Buying expansion….or not

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Thorsmork

Thorsmork

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

I only play the base game 3-4 times a year, but enjoy it very much. I'm thinking of buying an expansion but can only afford one. After reading a bunch of conflicting user reviews on Amazon, I'm not sure I should buy either - especially since my group is nowhere near bored with the base game yet.

Which expansion is better for casual players, or are neither worth getting right now?

#2 Columbob

Columbob

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

If you're not bored with the base game yet, you can safely pass on the expansions, unless you really want to try new stuff or characters. But neither is essential.

I'd say the best part of the expansions, apart from new characters, is the Cylon fleet board in Exodus.

#3 psiho333

psiho333

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

Columbob summed it up nicely.

It really depends what you want from the game. Personally, after playing with the Cylon Fleet board, I couldn't play BSG without. The constant pursue of Cylon ships makes the game much more tense - especially in the later rounds of the game. This has two implications: first off, Cylons have better motivation to reveal themselves in a crucial moment and second, the Human victory is more epic than ever.

The personal goals and final five are also a fun adition to the game, even though the goals are in my opinion too easily dismissed (at least in my gaming group).

#4 AUCodeMonkey

AUCodeMonkey

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

I agree with the other 2, but for a different reason. With the Cylon Fleet board, I never get bored playing a Pilot anymore

#5 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

AUCodeMonkey said:

I agree with the other 2, but for a different reason. With the Cylon Fleet board, I never get bored playing a Pilot anymore

Lol, agreed!
The only thing I have to add is that for people who dont play often, using the Cylon fleet option without adding the firepower of Pegasus may swing the game toward a lot of crushing Cylon victories. 

#6 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

"Which expansion" is a tough call. 

If you planned on getting both, I would say Pegasus then Exodus…

but if you get only one…  maybe Exodus is a good choice.  I played at a convention recently where the popular version was base game a Cylon fleet and it played very well.  I think one reason at a convention was that no one "walked away" mid game out of boredom from being a pilot (or cylon) with nothing to do - always a danger not so much in a home home <grin>. 

You also can added/remove the other elements to change the game up every once in a while, playing with 2 or all three expansion options.  This adds to playability. 

Beside "the Pegasus", you won't have characters from Pegasus or the skill cards - I am not sure if that would outweigh my recommendation, but probably not. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS