Jump to content



Photo

So, what's the average turnaround for a preview?


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Anarchosyn

Anarchosyn

    Member

  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

 Following an announcement, I mean.

I'm sure we're all starved for more, though in some respects I can appreciate FFG's reluctance to say more (especially since it's still technically In Development according to the Upcoming page). Invariably, once all the changes are laid bare, FFG could be opening their doors to a very hostile reception, though I personally welcome any and all changes they wish to make (I'm not a purist). 

Anyhoo, to make this pathetic cry for more information more socially useful, what would *you* like to see covered first when the previews start rolling out?

Myself? Factions and how they fit into the overall dynamic of the game would be near the top of the list. However, I'm also curious about rule changes/additions with emphasis on changes to the in-game economy and dice usage. Non-card components are another issue I'm definitely curious about, as Netrunner tended to demand a lot that wasn't included in the box.  

Though a relatively small thing, and inherently tied to Factions in some fashion, I'm curious about the identity card and how faction mixing will play out thematically. My guess is that it'll be a way to specify the dominant factional alignment, gaining perks or related modifiers based on that choice, and I expect it to tie into the "identities" we've already been made aware of (namely Noise Reilly, Gabriel Santiago and Kate McCaffrey on the Runner side). However, counter arguments are always welcome. :)

 

 



#2 Rashley

Rashley

    Member

  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

Had this been a completely new game, it would be nice to know what 'type' it fell into.  That way we would know if it was the style of game we like.  However, this is a new beginning for an old game that had a small but enthusiastic following.  You can see from these forums that peoples interest has been renewed and are bringing out their old decks to remind themselves and teach others.  Therefore it seems to me that the best thing FFG can do is let us know how many and what changes will be made in the rules.  Personally I hope they are only 'cosmetic' changes like artwork and graphics to fit the new 'Android' setting.  That is what I am eagerly waiting for.  If the game is very similar, I can drop my old decks and expand with the new.  If they completely change it, my old decks will stay as I liked the old game.  Wether I also go with the new will depend on what they change.  Cheers!



#3 Garoath

Garoath

    Member

  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

It has been over a month since the announcement showed up here at the FFG website. I know its bit early to expect too much, but I would love to see another card preview or two. Anything new would be nice. I am practically salivating in anticipation.

 



#4 Anarchosyn

Anarchosyn

    Member

  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

Rashley said:

 Personally I hope they are only 'cosmetic' changes like artwork and graphics to fit the new 'Android' setting. 

 

Well, for better or worse, it has been confirmed that the changes run deeper. Many of the cards that have been previewed existed in the original game, and from a cursory analysis, it appears bit values have been changed, certain icebreakers have been removed (noisy) and other modifications likewise have been pointed out (at least one type of Ice has been removed). There is speculation Trace/Link has been pulled from the core release, but that's merely speculation based on a lack of seeing reference anywhere (I don't believe any cards have been shown that used to show these characteristics but now lack them, which is how the ice/icebreaker changes were noticed). 



#5 Rashley

Rashley

    Member

  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

The addition of Factions/Identities could be a good thing if it adds some 'theme' deck building, but doesn't mess too much with 'balence'.  Surely they wont remove one of the ICE types?  The 3 old ones of Sentries, Code Gates and Walls, felt about right.  Just enough for 'bluff'' and doubt, but not too many for the Runner to cover eventually.  If they had added more, they would need to increase the chances for the Runner to 'search the deck', or bring in Programs that perhaps broke more than one type.  At a good cost in Bits of course!

I would hate to see Tracing/Links gone!  This was one of the best 'bluffing' aspect in respect to using up Bits.  It was also very 'thematic' in the 'hacking' context.  Getting/removing the dangerous 'Tags' was one of the most exciting parts as it allowed a lot more 'damage' to be inflicted on the naughty Runner.  There must be some risk!  I see that some damage can still be done, but is it the same 3 types as before?

Too many unknowns at the moment, so it will be the normal frustratingly long wait before we know.  I shall still keep and play my old decks until I am certain this will be a good replacement.  Cheers!



#6 Penfold

Penfold

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

 Wall has been replaced with barrier. By all appearances it is a completely cosmetic change.



#7 Zelrig

Zelrig

    Member

  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:39 AM

Ok, it's been over a month since the initial annoucement. I've been checking the website daily.

They should build on this momentum while everyone's aware, even if it's not coming for a couple months.

 

 

 

 



#8 Bootylactin

Bootylactin

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

This event was temporarily in the Gen Con event database. A friend who's attending happened to spot this, and oddly enough it's still listed in his iPhone app.  I do not see this in mine, however I asked him to take some screen captures and send them to me, and I stitched them together to form the image below.

I've searched the app on my iPhone, and also the Gen Con event database, and this is no longer in there. My guess is they mistakenly released it early, and it pretty much spoils the release date in the description.  10am Thursday morning is when the Exhibit Hall opens for the first time.  Blood Bowl: Team Manager also made a surprise debut last year at the same time.

 



#9 Big Head Zach

Big Head Zach

    Member

  • Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

 

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO



#10 dboeren

dboeren

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:43 AM

Bootylactin said:

This event was temporarily in the Gen Con event database. A friend who's attending happened to spot this, and oddly enough it's still listed in his iPhone app.  I do not see this in mine, however I asked him to take some screen captures and send them to me, and I stitched them together to form the image below.

I've searched the app on my iPhone, and also the Gen Con event database, and this is no longer in there. My guess is they mistakenly released it early, and it pretty much spoils the release date in the description.  10am Thursday morning is when the Exhibit Hall opens for the first time.  Blood Bowl: Team Manager also made a surprise debut last year at the same time.

Not in my copy of the Gencon iPhone app either.  Personally, I don't understand why the promotional value of keeping the release secret (even though it's already been suspected) is worth more than the promotional value of having a tournament for it.  Dumb move IMHO.  And now it's even worse, they've managed to lose any secrecy benefits AND lose any tournament benefits at the same time.

I'd have much rather they just held the dang tournament.



#11 Bootylactin

Bootylactin

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

dboeren said:

Not in my copy of the Gencon iPhone app either.  Personally, I don't understand why the promotional value of keeping the release secret (even though it's already been suspected) is worth more than the promotional value of having a tournament for it.  Dumb move IMHO.  And now it's even worse, they've managed to lose any secrecy benefits AND lose any tournament benefits at the same time.

I'd have much rather they just held the dang tournament.

I suspect that the tournament IS going to happen.  There's no reason they still can't hold the tournament.  I think releasing the info into the Gen Con DB was a mistake on someone's part, and they quickly tried to retract it.  I fully expect this to show back up in the DB as a legit event prior to Gen Con starting.  It's anybody's guess as to when that will happen though.

The only other possibility is that their production of the game will not hit the target date, and NO copies will be available at Gen Con.  I certainly hope it's the former and not the latter.



#12 Anarchosyn

Anarchosyn

    Member

  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Bootylactin said:

 

The only other possibility is that their production of the game will not hit the target date, and NO copies will be available at Gen Con.  I certainly hope it's the former and not the latter.

 

 

 

The potential of missing the dates, either due to production delays or transportation ambiguity, could be why they're being so secretive -- at least it's the only rationale that would make sense to me. 

 

As to possibilities, there is a third: this is a hoax. I hope nobody would be that cruel, but you know how the internet can be. 



#13 Bootylactin

Bootylactin

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

Anarchosyn said:

As to possibilities, there is a third: this is a hoax. I hope nobody would be that cruel, but you know how the internet can be.

I assume you're directing that comment at me.  I don't know you, and you don't know me, so I suppose when I tell you this is absolutely not a hoax, it doesn't mean much.  But I stand by the statement.

Unless you're implying FFG threw it in the Gen Con DB then retracted it just to screw with people?



#14 Anarchosyn

Anarchosyn

    Member

  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Bootylactin said:

 

Anarchosyn said:

As to possibilities, there is a third: this is a hoax. I hope nobody would be that cruel, but you know how the internet can be.

 

I assume you're directing that comment at me.  I don't know you, and you don't know me, so I suppose when I tell you this is absolutely not a hoax, it doesn't mean much.  But I stand by the statement.

Unless you're implying FFG threw it in the Gen Con DB then retracted it just to screw with people?

 

 

 

Nope, it was directed at you, I guess. Nothing personal, I just mean it wouldn't be *too* hard to hack together in Photoshop. 

 

That said, I'm inclined to hope you wouldn't waste the effort. I'm neither going to GenCon, desiring to pay MSRP for this game or assuming a GenCon availability means a retail release, so it doesn't matter to me either way. I'll get excited when online retailers start carrying it (or we get another bloody preview).



#15 mkultra

mkultra

    Member

  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

 Well, if you check the news page, you will see that it's not a hoax.



#16 cerealkiller195

cerealkiller195

    Member

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

 i wonder if there would be any other events, sadly i may have an event during that time. But if i fail to qualify for that even I am down for some Netrunner.



#17 BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff

    Member

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

https://registration.gencon.com/events/32203

 

 



#18 PMAvers

PMAvers

    Member

  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

 Nice. Totally signing up for that.

Probably too close to launch, but one of those convention-leagues would be cool too. Easy way to get a bunch of people playing.



#19 dboeren

dboeren

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:36 AM

OK, so it's up after all.  I wonder when they were going to spring that on us if we hadn't discovered their dirty secret?

By sheer random luck, the conflicting events I have for that timeslot are not that important and I'm willing to drop them.  But I still feel it's a discourtesy to hold off on announcing your event until after everyone has filled out their schedule and the different sessions they MIGHT have been able to move to have had plenty of chance to fill up.



#20 badash56

badash56

    Member

  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

Luckily my Saturday night was open.  I will play as long as I can get some copies before it sells out.  Hopefully they have a decent amount.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS