Jump to content



Photo

Preview: Arcane Secrets Revealed


  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Unclechawie

Unclechawie

    Member

  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

The new preview is out and it takes us through the Mage and Necromancer classes.  Enjoy

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp



#2 Unclechawie

Unclechawie

    Member

  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

Unclechawie said:

The new preview is out and it takes us through the Mage and Necromancer classes.  Enjoy

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

Sorry Runemaster, not Mage.



#3 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

Looks pretty cool to me.  Runemagic looks like it's being expanded in some interesting ways (the ability for mages to add the "Rune" keyword to weapons implies a level of control over rune creation that was previously unknown in the world at large.)

Necromancer also seems to be nicely "fleshed" out. =P  I'm a little sad to hear that the Necromancer's reanimate is the only familiar in 2e (besides those in the conversion kit, of course), but I'll still find a way to enjoy this game, I imagine =)



#4 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

    Member

  • Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

This game can nevner come out quickly enough…darni it all!!!!!!!!!



#5 Lupin89

Lupin89

    Member

  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

Runic Sorcery's conditions i wonder what are thous (1+ damaga 1+ range or something special like stun target or knockback …). Any guess?



#6 PBnJ

PBnJ

    Member

  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

Lupin89 said:

Runic Sorcery's conditions i wonder what are thous (1+ damaga 1+ range or something special like stun target or knockback …). Any guess?

pretty much everything that is a condition in the game. stun, immoblize,  rage maybe,  bleed maybe, daze, (mind you I'm going based on 1st ed. on some of these),  burn and bleed, .  wouldn't KO'd be a condition too?  hmm…….



#7 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:02 AM

 The four conditions included in the 2E base game are Stun, Immobilize, Disease and Poison.



#8 Sausageman

Sausageman

    Member

  • Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

Gotta say, I'm loving the Necromancer.  Probably my favourite class seen so far.

A pet zombie.  Awwwww….



#9 klempad

klempad

    Member

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:42 AM

Something I not completely clear on (may have missed it somewhere):

Are spells (Runes) considered weapons?

In other words, is Arcane Bolt considered a Magic and/or Rune weapon for the purposes of say, Runic Knowledge?



#10 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:16 AM

klempad said:

Something I not completely clear on (may have missed it somewhere):

Are spells (Runes) considered weapons?

In other words, is Arcane Bolt considered a Magic and/or Rune weapon for the purposes of say, Runic Knowledge?

Yes, runes are weapons.



#11 Columbob

Columbob

    Member

  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:02 AM

Sausageman said:

Gotta say, I'm loving the Necromancer.  Probably my favourite class seen so far.

A pet zombie.  Awwwww….

 

Same here. But then again, I love playing the undead (Runewars, Warhammer).



#12 Walk

Walk

    Member

  • Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

Here's a question: exactly when and how does the reanimate activate?  Does the necromancer have to spend his/her actions to make it do stuff, or does it have its own turn?  An extra, more or less full-strength turn every round seems a little too powerful, while just an extra option for attacking (which doesn't really add much) seems rather useless.  So I'm not sure.  And what's with the "It may perform 1 attack action during its activation"?  Why would this need to be specified?  At first I thought that familiar cards might specify all the actions the familiar could take, but that would mean the reanimate couldn't move, which not only would make it pretty hard to use effectively but would render its movement characteristic purposeless.  Could the phrase really mean "It may perform no more than 1 attack action during its activation"?  If so, that's some pretty terrible word choice, but then, I suppose that wouldn't be altogether surprising….



#13 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

Walk said:

 

Here's a question: exactly when and how does the reanimate activate?  Does the necromancer have to spend his/her actions to make it do stuff, or does it have its own turn?  An extra, more or less full-strength turn every round seems a little too powerful, while just an extra option for attacking (which doesn't really add much) seems rather useless.  So I'm not sure.  And what's with the "It may perform 1 attack action during its activation"?  Why would this need to be specified?  At first I thought that familiar cards might specify all the actions the familiar could take, but that would mean the reanimate couldn't move, which not only would make it pretty hard to use effectively but would render its movement characteristic purposeless.  Could the phrase really mean "It may perform no more than 1 attack action during its activation"?  If so, that's some pretty terrible word choice, but then, I suppose that wouldn't be altogether surprising….

 

 

Presumably this is all in the rulebook.

I would guess that the very fact that the familiar has a Speed rating enables it to move, and the special text allows it to attack (once per activation).  I would also guess the familiar takes its activation after the controlling hero.



#14 Lupin89

Lupin89

    Member

  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

Bleached Lizard said:

Walk said:

 

Here's a question: exactly when and how does the reanimate activate?  Does the necromancer have to spend his/her actions to make it do stuff, or does it have its own turn?  An extra, more or less full-strength turn every round seems a little too powerful, while just an extra option for attacking (which doesn't really add much) seems rather useless.  So I'm not sure.  And what's with the "It may perform 1 attack action during its activation"?  Why would this need to be specified?  At first I thought that familiar cards might specify all the actions the familiar could take, but that would mean the reanimate couldn't move, which not only would make it pretty hard to use effectively but would render its movement characteristic purposeless.  Could the phrase really mean "It may perform no more than 1 attack action during its activation"?  If so, that's some pretty terrible word choice, but then, I suppose that wouldn't be altogether surprising….

 

 

Presumably this is all in the rulebook.

I would guess that the very fact that the familiar has a Speed rating enables it to move, and the special text allows it to attack (once per activation).  I would also guess the familiar takes its activation after the controlling hero.

 

i think about same as you two

 

Reanimate: (i call him Skull Jack and his clan) it is like OLs monsters: 1 move 1 attack and stays on the board

Raise Dead: to call Skull Jacks Ugly uncle Bob for time to time for Jack to collect his bones from ground and repair himself (i think you need to remove current one before to summon. Not sure though could be that you can summon new one to place around you spot)

Dark Command: give you use monster you killed for  make 1 move and 1 attack (if knowledge test pass)

For person that asked about on this

 



#15 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

klempad said:

Something I not completely clear on (may have missed it somewhere):

Are spells (Runes) considered weapons?

In other words, is Arcane Bolt considered a Magic and/or Rune weapon for the purposes of say, Runic Knowledge?

It might have been better if there were a "Weapon" keyword for weapons, but I'm pretty sure the Arcane Bolt is a weapon card.  It's got hands in the corner, indicating it needs to be equipped like an item, it's got attack dice down the right side like other weapons do, and it has the green bow icon which presumably indicates it is a ranged weapon.  It certainly looks like a weapon card, anyway.

Apparently "Magic" is a keyword now instead of a third attack type, which is probably better in the long run.  If nothing else, it opens the door for "Melee" magic attacks that don't require range to be counted, which is a good thing IMHO.



#16 Columbob

Columbob

    Member

  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

Steve-O said:

Apparently "Magic" is a keyword now instead of a third attack type, which is probably better in the long run.  If nothing else, it opens the door for "Melee" magic attacks that don't require range to be counted, which is a good thing IMHO.

 

Or monsters/lieutenants who can't be hit by any attack without the magic keyword.



#17 Antistone

Antistone

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

…and I can already spot things that I'm pretty sure are going to have to be FAQ'd.

Runic Sorcery adds a condition to "the target" of an attack.  Maybe there's no possible way to ever perform an area attack when using that skill (and maybe they'll have the discipline to maintain that in expansions), but it sure looks like they simply failed to learn their lesson from Flaming Fury.  We know from Exploding Rune that Blast still exists (though you can't use those particular two skills at the same time), which probably means that attacks still technically target spaces and not figures, at minimum.

(On a side note: one fatigue to add Blast to an attack, potentially usable with any weapon in the game, as often as you want?  That would be comically overpowered in first edition.  That doesn't necessarily mean it will be overpowered in second edition, but it's one of the first things I would try.)

Writing the fatigue cost for all skills in the bottom corner of the skill might sound like a good idea…until you realize that there are some skills with multiple separate uses.  So Undead Might gives your reanimate +2 health and it can be exhausted to enhance your reanimate's attack.  And it has a fatigue cost.  I'm guessing that fatigue cost is intended to apply only to the second effect, but it's written in a way that implies it applies to "the whole card", which is misleading at best.

They seem to be using the heart symbol in all the places where in first edition they would have used the word "damage" or "wound" or "health".  So when a necromancer gets attacked and uses Dark Pact to transfer the "heart" to his reanimate, who's defense pool do you roll on that attack?  I suppose it's possible that they've rigorously defined the word "suffer" in a way that will make this clear…



#18 Antistone

Antistone

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

Walk said:

Here's a question: exactly when and how does the reanimate activate?  Does the necromancer have to spend his/her actions to make it do stuff, or does it have its own turn?  An extra, more or less full-strength turn every round seems a little too powerful, while just an extra option for attacking (which doesn't really add much) seems rather useless.  So I'm not sure.  And what's with the "It may perform 1 attack action during its activation"?  Why would this need to be specified?  At first I thought that familiar cards might specify all the actions the familiar could take, but that would mean the reanimate couldn't move, which not only would make it pretty hard to use effectively but would render its movement characteristic purposeless.  Could the phrase really mean "It may perform no more than 1 attack action during its activation"?  If so, that's some pretty terrible word choice, but then, I suppose that wouldn't be altogether surprising….

In first edition, there was a core rule saying that a familiar could activate after it's owner's turn, and move its speed each time it activated.  Most familiars didn't attack, so when they added an attacking familiar (Furr the Spirit Wolf), it needed a special rule saying that it could also attack once during each activation.

The reanimate card seems to make perfect sense if we assume familiars work the same way in 2nd edition, so until we get more info, that's what I'd assume.



#19 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

Antistone said:

 

(On a side note: one fatigue to add Blast to an attack, potentially usable with any weapon in the game, as often as you want?  That would be comically overpowered in first edition.  That doesn't necessarily mean it will be overpowered in second edition, but it's one of the first things I would try.)

 

 

Based on the smaller monster counts we've already seen in 2e, I'm guessing monsters won't be quite as easy to knock over as they used to be.  Also, none of the cards I've seen so far discuss anything like "Blast 2" and Blast 1 doesn't seem that overpowered.  I suspect there will be a lot less cumulative stacking of bonuses in 2e.

 



#20 Columbob

Columbob

    Member

  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:50 AM

Antistone said:

corner of the skill might sound like a good idea…until you realize that there are some skills with multiple separate uses.  So Undead Might gives your reanimate +2 health and it can be exhausted to enhance your reanimate's attack.  And it has a fatigue cost.  I'm guessing that fatigue cost is intended to apply only to the second effect, but it's written in a way that implies it applies to "the whole card", which is misleading at best.

They seem to be using the heart symbol in all the places where in first edition they would have used the word "damage" or "wound" or "health".  So when a necromancer gets attacked and uses Dark Pact to transfer the "heart" to his reanimate, who's defense pool do you roll on that attack?  I suppose it's possible that they've rigorously defined the word "suffer" in a way that will make this clear…

 

For your first paragraph, the fatigue cost is to exhaust the card. The reanimate bonus is a permanent ability.

For your second paragraph, you suffer damage after you've rolled for defense, not before, so there's not confusion about which dice to roll.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS