Noble born skills

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kraken

Kraken

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

Is the Noble-born background supposed to grant the Speak Language skills (High Gothic, Low Gothic) and Literacy skills as trained skills or simply as Basic untrained skills?

In Dark Heresy the Noble-born background provides these skills as trained skills, not untrained.

It seems odd to me that the noble character would only have a passing ability to speak High Gothic, as this should be their standard language they hve been raised and trained with.

#2 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

It's one of those odd quirks about the core rulebook's careers and origins. I always just tell my players that any origin that doesn't cost experience and gives untrained basic skills also gives them Talented for that skill. 

#3 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

Kraken said:

Is the Noble-born background supposed to grant the Speak Language skills (High Gothic, Low Gothic) and Literacy skills as trained skills or simply as Basic untrained skills?

In Dark Heresy the Noble-born background provides these skills as trained skills, not untrained.

It seems odd to me that the noble character would only have a passing ability to speak High Gothic, as this should be their standard language they hve been raised and trained with.

It's very odd, especially since they introduced new Homeworlds in Into the Storm; all which at least gets one trained skill and often multiple Basic Untrained Skills.

But without homebrewing, they are definitely intended to only be Basic Untrained Skills even though, no, it doesn't really make that much sense that someone only has a passing understanding of the language they have spoken their whole life.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#4 Cornwallis

Cornwallis

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

seems to me a noble born would still speak low gothic, and hear high gothic around the galas enough for a basic understanding, but can still be one to skip out on formal training without hindering their life too much

#5 David B

David B

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

All the noble born characters in our group (well, both of them) got speak high gothic as a trained skill at character creation; I can't remember the exact wording of the book right now, but it made much more sense for us to treat it as a trained skill - it is not much of an advantage, and makes more sense.

David.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS