent decks, making adjustments as you detect ways to make your deck better.

Travelling for LCG tournaments: Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Gen Con, Genoa, Göteborg, Liege, Salzburg
Next destination: Make a suggestion!

#2 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

nice!! and congrats paul on the win. i will add that winning a regional of 12 players sounds much more impressive than winning my regional of 4 players!!

#3 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

its also great to see some new talent emerging. i, like paul, have never played CCG's / LCG's before CoC and only starting collecting 4 months ago. so to all new players, feel heartened that a complete set / experience does not necessarily equate to victory. i think magnus stated somewhere that it's coming down to play ability these days so just practice, practice, practice till your eyes bleed!!

#4 Konx

Konx

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

mischraum.de said:

This is an e-mail interview I did with Paul Thorn, winner of the Regional in Munich. I hope it motivates some of you guys out there to get actively involved in the tournament scene. 

Very cool idea and interesting interview!

And congratulations again to Paul :)

bye

Konx

#5 Dark Initiate

Dark Initiate

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

The tournament was great, thanks to Ulrich.  All of my opponents were very good players.

#6 kamacausey

kamacausey

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:04 AM

I don't mean to be rude by I didn't find this interview to be informative or helpful at all. It was never mentioned once what he won with? What did his deck list look like. Why did he play what he did? 

#7 KrissS666

KrissS666

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

Yes i'm agree with kamacausey

Congrat to Paul Thorn, but how he make this deck? what is the deck list?

#8 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

kamacausey said:

It was never mentioned once what he won with? What did his deck list look like. Why did he play what he did? 

This tournament took place shortly after the French Regional which set a precendent since the tournament winner demanded that his deck should not be publicly disclosed. So, in the German Regional every player was given a choice to decide the same. That's why only participents of the tournament know about his deck.

Personally, I think it's stupid, but I respect the decision.

#9 kamacausey

kamacausey

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:15 AM

Thats fine. I respect that decision as well but why waste time with a useless interview? To just get a public "atta boy!"? Stupid imho.

#10 KrissS666

KrissS666

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:11 AM

Even if we don't get lot of information, it's always good to talk about tournament, winner and co ^^

#11 Hellfury

Hellfury

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

I have a lot of respect for Ulrich, but I have to agree with Kamacausey. But it is still true to the title of the thread as it is just an interview with the regional winner.

Its the kind of biographical info that could have been put in someone's forum profile that people could read if they are interested in that person. An entire thread dedicated to such info doesn't really serve any purpose, but apparently some people find it interesting.

#12 .Zephyr.

.Zephyr.

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

This info is a bit interesting, but someone being a prodigy or bringing experience from other games isn't unheard of so i don't feel this "everyone with small pool can be a champ" theme. Other than that i don't see much content.

And this secrecy is puzzling me. This no scouting rule, now decks going not public. Is this a real problem? For me it seems unenforceable and makes getting info even more important as its harder to get. And for establishing meta its good for ideas to flow between players. I'm not sure how it will look when all is secret… or its limited availability and made public after new cards are released so its harder to just steal fresh ideas?

#13 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

.Zephyr. said:

And this secrecy is puzzling me. This no scouting rule, now decks going not public. Is this a real problem?

No it's not.

Decks not going public was a direct reaction to the addition of the 'scouting rule'. As one of the participants at the German Regional stated: "I'll insist on enforcing this rule just to show everyone how stupid it is."

I think, the thread discussing the scouting rule can still be found on this forum.

#14 Hellfury

Hellfury

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

jhaelen said:

Decks not going public was a direct reaction to the addition of the 'scouting rule'.

I could have swore I have seen numerous people deliberately not discussing and or witholding their decks lists years before the scouting rule was even brought up.

Being a secret sally about decklists is nothing new to this game. Deck list secrecy is a long held and huge bug bear of mine. If you cannot win a game without surprising an opponent with a decklist, then you are not a very good player in the first place.

But I can see the scouting rule making deck list secrecy even more prevalent with players. Yet another reason to rail against the scouting rule.

Again, counting on the worst in people never yields positive results.

#15 .Zephyr.

.Zephyr.

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

I dont get this rule, maybe not whole decklist, but cards like Benath the myre i think you should tell your opponent about so he plays accordingly, its just too huge a swing in a really stupid way to get with such a thing. Hack journalist is also pretty stupid if you don't expect him and don't keep something that can get him, but here at least its generally a good thing to do to having some kind of character control and hes voulnerable to very many control effects. And stuff like my Yog-Shub with a lone hacker just cause i can shocking transform him/opening the getes him, not much hint until you lose some random story. Not sure how viable it would be in a better deck but it sounds extremely nonsense to surprise with such cards.

But maybe the idea is that its too easy to just still the deck when you have full decklist publicly available… idk

#16 Penfold

Penfold

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:34 AM

Deck secrecy was around years and years before the no scouting rule. The community can't reasonably complain about a no scouting rule when the community has a long history of trying to keep deck tech secret.

A player insisting on enforcing the rule strictly to show how stupid it is is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Like all unsportsmanlike rulings it only comes into play when a player makes a charge of it. No one decides to complain the TO has no reason to take action. It is just another tool giving players and TO's control for what kind of tournament they want to have.

#17 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

At the Gencon tournaments we were joking about the no scouting rule being rather silly.  Several of us were flashing cards at each other and saying "don't scout me", stuff like that.

For my part, I'm always happy to post my decks and answer any questions someone may have about how it works or why I built it that way, and I hope that more people adopt a similar stance.

I understand secrecy when big money is on the line like in the top Magic tournaments, but for Call of Cthulhu the community benefits of sharing knowledge I think outweigh any small lasting competitive advantage.  Once the tournament is over, the secrecy should be over too.

#18 Penfold

Penfold

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

I agree. IF you don't want people knowing what you are running or what strategies you are going to use during the tournament you should have some facility for that. When the tournament is over I'm all about sharing. The sole exception would be is if I'm in another tournament with the same deck before a new AP comes out.

#19 Mancario

Mancario

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:18 AM

hi!

a bit off topic but I'm sorta new in Munich so I don't know much about the game/hobby stores in Munich.

At which game store was the tournament held (I'm guessing Funtainment). Does it have a good selection of FFG products?

thanks!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS