SSU Demo Army

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 ZombiEd

ZombiEd

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'm looking to start some demos at my FLGS and looking for a good demo army for the Sino-Soviets.  I was think of doing some fast pace games of about 150 points or so.  I have both Allies and Axis armies but since the store hasn't been able to get get the new book in for the SSU so I don't know what units to get for them as a demo army.

I would appreciate any suggestions?

#2 Denied

Denied

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

The SSU book isn't out yet actually.  So no one can help you there sir. 

#3 MiniJunkie

MiniJunkie

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

This is gonna be a dumb question but: how do you play them if the rules for them aren't out yet?

#4 ZombiEd

ZombiEd

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Denied said:

This seems kind of backward!  The models are out for Dust Tactics but no rules for Dust Warfare.  I'm having trouble getting folks interested in the game, this doesn't help.  Kind of strange that when I looked at the website, Fantasy Flight gives no indication the rules are not out though they say the Core rulebook will be available soon.

#5 Denied

Denied

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Well FFG doesn't make Tactics they just work with Dust Studios to distribute it. They are working with Dust Studios to try and release their product withing the same rough time frame though. Remember Warfare is a stand alone rules set to turn Tactics into a table top wargame. As it stands I think we will see the SSU rules in the near future at least that's my guestimation based on the fact the second wave of SSU tactics models just hit shelves. 

#6 Azrell

Azrell

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

ZombiEd said:

Denied said:

This seems kind of backward!  The models are out for Dust Tactics but no rules for Dust Warfare.  I'm having trouble getting folks interested in the game, this doesn't help.  Kind of strange that when I looked at the website, Fantasy Flight gives no indication the rules are not out though they say the Core rulebook will be available soon.

The core rulebook sold out of stock so that was just a matter of underestimating the demand. You can always get a general idea of what the SSU is going to be like from there tactics stats and its kinda nice to have the models out and rdy for when the book drops. You have to remember the game is still really new, despite it being based off of tactics. Just Demo with the allies and axis and explain they have the SSU rdy to go anytime and another army in the works. 

#7 Kommissar Zeitsev

Kommissar Zeitsev

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:29 AM

The fact that we have no rules for the SSU and that FFG chooses to keep us in the dark about it is mind-numbing…

#8 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:09 AM

ZombiEd said:

This seems kind of backward!  The models are out for Dust Tactics but no rules for Dust Warfare. 

This isn't anything new… All the Dust Tactics units in the Core rulebook were out before the Core rulebook came out too….

#9 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:30 AM

Kommissar Zeitsev said:

The fact that we have no rules for the SSU and that FFG chooses to keep us in the dark about it is mind-numbing…

Or, the fact all the models will be out when the expansion book arrives in the next 30-60 days is pretty cool.

Unlike most companies where you have the book first, and the models will be released over the next year, and some even two. Not having my Destor Thanes and Destors for my Ret army in WM for 20 months?  Now that's mind-numbing. 

#10 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

felkor said:

ZombiEd said:

This seems kind of backward!  The models are out for Dust Tactics but no rules for Dust Warfare. 

This isn't anything new… All the Dust Tactics units in the Core rulebook were out before the Core rulebook came out too….

You mean the Warfare Core rulebook, right?  Because I got the very first original DT core set the day it dropped in stores and it had a rulebook with it. It was quite awhile before they had a free PDF, and even longer until the revised rulebook, but I'm pretty sure you meant that the Dust models for Axis & Allies were out 2+ years before the DW rulebook. Compared to that, 2-3 months is small potatoes. 

#11 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:44 AM

Yes, I'm not talking about the Dust Tactics rulebooks.  The rules for the SSU units for Dust Tactics are also already released. 

The Dust Warfare Core Rulebook's release got postponed, which is obviously going to push back the Zveroguard book too.  I suppose they could have postponed all the Dust Tactics releases as well to match the Warfare postponement, but I don't see any reason why they should have. 

Don't be worried that the Zverograd book is late… be happy that you can get the SSU minis early! :-)  It's all a matter of perspective.

#12 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

Yes, perspective is a wonderful thing. Is the glass half full?  Half empty? Or just the wrong size for the amount of beverage it contains? 

#13 MiniJunkie

MiniJunkie

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:23 AM

I think (if they are smart) they will release the PDF at the same time as the SSU book hits - that way players will be able to very quickly obtain it and start buying/playing SSU units asap!

#14 Denied

Denied

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:29 AM

MiniJunkie said:

I think (if they are smart) they will release the PDF at the same time as the SSU book hits - that way players will be able to very quickly obtain it and start buying/playing SSU units asap!

Knowing what FFG has done in the past I expect the hard cover to be released like 2 months before a PDF version is available.

#15 MiniJunkie

MiniJunkie

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

Oh. Bummer.

I love having the core rules PDF, I have it on my iPad, and have added highlites and bookmarks to key rules sections, all that jazz. Really increases my ability to refer to the rules quickly! (I use Goodreader).

#16 Kommissar Zeitsev

Kommissar Zeitsev

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:02 AM

I don't tend to buy a bunch of models for a game/ army BEFORE I can see their rules/stats/points, so the fact the models are out with no rules is NOT helpful IMHO.

Get out the SSU book already…

#17 Denied

Denied

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:07 AM

Kommissar Zeitsev said:

I don't tend to buy a bunch of models for a game/ army BEFORE I can see their rules/stats/points, so the fact the models are out with no rules is NOT helpful IMHO.

You remind me of this, so impatient.

www.youtube.com/watch

#18 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

The Dust Tactics stats for them are readily available, and generally speaking, there are only minor tweaks to them for Dust Warfare.  The only thing that might be significantly different is some of the air unit rules, but there's enough information out there to at least play some house-ruled games with the Dust Tactics stats that I'm sure work pretty well.

#19 Kommissar Zeitsev

Kommissar Zeitsev

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

I'm sure your link leads to a witty piece of cinema.

If no rules for axis or allied models had been release up to this point I'm sure everyone would be buying up molds with abandon and acting content about it. The fact that they can't use them.  For those of us that have no interest. The axis or allies we are in effect in a holding pattern concerning a game we would like to be playing and making informed purchases for.

I'm sorry if this bothers some…

#20 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:28 AM

Kommissar Zeitsev said:

While I agree with not buying models before I know what they do, I disagree strongly with the usefulness of them being available when the rules drop. 

I haven't bought a single SSU model yet. I'm pretty sure that'll change dramatically the day the book drops. Having the models out when the book arrives is awesome. 

And you can't convince me that you would not be complaining (like SSU DT players are right now in the DT forums) about the SSU walkers and attack chopper, and commissars, Snipers, and other units not being out right now if the DW rules were out (like the DT ones are). 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS