Photo

Any news on the Zverograd Campaign Book?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 BDub

BDub

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

Seriously! Its mid June.

That thing was supposed to ship in May, right?

#2 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

BDub said:

Seriously! Its mid June.

That thing was supposed to ship in May, right?

They didn't give a date, they did initially say second quarter which would be June, but I'm starting to think we're looking at least July

#3 BDub

BDub

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Everyone retailer I have checked was given May as the release month, with no specific day.

#4 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

BDub said:

Everyone retailer I have checked was given May as the release month, with no specific day.

My FLGS was given May for the DT Operation Zverograd Campaign box. But no date on the DW Operation Zverograd Campaign book. Perhaps your retailers were confused by the similar product names?  Or perhaps their distributors were on crack when they told them May for DW Zverograd book. 

My money is still on early August. I hope I'm wrong and it's late June early July. 

#5 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

I heard late June, so fingers crossed. It needs the third faction to keep interest in the game going as my LGS just started stocking the boxes and to just have a the zverograd campaign box and nothing else because his distributer is sold out of everything else is a big let down for a few of the guys that wanted their first army to be SSU and are now basically saying they will either buy into Dust or dropzone commander based solely on which company delivers models to the shelves first.

#6 KevinBakon

KevinBakon

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

The anticipation is killing me too. However, I'm hoping the extra bake time means the SSU will be as balanced as Axis and Allies. It must be especially tough to balance them with large numbers of commie choppers. 

#7 MiniJunkie

MiniJunkie

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

Strombole said:

I heard late June, so fingers crossed. It needs the third faction to keep interest in the game going as my LGS just started stocking the boxes and to just have a the zverograd campaign box and nothing else because his distributer is sold out of everything else is a big let down for a few of the guys that wanted their first army to be SSU and are now basically saying they will either buy into Dust or dropzone commander based solely on which company delivers models to the shelves first.

If they don't get it on shelves before early August it's a big miss imo - interest is high right now, and 6th Edition 40k will draw a lot of attention when it drops. Need to strike while the iron is hot.

Dropzone Commander isn't as big a threat IMO, now that they've released their pricing - it's quite high and will be something of a barrier to entry. It looks fun but the prices are a turnoff.

#8 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

MiniJunkie said:

Dropzone Commander isn't as big a threat IMO, now that they've released their pricing - it's quite high and will be something of a barrier to entry. It looks fun but the prices are a turnoff.

When looking at what they charge for dystopia wars, firestorm armada, and flames of war, I don't find the prices that bad. IMO, the dropzone commander models blow the models from those other games right out of the water. And comapred to what it would take a beginner to get going in flames of war, dropzone commander does not seem bad to me at all. On the one hand, its just 10mm, on the other it is really really beautiful 10mm. I always look at what it would cost for two factions and rules to play. Since I always have to buy two armies if I really want to play a game (my friends and brother like playing wargames but are not hobbyists and don't buy armies) I always look at that price as the price that matters. For 2 starter armies of dropzone commander (I am absolutely in love with both the post human faction and the united colonies of man factions) and the rulebook, I am looking at a little over 200 bucks, which is not bad at all. That is from my retailer and is for the 2 starter armies (without the foam case that they sell in the premium) and 23 bucks for the rules. Yes, it's 10mm, but again, so is flames of war, which costs more for models that really are not that great. Is the price point great? No. Can I live with it? Yes. I always say you have to compare everything with the industry leaders… GW. For 2 starter armies of 40k plus rules for example it is quite substantial…. too substantial. For two factions in dust warfare and rules it is much less. But for two armies and rules for dropzone commander it is much less as well. Is there as much of a bargain as I feel you get with the dust warfare line… maybe not, I will have to have the rules in my hand to know how substantial the starter armies are compared to what a tournament sized game would be and compare it then. But if the starter armies are even close to what tournament sized armies would be, then I think the pricing is just fine and would probably be in line with what two tournament sized armies for dust would cost you. We will have to see.

The game could be crap, with crap rules… or it could be great. It certainly sounds really really cool with interupting the opponents activation with sending out fighters to attack his dropships, etc. but no one knows at this point. I for one will continue to support Dust warfare for as long as FFG does and hope after the SSU that they get out an alien faction to bring the factions to 4. But I will also buy at least a starter army for the United colonies of mankind and the Post human republic and the rulebook for dropzone commander as well, based on the models alone. My point is, without the timely release of the SSU, dropzone commander WILL release at the end of July and will steal some thunder and if the game ends up being really really good, it could seriously impact people that have yet to take the plunge into dust, especially since I show up to the store with two full on armies of dust and am always willing to lend out one of them just so I can get a game in. By the time my LGS really heard of Dust and I convinced the owner to stock it, it was sold out and it is hard to convince someone to play a game that they can't buy the rulebook, and there is only 2 armies and a couple boxes for each of those on the shelf because the distributor doesn't have anymore (which is great that they sold out don't get me wrong but is not great for people who can't buy into it as there is no stock). Then there is this Zverograd box with 2 SSU models in it but they can't get the rest, and even online can only get a few other units, not enough for a real army, and no rules for warfare. To be honest, absolutely no one that I know cares at all in any way about tactics, boardgames, or paper grids.

#9 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

DZC is going to be my "other game" besides Dust.  Prices are extremely comparable and not bad for what you get.  Remember that a good chunk of those 10mm scaled models are 50-100mm in actual size.  And Dystopian Wars sculpts don't hold a candle to Hawk sculpts.

#10 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

Unfortuately, what I've heard from the local store, where some of the employees are working with FFG on the Game of Thrones playtests and tournaments, FFG is run like a Dilbert corporation: Wringing maximum productivity out of the fewest possible employees, planning all releases that they can for marketing schedules (and logic, if that's the word for it), which means they absolutely 'MUST' have major GenCon releases for all their big lines…I don't know exactly why. But, yes, 40K will steal a march on them if they delay until GenCon, and interest in the SSU line will wane, without Warfare rules for it.

Blame the corporate mentality.

#11 DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

Final playtesting and last edit were done about 3 or so weeks ago. This should put it at a very late June to mid July shipping date as long as there arent any issues.

#12 Craig in NH

Craig in NH

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:06 AM

We're hoping for late June here, but our local store owner has stopped even speculating when FFG releases are coming out. I think that puts Dust: Warfare in dangerous territory, as many here have said. And now, with GW announcing that 6th Edition will be landing at the end of June . . . (think that has anything to do with Dust: Warfare's popularity? Have they ever done a teaser video before?) . . . I think the momentum of the game is in danger. I'm hoping not, since a) I like this game MUCH better than any iteration of 40K from the last 15 years and b) I just spent so darned much money!

Regarding Dropzone: Commander . . . I'd have to respectfully disagree with the opinions on price for that game vs Dystopian wars, and the quality of the Dystopian Wars models. Now, as something of a disclaimer, I've done work for Spartan, and continue to do so, but the one system I'm not personally invested in is Dystopian Wars. Just looking at the pricing, you get 2 D:C tanks (nice, although the United Colonies of Mankind aesthetic is not to my taste), VERY detailed sculpts with articulated weapons etc, for $15.50. For Dystopian Wars you get 6 medium tanks (roughly the same size) for $12. Now, admittedly, the DW are single pieces for the most part, and just a TAD smaller than the D:Z tanks . . . but in the end, if you want to play the game at what they're suggesting will be the 'sweet spot' on their website . . . you're looking at a $300 army. Not outrageous in the SLIGHTEST for an army scale game, so please don't think I'm hitting at them on the over-all prices. But that's another big hit to the wallet, and very much puts D:C in the "full army" scale game systems with price tags up in the Dust/WH-H/GW range, rather than the skirmish level games like Malifaux, Infinity, or any of the Spartan games, where your model count will be between 8-20, for the most part, rather than the bigger forces being referenced on the Hawk Wargames forum.

Now, that being said, one of our local nutters has already pre-ordered starter armies for all 4 factions and 2 rulebooks, and will be pimping it out to our group when it arrives (not expected until early August at the soonest), and I'll definitely check it out, and if I like it, I'll probably not be able to deny the urge to dive in with the rest of the crew. If that happens . . . between that game and 40K, I hope FFG has something up its sleeve to boost momentum again versus the two new challengers . . . and I'm afraid releasing a book we were expecting much earlier won't be the game changer they'll need . . .

Sorry for the wall of text . . .

~Craig

#13 yakmandoo

yakmandoo

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:00 AM

I think that FFG is running out of time in catching a really important moment on these DW SSU rules.  That,s not to be doom and gloom on the future of DW cause the rules are awesome, but if they can get this third faction up prior to 40k 6th edition they'll really have momentum.  They feel as if they are stalling out in the middle of a huge opportunity.  6th ed (if Fantasty is an indication) will see alot of naysayers dropping out temporarily from the game.  Most guys that I know that play aren't looking for a DZC type game…we like commanding army men.

They need these rules right now to really blunt 6th edition and catch the reactive moment that the new edition will bring.  Please hurry FFG, get the pdf out quickly.  Its just good business strategy.  (or at least tell us when its coming…that kind of customer relationship is what we're hoping for from you.)

#14 mariettabrit

mariettabrit

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:53 AM

I don't see 40K being a threat at all… maybe if someone is new to both games and is looking to play whichever is released first but I don't see that as being a large audience. If you already play 40K you're going to get the new rules anyway… if you don't play 40K now and have been waiting for the SSU rules (so I would assume you already play DUST) then I don't see that changing… most people I know that are waiting for the rules have already been buying the SSU models, so they're invested… just want to get them on the table :)

#15 MiniJunkie

MiniJunkie

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

mariettabrit said:

I don't see 40K being a threat at all… maybe if someone is new to both games and is looking to play whichever is released first but I don't see that as being a large audience. If you already play 40K you're going to get the new rules anyway… if you don't play 40K now and have been waiting for the SSU rules (so I would assume you already play DUST) then I don't see that changing… most people I know that are waiting for the rules have already been buying the SSU models, so they're invested… just want to get them on the table :)

That would be nice but I disagree. For example, if my gaming group has 5th Ed fatigue, I can try to get them as sucked in as possible to DW prior to 6th. Then they may stick with it (even if they dip into 6th). If I can't get them into DW prior to 6th, it will be harder to even get them to try it out.

Having SSU available as a playable faction helps with getting them hooked. They should try to release even just the UNIT CARDS online!

#16 yakmandoo

yakmandoo

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:35 AM

mariettabrit said:

i totally hear you, but I definitely see this great moment for FFG to capitalize on 40k fatigue and 6th edition fall off.  Yes, most of us with 5th ed fatigue will buy 6th edition ( i know as much as I complain, I still have 2000+ points of SM and GK in the garage)  but many unless the rules are just dynamite, ebay will be full of 6th edition haters.

I say that only to point out the FFG moment.  They launched at Adepticon at the end of the 5th edition of 40k.  I don't think you can argue with the tactical brilliance or dumb luck of that.  If FFG really wants to capitalize on this rare (once in many years) opportunity, they need to launch SSU for DW and announce the fourth faction.  I just think the market is in this perfect moment.  And the rules…dear God I love the DW rules in my old age.  I don't want to memorize what every f*!%ing number means.  I want to paint, play and gather my buddies cause there's so little time in my life.

This is the moment for FFG, and they haven't lost it yet, but we are really close to watching them miss a cool, cool opportunity with a great new game.

Will DW live?  I believe so.  Will it thrive?  Not if they miss this moment…just too many cool things for a young company to take advantage of…

Sorry for the wall of text.

;

#17 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:41 AM

My experience has been just the opposite. Every new edition of 40K that gets released, we get a group of disgruntled with the new rules and having their beloved armies nerfed or worse, made obsolete and illegal to play. 

I for one welcome the next codec each year with relish, as we get 8-15 new players come in to check out WM/Hordes, and usually 3-4 of them stick around and keep playing. I'm hoping the same will happen for DW. 

Locally, I'm far more afraid of the new WM expansion book which adds Collossals, giant Warjacks on Steroids. 4 of our local players brought some back from Lock & Load, and one of my DW demos Saturday was interrupted constantly by questions about Collossals. It was the worst Demo I've ever had, of any game, and took far longer (almost 2 hours) than a 100 point Zero-Hero game ever should. 

#18 yakmandoo

yakmandoo

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

That sucks…Better luck with the next one.  It wil be interesting with WM as the new book seems to have expanded the Unloaded rules.  I own 3 WM models and the MK2 book, but just can't get into the fluff.  If WM's Unloaded ruleset is the answer to the larger game problem (ala Apocalypse) then Colosslas will have some real legs.

The wargaming market is hugely diverse right now and PP has played it masterfully IMHO…here's hoping FFG can do the same.  Bring on the SSU!

#19 mariettabrit

mariettabrit

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

Yeah now don't get me wrong, I think it's totally stupid on FFG's part to have released DW and awesome new SSU models… but no DW-SSU rules… nobody I know at my store plays tactics any more, DW only. /shrug

#20 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

I think what most people forget (or never knew), the model release schedule is dictated by Dust Studios, not FFG. Perhaps the SSU were ahead of schedule. Either way, DW was supposed to be out last November/December. Here's hoping its delay was far longer than the Zverograd book will be. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS