• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tian of House Zi

Tian of House Zi

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:38 AM

Hello, noob here.

Can I marshal a Location that lowers the cost of a character, kneel it, and gain the benefit all in the same marshal phase?  

Some cards, Littlefinger, Lannister Steward, have a +2 Gold icon.  Do you have to kneel them during the Marshal phase to gain their gold?

Deadly is... Deadly.  Since they are not considered character traits to be blocked by Brienne or other Knight like cards... how do you stop it?

Thanks in advance, and NorCal I'll be there soon!

#2 Lars

Lars

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:57 AM

1) yup.

2) no, gold is only coutned at the begining of your marshalling and cannot be added to outside of that action. If a character is out at that time you can coutn their +x gold the same way you would a location.

3) deadly can be "turned off" with milk of the poppy, which blanks the text box or with a card (its either feral direwolf or pack of direwolves, i'm bad on names right now) that steals all deadly and gives it to only direwolves (trait).

#3 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:59 AM

Tian of House Zi said:

Hello, noob here.

Can I marshal a Location that lowers the cost of a character, kneel it, and gain the benefit all in the same marshal phase?  

Yes, you can use the ability the turn it comes into play (same with cards like House Tully Recruiter, a character which reduces a Stark character).

Tian of House Zi said:

Some cards, Littlefinger, Lannister Steward, have a +2 Gold icon.  Do you have to kneel them during the Marshal phase to gain their gold?

No, they provide gold like locations do (Crossroads, the in-house gold providers). Just remember that the bonus does not apply the turn they come into play, as you caount your total gold before you play them.

Tian of House Zi said:

Deadly is... Deadly.  Since they are not considered character traits to be blocked by Brienne or other Knight like cards... how do you stop it?

Thanks in advance, and NorCal I'll be there soon!

With Deadly, you need to have an equal or greater number of defenders with Deadly, or else you will have to kill an attacker. However, during a MILITARY challenge, if you only block with one character, you can kill that character off before Deadly has a chance to kill a defender, in a way getting around the Keyword.

#4 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:24 AM

You stop Deadly the same way you stop any kill effect:

1) Save the character with an appropriate save effect.

2) Get out of the way/have no legal targets (see JJ's post; letting the challenge go unopposed or doing the chump block/kill for claim in military challenges is the most popular way of dealing with Deadly).

3) Take it on the chin.

#5 Tian of House Zi

Tian of House Zi

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:26 AM

Ah, that reminds me, what happen if a Challenge is a tie?

#6 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:31 AM

Tian of House Zi said:

Ah, that reminds me, what happen if a Challenge is a tie?

Ties on challenge STR go to the attacker (p. 14 of the Core Set rules). The defender must have MORE challenge STR than the attacker if they want to win.

Ties on Deadly go to the defender in that no one dies. The attacker must have MORE Deadly characters in the challenge in order for the kill to kick in.

#7 Locovividus

Locovividus

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:51 AM

JerusalemJones said:

With Deadly, you need to have an equal or greater number of defenders with Deadly, or else you will have to kill an attacker. However, during a MILITARY challenge, if you only block with one character, you can kill that character off before Deadly has a chance to kill a defender, in a way getting around the Keyword.

I thought only defending participating characters can be killed after the challange resolved, if the attacking player controls the most participating characters with 'deadly' (as stated in page 20 of Rulebook). Do you mean to say that if a defender wins the challange and has more deadly characters participating, then the attacker must kill one of the participating attacking characters; or was it just a typo (ie, read 'defender' instead of 'attacker' in the underlined section)?

#8 Locovividus

Locovividus

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:51 AM

Locovividus said:

JerusalemJones said:

I thought only defending participating characters can be killed after the challange resolved, if the attacking player controls the most participating characters with 'deadly' (as stated in page 20 of Rulebook). Do you mean to say that if a defender wins the challange and has more deadly characters participating, then the attacker must kill one of the participating attacking characters; or was it just a typo (ie, read 'defender' instead of 'attacker' in the underlined section)?

#9 Locovividus

Locovividus

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:52 AM

JerusalemJones said:

#10 Locovividus

Locovividus

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:53 AM

How do I delete multiple posts I made by mistake?

#11 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:22 AM

Locovividus said:

How do I delete multiple posts I made by mistake?

You can't.

And yes, JJ did have a typo. It should read "or else you're going to have to kill a DEFENDER." The Deadly keyword only kills defenders, not attackers.

#12 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:59 AM

Yeah, my fault, had my wires crossed or something -- sorry about that. Sorta kills my credibility, or what little there is left lol.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS