aren't Molotovs flame weapons?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fhaugh

fhaugh

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

I know the card doesn't list them as a flame weapon, but I'm trying to understand how a glass bottle full of gasoline isn't a flame weapon.  Did they just run out of room on the SSU close combat squads card or what?

#2 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

I would make sense especially as they would be thrown through windows etc as grenades and ignore cover that way too.

#3 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:37 AM

I might be wrong here, but maybe it's because the Molotov just burns whatever it hits, not expanding in an uncontrolled burst like a grenade or flamethrower… Meaning, you need to hit your target directly with the bottle, otherwise it will be unharmed.

#4 fhaugh

fhaugh

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:01 AM

not to argue, but gasoline doesn't just burn, it explodes.  When the glass breaks the fumes in the bottle explode spraying liquid all around.

I think it's a misprint on the card just like Hans's granate werfer.

#5 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

fhaugh said:

not to argue, but gasoline doesn't just burn, it explodes.  When the glass breaks the fumes in the bottle explode spraying liquid all around.

I think it's a misprint on the card just like Hans's granate werfer.

I once built a granate werfer…….. It didnt work so well though…….

#6 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

BTW, I confirmed this with FFG, Molotov Cocktails DO NOT ignore cover.

Rules for flame weapons do not apply to Molotov cocktails in Dust Tactics. Therefore, they do not ignore cover.

#7 fhaugh

fhaugh

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

I got the same reply.  Sucks, flame weapons, besides the flamethrower, would have made the SSU close combat squad worth the points.

#8 daniello_s

daniello_s

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Kind of without the sense - when you hit a man (or even hit a ground beside him) with Molotov Cocktail he will surely be burning.

Anyway, FFG logic says otherwise :D

#9 Gimp

Gimp

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

A model hit and burning from a Molotov is a model that scored a hit for damage.

A Molotov might explode when it hits, or it might simply splatter or puddle an area to varied degrees.  It might wind up as effective as a grenade or flamethrower, but usually won't, simply because it isn't as well designed.

A grenade has an inherent explosive and fragmentation effect that has its effectiveness fully considered within its rules.

A flamethrower is a controlled spray of a larger quantity of burning fuel that fits the same way.

A Molotov is a field expedient flame/explosive device that is not as effective as either of the other weapons, so limiting it within the game's rules makes sense. 

If a Molotov was as good as a flamethrower or grenade within the rules it would be far too powerful for what the weapon is capable of.  It doesn't have the explosive or fragmentation effect of a grenade, nor the stickiness or fuel volume put out by a flamethrower.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS