• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Rivenmoor

Rivenmoor

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:59 AM

Hi all,

This is a  WIP of my Warhammer Empire map. There are many out there of varying levels of detail and no two are exactly the same. We roleplay a lot in the Warhammer Universe, specifically in the Empire. I love all the maps out there , but having the source material all over the place was difficult as well as the scale of the maps made weren't quite what I wanted. When we roleplay, we usually have a digital version of the map on my 46" TV that we can reference. So, this map specifically is built in Layers that you can turn off and on so that as a GM I can filter only things I want my players to see.

It's s WIP still, but as it stands I did my best to compile the map from many sources, including Gitzman's map (check out gitzman's gallery website for his compilation of WH maps), Andy Law's maps (which are FANTASTIC) as well as the second edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay book, Sigmar's Heirs. Lastly, there is also a fair amount of guesswork and preference involved. It's vectored as well so the zoom level of the PDF is amazing and can go really close (up to 6400%). The map itself is 48x48".

Lastly, the Legend is partially incorrect as I made it early on with the idea of what I wanted on the map. To reitterate, you need to be able to view a PDF and know how to navigate layers to get the most out of the map.

I've still got plenty of work to do, but check it out. It's uploaded on mediafire here:

www.mediafire.com/file/6u2wib38p3hv2xm/Empire_Map_Project.pdf

#2 LordBobman

LordBobman

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

Very Nice!

Hugeldal too.

#3 alskiyevski

alskiyevski

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Surely this will come in handy. Thank you for sharing!

#4 RARodger

RARodger

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Very nice! Thank you for sharing.

I love maps, and love scrolling through Gitzman's but this seems very useful. Sadly, I'm not familiar enough with the setting to give any specific advice or feed back, but it looks fantastic. Please post as up fiddle and update it!

#5 Rivenmoor

Rivenmoor

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

I'm going to add in the Wasteland on the western side (Marienburg area) as my players usually end up there. In addition, since I have the version pre-PDF, I can also add in or change the map depending on how my players react to the world.

The next big step is to add a layer for nobility. In Sigmar's Heirs they list the name of what noble rules each area. I'm going to have a layer that fades out the rest a bit and adds in the names of the local nobles over their respective area.

As I finish this, I'll upload it.

As an aside, for the Warhammer map experts,  two small areas I've put on the map are my creations entirely to the world that I made for a very large campaign we did a few years back. I wonder if anyone can point them out. 

#6 RARodger

RARodger

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

Rivenmoor said:

The next big step is to add a layer for nobility. In Sigmar's Heirs they list the name of what noble rules each area. I'm going to have a layer that fades out the rest a bit and adds in the names of the local nobles over their respective area.

As I finish this, I'll upload it.

I have been searching for a political map of the Empire, so I look forward to that.

On a technical note, I am fascinated by maps… what program did you use to make it?

#7 Rivenmoor

Rivenmoor

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

@ RARodger - QuarkXpress of all things. I don't have any Adobe design products.

#8 RARodger

RARodger

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:22 AM

Wow. I am triply impressed.

#9 Rivenmoor

Rivenmoor

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

All,

I've uploaded a new version that adds the Wasteland area as well as touches up the legend a bit. Also added a "bad guy" layer that shows monster lairs and greenskin tribes.

Many thanks goes out to Gitzman, as his super huge map helped with that!

The new upload link is:  http://www.mediafire...Map_Project.pdf

On another note, does anyone know how to edit a post? I wanted to just update the link in my original post, but can't seem to figure out how to edit the post…

#10 RARodger

RARodger

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

There is an 'edit post' button at the top of the post next to the "Reply #", but I believe it disappears after a certain amount of time. (For instance, I can't edit my previous post.)

#11 Rivenmoor

Rivenmoor

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:47 AM

Finished the "Political Lands" layer that adds the names of the nobles to where they rule. This services to help me as the GM and the players as well to know who they're dealing with in the area. The layer is defaulted to "off" but you can turn it on or off as necessary as with the rest of the layers.

www.mediafire.com/file/3bt080clk9bo2f3/Empire_Map_Project.pdf

#12 Rivenmoor

Rivenmoor

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

Had some comments that the political layer faded the rest of the map a bit TOO much. Adjusted the fade a bit so you can still see what's behind.

www.mediafire.com/file/g7ax0jngnxhwb78/Empire_Map_Project.pdf

#13 Rivenmoor

Rivenmoor

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:59 AM

Some more updates to this map. I've decided to go ahead and add the peripheral entities such as the Wasteland, Bretonnia, and Kislev (at least put in what I had room for.)

In addition, cleaned up the organization of the nobles by color now, so you can tell easily a Graf from a Baron, etc.

One further reminder as I've been getting a lot of questions on it. To really benefit from viewing this map, you have to use the layers feature in Acrobat (reader or professional itself). IT is notoriously cluttered otherwise. It gives each viewer the control of what they do and do not want to see on their map. The "Political Lands" layer especially. I have it turned off by default, but you can turn it on.

Last on the list is figuring out how to do resources and trade networks. It has me stumped at the moment and any suggestions would be helpful.

90% done!

www.mediafire.com/file/9l9mllhdzz5z11z/Empire_Map_Project.pdf

#14 RARodger

RARodger

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

Awesome work.

Rivenmoor said:

In addition, cleaned up the organization of the nobles by color now, so you can tell easily a Graf from a Baron, etc.

Cool. Now I just have to learn what the difference between a Graf and a Baron is.

#15 Rivenmoor

Rivenmoor

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:10 AM

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nobility

There you are! It's got all the titles and what they meant. Strangely enough Graf typically was "Count", so technically, in the Empire all the Counts should be Grafs, but I digress….

#16 Angelic Despot

Angelic Despot

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

The map looks fantastic, and really useful.   But I'm having problems making it work.   It doesn't seem to matter whether I tick or untick the layer boxes, nothing seems to change.   I wasn't even aware of this feature previously, so is there some sort of 'apply changes' button I should be pressing to get the political lands to appear, or to get inns and coaching houses to disappear?

#17 Rivenmoor

Rivenmoor

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:57 AM

Just to make sure you are clicking in the right place, in Acrobat reader, next to each layer is a box with an 'eye' icon in it. You have to click that little checkbox to toggle on and off. Is that working?

#18 Angelic Despot

Angelic Despot

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hmm…   I can't see anything that looks like an eye anywhere.   There's a list of layers (geography, tollhouses, etc.) which all have a yellow box next to them.   They're all ticked except for  'political lands'.   But un-ticking doesn't seem to change anything.

#19 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

I just downloaded that map, wow amazing. It works very well with Foxit reader!

Thanks a lot for making such a map.

Cheers

Ceodryn

#20 Rivenmoor

Rivenmoor

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:36 AM

@Angelic Despot: Are you using Acrobat Reader X? Try updating your reader to it. I just opened it in Reader X and it worked. The boxes should not be yellow, they should be white boxes. The ones visible (all but Political Lands) should have a little eye icon in them and the Political Lands should have nothing in it (showing it as not visible). Clicking either an open box or an eye should hide or show that layer.

Should look something like this: www.google.com/imgres

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS