Leveled treasure?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 jwdenzel

jwdenzel

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

I know we'll be getting the rules soon, but does anybody want to speculate whether or not 2E will include leveled treasure cards like 1E did? (Copper / silver / Gold)

There are two ways they could do it that I can think of:

1) Just like the vanilla 1E game, each dungeon map could specify the type of treasure available to be found. 

or

2) Just like the advanced campaign in 1E, the treasure level could correspond to campaign level.  So in 2E, the type of treasure card you get corresponds to what stage in the story you're at.

Also… Relics?   I reeeeally hope so.

#2 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

We already know there will be relics.  The Dawnblade is a treasure received as a reward in one of the quests of the same name.

However, regarding other treasures: that seems to be the preview they skipped!

#3 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Well, I heard somebody say there were no chests in 2e (don't know how official that is, mind you.)  It's entirely possible that relics are the only items heroes find "in the field" and the rest are just bought in town after the heroes save up enough cash.  More powerful weapons being more expensive, natch.

It's also possible that all the non-relic weapons are roughly the same in terms of power and the heroes improve their combat potential primarily through their class deck and the abilities it provides.  There do seem to be a fair number of skills that say "make an attack with X bonus applied."

I do hope there's some mechanic for looting treasure in the field, however, if treasure is "leveled" like it was in 1e, I sincerely hope the tier system is more granular than just "copper/silver/gold."  With weapons and armor falling into "crap, moderate and god-powerful" the power curve was a bit wonky in the old system.  If there were more tiers the power levels could be more evenly distributed.

We know the campaign is divided into Act I and Act II, so perhaps there are "Act I" gear cards and "Act II" gear cards.  That would be going in the wrong direction for my hopes, though.  There also hasn't been any obvious sign of the weapons they've shown us being divided like that.

#4 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

Steve-O said:

Well, I heard somebody say there were no chests in 2e (don't know how official that is, mind you.)  It's entirely possible that relics are the only items heroes find "in the field" and the rest are just bought in town after the heroes save up enough cash.  More powerful weapons being more expensive, natch.

It's also possible that all the non-relic weapons are roughly the same in terms of power and the heroes improve their combat potential primarily through their class deck and the abilities it provides.  There do seem to be a fair number of skills that say "make an attack with X bonus applied."

I do hope there's some mechanic for looting treasure in the field, however, if treasure is "leveled" like it was in 1e, I sincerely hope the tier system is more granular than just "copper/silver/gold."  With weapons and armor falling into "crap, moderate and god-powerful" the power curve was a bit wonky in the old system.  If there were more tiers the power levels could be more evenly distributed.

We know the campaign is divided into Act I and Act II, so perhaps there are "Act I" gear cards and "Act II" gear cards.  That would be going in the wrong direction for my hopes, though.  There also hasn't been any obvious sign of the weapons they've shown us being divided like that.

Not in the official previews, but someone "found" pictures that indicated the shop items are divided into Act I and Act II.

#5 Sausageman

Sausageman

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:58 AM

Steve-O said:

Well, I heard somebody say there were no chests in 2e (don't know how official that is, mind you.)

I really hope this isn't the case.  Who DIDN'T like opening a treasure chest previously?  Plus, the mimic trap was hilarious (but sadly not as brutally powerful as the one on Dark Souls…).

#6 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:15 AM

Sausageman said:

Steve-O said:

Well, I heard somebody say there were no chests in 2e (don't know how official that is, mind you.)

I really hope this isn't the case.  Who DIDN'T like opening a treasure chest previously?  Plus, the mimic trap was hilarious (but sadly not as brutally powerful as the one on Dark Souls…).

EXACTLY!!! What's a dungeon crawl without being able to find some loot!? :)

#7 Coldmoonrising

Coldmoonrising

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:04 AM

Well that was an interesting reply here, lol. Guess we can allude to there being chests, lol.

#8 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

Coldmoonrising said:

Well that was an interesting reply here, lol. Guess we can allude to there being chests, lol.

Don't take my reply to be anything official! My username was formerly "SoylentGreen" but I registered a Con (Game Challenge) I help run in Fargo.  So my user just looks different now. :P My color is simply because I help run a con… nothing more!

I am waiting to see just as much as the rest of you if there will be chests!

#9 Sausageman

Sausageman

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:22 AM

Game Challenge said:

Coldmoonrising said:

Don't take my reply to be anything official! My username was formerly "SoylentGreen" but I registered a Con (Game Challenge) I help run in Fargo.  So my user just looks different now. :P My color is simply because I help run a con… nothing more!

I am waiting to see just as much as the rest of you if there will be chests!

Watch him!

#10 Coldmoonrising

Coldmoonrising

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:03 AM

wait… what…??? lol

#11 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

Sausageman said:

Steve-O said:

From what we know, chests have been replaced with "search tokens", though they seem mechanically pretty much the same.  It's only thematically that there's a difference.

#12 jwdenzel

jwdenzel

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

Rules are posted. Looks like the answer is:  we have standard class items + Act 1 shop items + Act 2 shop items + relics.

In the dungeon encounters, you can find search tokens, which allow you to draw search cards.  These search cards can be items you keep only for the duration of the quest (like potions) or (presumably?) tell you to draw a shop item card.

I love that the overlord can have relics, and that the relic works differently depending on if the heroes or overlord have it.

#13 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

jwdenzel said:

I love that the overlord can have relics, and that the relic works differently depending on if the heroes or overlord have it.

I'm kind of annoyed by that, actually.  I'm hoping the differences between the "hero side" and the "overlord side" will be limited to excluding mechanical terms that one side or other can't apply.  Why would an item behave differently in a bad guy's hands than a good guy's?  I mean, I can understand if the relic somehow "draws on the power of the wielder's soul" or something, but how many times can you really pull that stunt before it gets old?

(Note: "annoyed" does not mean I'll refuse to buy the game.  It'll just be something I make a point of mocking at a the game table =P)

#14 Antistone

Antistone

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

I could easily imagine a relic those thematic effect is the same but whose game mechanical representation is different. Like, maybe an energy source that gives the heroes extra fatigue or lets the overlord draw extra cards. Or a reanimation item that revives knocked out heroes or spawns additional monsters.

#15 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

Antistone makes a good point.  And besides, we don't necessarily know that the Relics on one card are the same, just that the Hero relic and the Overlord relic are mutually exclusive when making appearances in the campaign.  Thus, in a particular scenario, one side could, by winning, both find a relic of their own and prevent the opposition from securing their relic.

#16 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

Walk said:

Antistone makes a good point.  And besides, we don't necessarily know that the Relics on one card are the same, just that the Hero relic and the Overlord relic are mutually exclusive when making appearances in the campaign.  Thus, in a particular scenario, one side could, by winning, both find a relic of their own and prevent the opposition from securing their relic.

We do, actually.  One is called the Dawnblade, which allows you to target two adjacent monsters with the same melee attack (on a surge), and the evil counterpart is called the Duskblade, which give all adjacent heroes -1 Speed and gives Pierce 5 on a surge.

Another is the Staff of Light, which gives AoE healing, and the Staff of Shadows, which allows the OL to reroll dice.

#17 Scy800

Scy800

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

Well at least the OL and hero version of the relics have different names, which is why I don't really mind the different effects.

#18 jwdenzel

jwdenzel

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:52 AM

Steve-O said:

I'm hoping the differences between the "hero side" and the "overlord side" will be limited to excluding mechanical terms that one side or other can't apply.  Why would an item behave differently in a bad guy's hands than a good guy's?  I mean, I can understand if the relic somehow "draws on the power of the wielder's soul" or something, but how many times can you really pull that stunt before it gets old?

You mean something like a magic ring that makes only the Heroes invisible while it makes the Overlord into an unstoppable force?  Yeah, I've never heard of artifacts behaving that way. 

(I get your point though!) 

#19 Antistone

Antistone

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Bleached Lizard said:

which give all adjacent heroes -1 Speed

Wait, seriously?  So heroes who begin their move action adjacent have their movement hindered, but heroes can walk past without penalty as long as they started at least 2 spaces away?

#20 skunkstrype

skunkstrype

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

It could be that the heroes' version represents the relic's original form, while the overlord's version represents the same relic after it has been corrupted by the overlord.

For example; if the heroes fail to recover the legendary Staff of Light, the overlord's minions bring it to their dark master who twists its powers, transforming it into the foul Staff of Shadows.

Indeed, one of the quests is called The Ritual of Shadows, perhaps the heroes are attempting to prevent this from happening.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS