Illumination [Spoilers]

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Delazar78

Delazar78

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

I'm GMing the Illumination adventure from the Core rulebook.

The Acolytes are participating at the morning rites on the day of the consecration of the Cathedral, when Fanatics attack Stern Hope.

Our Psyker goes to the entrance of the Cathedral, and looks down at the Fanatics coming his way. While all the people inside the Cathedral run for cover, he uses the power of Fear, assuming a demonic visage, and also roll a 9, summoning ululating winds that knock the congregation on the ground.

Most of the people present started running in fear, or collapsed on the ground, while Brother Lamark and Severus moved on the Psyker to stop him. So the party killed Severus to protect the Psyker, and they wounded Lamark.

That's were we stopped our session. Now the question is, what will the consequences be for our Psycher?

I was thinking that, since the attack is still in progress, he may escape from the crowd, and try to hide somewhere, but eventually he'll have to show up (to keep playing…).

Should I be lenient, and have Aristarchus and Abbot Skae consider this just an "accident", or should I be more heavy-handed?

thanks in advance.

Delazar

My RPG campaigns

#2 Luthor Harkon

Luthor Harkon

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:50 AM

Delazar78 said:

I'm GMing the Illumination adventure from the Core rulebook.

The Acolytes are participating at the morning rites on the day of the consecration of the Cathedral, when Fanatics attack Stern Hope.

Our Psyker goes to the entrance of the Cathedral, and looks down at the Fanatics coming his way. While all the people inside the Cathedral run for cover, he uses the power of Fear, assuming a demonic visage, and also roll a 9, summoning ululating winds that knock the congregation on the ground.

Most of the people present started running in fear, or collapsed on the ground, while Brother Lamark and Severus moved on the Psyker to stop him. So the party killed Severus to protect the Psyker, and they wounded Lamark.

That's were we stopped our session. Now the question is, what will the consequences be for our Psycher?

I was thinking that, since the attack is still in progress, he may escape from the crowd, and try to hide somewhere, but eventually he'll have to show up (to keep playing…).

Should I be lenient, and have Aristarchus and Abbot Skae consider this just an "accident", or should I be more heavy-handed?

thanks in advance.

That is a difficult question as you have to find some sort of middle way between keeping true to the background and keeping the scenario and especially the respective player in the game.

Backround-wise such a thing could not be considered an accident at all. Using psychic powers in such a blatant way on the holy ground of Him on Terra is about the biggest blasphemy imaginable. Better die defending the Emperors cathedral than consorting with such unholy powers. Furthermore, in my view you must teach the player a lesson. Psykers are terribly powerful in DH and about the only thing limiting their usage of psychic powers is the "environment", meaning that citizens of the Imperium will act hostile against visible psychic powers (including in particular cases of psychic phenomena, which are rules-wise nothing more than a nuisance). This is not D&D after all…

Game-wise you must find a way to keep the player (even though punished somehow) in the game. He could have fled and found by the Ashleen hag (name?) or maybe Aristarchus has the idea that this PC is actually the better vessel for the later ritual and thus he hides or captures and subdues the Psyker somehow. Anyway, the PCs are on an official mission and with sanction of the Inquisition and this makes them sort of untouchable for many common men. So, maybe the PCs could convince Abbot Skae and his people that they will keep the Psyker locked away until handing him over to their Inquisitor for (lethal) punishment. Though after killing two of his most trusted servant, this is a bit of a stretch…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS