D6G is it important?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 TBaileySr

TBaileySr

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

Recently Craig from D6G down played (out of modesty I believe) the importance of D6G on the sudden popularity of this game we now enjoy. I think their input was a big factor. So lets try and experiment.

If D6G did indeed influence your decision to try/buy this game leave a post below. Maybe even say thank you.

Thanks D6G!

#2 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

I had already fully bought into the game before ever hearing it, but when people ask me about the game, I tell them to listen to the podcast at D6G. The part that gets everyone's attention is the part where it is described as the best ruleset ever or however it was phrased and that comment makes people want to try the game immediately and the two things I hear commented on the most about the podcast are that comment and questions on the "gumby" models (which I show them a model and let them decide on that). I think it has had an influence, but I have no numbers on how many people follow the podcast, etc. Nobody wants to say "The game is popular all because of me. Paulo Parente owes me a box of cookies!" so there is obviously some modesty there, and while I am sure there are people such as myself who had already bought a bunch of stuff before hearing the reviews, I'm sure there are many others who were "pushed over the top" to buy after hearing the review. I know of a couple people at least that have told me so that do not frequent these forums. 

The one way that it did influence me though is that, after hearing the podcast, I refer to my punisher as "the turtle".

#3 Azrell

Azrell

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

For me i had friends that already played tactics, and i played a demo at adepticon. 

#4 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

I think probably D6G did a good job of spreading the word (even with Romeo's negative input), though I hadn't heard of them beforehand (not a podcsast guy) I still did listen.  

We were Tactics players from the beginning, buying it at 2010 Gencon, so we were very eager for Warfare all the way back when AEG had only planned on doing a conversion PDF to take Tactics to the full tabletop.

#5 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

blkdymnd said:

I think probably D6G did a good job of spreading the word (even with Romeo's negative input), though I hadn't heard of them beforehand (not a podcsast guy) I still did listen.  

We were Tactics players from the beginning, buying it at 2010 Gencon, so we were very eager for Warfare all the way back when AEG had only planned on doing a conversion PDF to take Tactics to the full tabletop.

My thoughts and experiences exactly. I will add that I will share the podcast with folks sitting on the fence. 

#6 MiniJunkie

MiniJunkie

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

I never listen to podcasts.

I'd heard a bit about Dust Warfare but wasn't really planning to "get into it".

Then I listened to the D6G podcast about it, to learn more.

THEN I spent ~ $450.00 on Dust miniatures and rules etc.

That podcast sold me on getting into this game. I'm already painting it up, first game will be tomorrow.

#7 Kommissar Zeitsev

Kommissar Zeitsev

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

I have zero interest in podcasts and have never listened to any of them.  

I have also bought many thousands of dollars of gaming related materials in the two plus decades I have been wargaming.

I judge games based upon my own appraisal of them.

#8 rwwingate

rwwingate

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

D6 who?  Seriously no.  I have attempted to listen to them a few times while painting or other things and I just can't get into them.  I've been into Dust Tactics since it's release and have been waiting on DW since the first solid rumors surfaced.

#9 the smeer

the smeer

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

My first introduction to Dust Warfare was through BOLS, and it was the look and feel of the models, especially the Axis walker that first grab my attention.

But it was a combination of things that pushed over the line.

The look and atmosphere of the model range was a big factor, but definetly also the promise (and delivery) of a clean, elegant and tacticly deep ruleset.

This game makes me actually want to play again, a feeling that was long missing with 40K, because even though i still love that setting, fluff and miniatures i haven't played a game (outside Necromunda) of it in years and i don't ever realisticly see myself picking it up again.

(I'll will be continuing buying the codexesses and novels though, even got all the White dwarfs since 1994).

Another big thing was the overall good reception of the game, and a constructive and positive community on the blogs

Also the pricepoint of the game is good, so when i was able to buy a original core set and a revised set i dove in.

Now i have for a good price a solid base for 2 armies so now i can try to corrupt my friends to the cause. They just better like playing Allies though

#10 Todosi

Todosi

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

The D6G guys definitely brought this to the forefront of my attention.  My business partner has known of Paolo Parente for quite a while and when I mentioned it to him, well….we now each own at least one of everything for our faction.

Damn Russ and his Jedi mind tricks!  But honestly it was Craig's enthusiasm that pushed me over the edge.  He tends to be a bit more measured in his excitement for new games.  So his full support behind the game really got me interested.  I think their review was very well done and comprehensive.

#11 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

I should add this…

I've been the guest host of 2 WM/Hordes podcasts (Chain Attack) and my daughter has been a guest host for them once. I've only listened to one of those 3, and the only other podcast I've listened to was the d6g one with Mack Martin. What convinced me to do so was the respect for how Craig represented himself on these forums - Intelligent, Polite, Insightful, and Enthusiastic - in short, a real class act. 

#12 Cannor

Cannor

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

I've listened to the D6G on and off for about two years. The "Dust episode" was a great look at the game (although my friend introduced me to Warfare before I heard it).

#13 crak

crak

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

I'm a FoW player and was trying to resist this game because I need another reason to buy miniatures like a hole in the head.  Craig's "Did you ever notice?" where he talked about Russ breaking his will broke my will too.

#14 Wanted:Cortez

Wanted:Cortez

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Yes D6G got me interested in DUST! I never miss an episode!!

#15 Marximus

Marximus

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:42 AM

Wanted:Cortez said:

Yes D6G got me interested in DUST! I never miss an episode!!

Ditto.  It's amazing how much money that "free" podcast has cost me.  I blame Russ' jedi mind tricks, "this is the game you are looking for…" 

#16 Talarius

Talarius

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:12 AM

As a fan of both AT-43 and Starship Troopers I was hopeful when Dust Warfare was announced and that Andy Chambers would be writing the core rule book (I had immediate suspicions that Reactions would be involved). I did not own or buy any Dust Tactics products though; I was waiting to see the Warfare rules first and whether they'd be any good response once they came out. 

The D6G episode did clinch it for me; especially Craig's enthusiastic response. I now own two 300-350 point forces as a result. It's not the first time the D6G has cost me money, lol.  I've gotten four games played so far and have enjoyed them quite a bit. I was a little worried about the power of Hammers w/Rhino, but as they completely whiffed for me last night, my confidence is growing that the balance is in fact there. 

Thanks D6G!

#17 Panzerfaust101

Panzerfaust101

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

Was already into DUST prior to the D6G, but im happy for the coverage. Its the only gaming podcast i listen to regularly, and if you havnt listened before i suggest you check it out!

#18 Craig in NH

Craig in NH

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

Well, thanks a bunch guys! Especially those of you who have never listened, never intend to listen, and don't care at all! Thanks to YOU guys especially for sounding off on a thread about podcasts! Seriously, we're an acquired taste in many cases, and we've never been offended by folks who don't take to it. Thanks for giving it a chance, those of you who did!

Seriously, though, full credit goes to Mack, Andy, Paolo, and the whole FFG team on this one. We only push games we like, and those games wouldn't go past our pushing them if they weren't great. This really is a great game, supported by a great company, with great fluff, great models, and a relatively inexpensive price tag, all things considered. Paolo doesn't owe us anything, nor does anyone else. We do this because we like games, especially really good games, and we like gamers, and we've been lucky enough over the years through hard work and a little luck to find ourselves in a position to talk to the movers and the shakers in the industry. Please don't think we ever mistake that with feeling that WE are movers and shakers. We're just gamers with some recording equipment and a show that some people found amusing and, well, Not Too Horrible

So thanks, guys, for trying to give us some credit. But on this one I agree with the folks who don't know who the heck we are and never even heard of podcasts . . . . this is an AWESOME game!

But . . thanks all the same

~Craig

Oh, and classy . . . not sure . . . but thanks for that too!

#19 Ddogwood

Ddogwood

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Well, I'm an avid D6G listener, and the show was the singular factor in convincing me to pick up the Dust Tactics Revised Core Set, the Warfare rulebook in hardcover and PDF formats, and a couple of command squads. My current lifestyle doesn't give me enough time to pay many wargames, but Craig & Russ managed to talk me out of my money anyway. They are also the primary reason that I own the D&D Lords of Waterdeep game. 

#20 Galadhir

Galadhir

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

First time listened to D6 gen when I allready bought a copy of a book and was waiting for it to be delivered . I had dust tactics even before warfare was announced.

It worked other way around for me I found d6 gen when I was watching warfare.

I liked how detailed the review was and listened to it with pleasure.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS