Temple of Lies

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:37 AM

Anyone run the adventure in the back of the book?

If so what worked/didn't work. Any hints on how to improve it (if it needs improving) or advice?

Thanks

#2 Cynicus

Cynicus

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:17 AM

Personally, I had to tone down some of the fights, but I only had three PCs running around.

The adventure has a lot of opportunities for tailoring it to the PCs and their specific backgrounds, I was able to give each of my players a personal goal.

#3 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:19 AM

I have two players so this is an issue i've had to face in all these games. Unfortunately FFG don't seem to understand how to advise players on balance. 2 non astartes characters as well.

#4 Cynicus

Cynicus

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

I had three non-astartes and the fight right after the prophet reveals his treachery and flees nearly did them in. I had to skimp on the number of guards, and remove the phase assassin altogether.

On the other hand, the nurgly sniper type guy killed the boss in two shots: opened combat with one, won initative, shot him in the face again.

#5 Vamp The Unholy

Vamp The Unholy

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

I'm currently running it (had to stop in the middle due to time constraints), and I'm thinking about increasing the difficulty of some of the fights (though I am wary of Copax). Admittedly, the only real combat we've done is the Cherubs (optional encounter), but it didn't seem to really concern the characters. The group consists of two astartes and two humans. One of the astartes (A Forsaken) essentially defeated the horde single-handedly, while the other was goofing off. The humans in my group just stood back and let the astartes ravage the horde.

I'd say the adventure is good, but maybe not use it as your first compact, but your second one. That way the players can get used to things and upgrade themselves for the combat (especially down the tower and Copax) with them being humans and all.

#6 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

Is there a decent first adventure? I don't want to use Broken Chains, it doesn't interest me at all.

#7 Vamp The Unholy

Vamp The Unholy

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

If you don't want to use Broken Chains, I'd recommend creating a short mini-adventure of your own design to bring the heretics together and teach them the basic rules of the different systems.

You could also try Rivals for Glory, if it fits what you want to do. The adventure itself is nicely separated into segments that each focus on a different set of skills, though the optional scenes provide a bit more cohesiveness. You could break away from the adventure itself a little bit and have the players hired by the merchant in the beginning to find the Tyrant's Cord, instead of him just selling it's location. That brings them together, teaches them the different systems, and you could use the prophecy from the Torestus in False Prophets (Temple of Lies) to go along with the Cord (the Torestus speaking of people recognizing Tor because of the Tyrant's Cord or some such).

#8 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:19 AM

I'm not sure that adventure is any less of a challenge.

It seems to me that two players isn't really enough. These games seem to be oriented for a greater number of players with a greater breadth of skills. Uniquely BC has mixed parties and the written adventures presuppose that players will have mixed groups, so that the combats can be structured against the marine characters. Looking at the stats and, particularly, the damage output of npcs in this adventure (Copax's powers will shred a human pc in about two hits!), I'm not sure what to do. Even the Inevitable Guards have enough Penetration on their guns to go straight through the armour of the heretics.

#9 Vamp The Unholy

Vamp The Unholy

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:24 AM

Perhaps you could add a Space Marine NPC ally or grant him as a free minion to their party? You might just be able to grant both of them a free Minion of Chaos talent and that may solve the problem. I know some would be opposed to this, but as long as you're careful not to overshadow your players, it could be just enough to keep them alive.

#10 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:17 AM

Vamp The Unholy said:

Perhaps you could add a Space Marine NPC ally or grant him as a free minion to their party? You might just be able to grant both of them a free Minion of Chaos talent and that may solve the problem. I know some would be opposed to this, but as long as you're careful not to overshadow your players, it could be just enough to keep them alive.

Yes, I'm one such person. I just don't like doing things like this at all.

#11 Vamp The Unholy

Vamp The Unholy

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

I would advise then that you follow Cynicus' example and just tailor the challenges for your group then. Lower number of guards, maybe remove the assassin, don't use Copax's Bolt of Change, etc. That would ensure your player's would still get to experience the adventure as it was meant to without dying horribly.

#12 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:55 AM

Expanding the adventure:

Carrion Corpse and Theon seem like a wasted opportunity. He seems to have secrets and the adventure hints he's more than he appears (certainly more than the adventure provides). So, to spice up the adventure:

Theon receives his rejuv treatments from a disparate and minor (it will have to be since I only have 2 players and an Archon with all his attendant Kabalites and retinue would slaughter them in a second). group of Kabalites (perhaps working for a local off-stage Archon or Commorrite). In return the Kabalites take their pick of local folk. They act cautiously more behind the scenes than a straightforward raid traditional to the Dark Eldar. Theon is their puppet and for now both parties have been content: it has been low key enough not to attrct the Temple's attention (would they care?) and being a place of the Warp it is unlikely (I'm guessing) they would want to approach it.

#13 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

I decided to change things up.

Theon (or is it Theron, both spellings are used) is the guy at Carrion Corpse who is hinted at having more of a backstory than seems to have made it thorugh into the final draft. He has used rejuv treatments to make him younger than he is and doesn't like people. So i decided that the source of those treatments were some Dark Eldar. A minor Kabal, the sort of thing that exists in the GM Screen adventure (in fact it will be the same kabal). In return for handing over visitors/townsfolk to these 'vampires', they give him rejuv treatments.

The pc's discover a pair of kabalites leaning on him as it seems he wasn't living up to his end of the deal. They despatch the kabalites (with some ease actually, thanks to poor dice rolls and the fact that the chainsword tears them up. They were fast on the initiative, but not fast enough) and off the cuff i decided to reward the pc's with a magic spell (it was either that or they get Theon's hotel facility, and they already got a Splinter Rifle off one of the Kabalites). The purpose of this is to allow them a get-out if the final battle in the cathedral goes awry. The Temple Psyker (Cursed Oracle stats) is pretty tough himself. Using this spell will release the demon inside him (turns out he was a daemonhost) who will grant the pc's a single boon as a reward. With respect to Copax the Word Bearers will help the pc's out and they will fight him together.

However I wonder if there's a way for Theon's little deal with the dark eldar, his spell and the storyline in the Temple to come together. I also plan to have the town destroyed in the meantime: the rest of the Kabalites will raid the town seeking revenge (or sport, if there's a difference) and, while the pc's are in the temple. If need be the Word Bearers will drive them off on their way to the Temple. The DE aren't meant to be the focus here.

Also Splinter Rifles don't seem difficult for 'foreigners' to use, however I can see the DE loading their wargear with traps to prevent outsiders from using them (assuming they can). Do I let the players have a limited use (no way can they resupply a splinter rifle easily) Splinter Rifle? What skill/training do they require?

#14 Asoral

Asoral

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:06 AM

I have been running a group of BC for some time now and the group consists mostly of 2 humans and then a mixed group of humans and marines. Mostly we've had only the two humans playing but lately we have had a influx of new players into the group.

The way we started their story was that their first mission was to prepare a hive world for the coming of the Tyrant Star and a chaos raid. At this point they really didn't know anything about chaos except the very basics. Everything worked quite fine, they organized some underhive gangs, did a daemon summoning ritual which failed and resulted in a greater daemon being summoned and so on.

Then I ran the Temple of Lies for them. All the combat encounters were really hard, even though we had a new player playing a heretek for the adventure. I found it interesting that even though most enemies had optional "do this and that to make these enemies challenge to marines", I still had to nerf their baseline stats down so that a normal mook wouldnt absolutely destroy the warband. But then again, I like running my own adventures or heavily changing the made ones.

I think the best thing to do in a situation of too few players for BC is to ask the players what kind of adventures they want to go on. Especially a one where they gather soldiers and resources for their to-be warband is a lot easier to do than one where they have to fight a lot.

#15 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

signoftheserpent said:

Also Splinter Rifles don't seem difficult for 'foreigners' to use, however I can see the DE loading their wargear with traps to prevent outsiders from using them (assuming they can). Do I let the players have a limited use (no way can they resupply a splinter rifle easily) Splinter Rifle? What skill/training do they require?

Hi there!

While inserting traps is a VERY good idea, it is too late if the PC already used the weapon once. Otherwise….have you seen the movie "Blade"? The sword has a pretty finde safe-guards. As pressure is applied to the handle…a mechanismen activates. You have about 5 sec to deactivate it. Otherwise, sharp blades will suddenly spring out and cut off your fingers. Simply spiking/cutting the hand with a poison needle/blade should do the trick as well. Must be mono, so. It needs to penetrate heavy gloves.

Otherwise, I would say that Splinter Rifles are "Exotic Weapon (Splinter)" and ammo will be hard to come buy (but not impossible).

Razing the settlement is an EXCELLENT idea! Perhaps the PC want to raise mob of local other villagers to esablish themselves as the new local overlords?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS