#2 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

ellobo said:

what are the best colors for a axis urban army

Easiest : Base Primer + Light Grey and Dark Grey for a three color pattern

For a more distinct look you could add a burgandy or maroon red to the mix, or even a light brown. 

The Germans really experimented with camo patterns and tried a large array of different patterns. I would say almost anything goes.

#3 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

Here a couple examples of some camo I did, click on them to blow up the images:

#4 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Here's my urban camo.

Used the primer gray as a base, then applied blotches of light gray, white and black.

#5 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

Something I haven't seen anyone mention are Camouflage Decal sheets. There are several sources online for 1/35 and 1/48 scale decal sheets in most recognizable German patterns as well as the U.S. Army frog skin pattern.

Has anyone tried these?

The reviews I have seen seemed favorable, with patience and decal set solution.

#6 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

ItsUncertainWho said:

Something I haven't seen anyone mention are Camouflage Decal sheets. There are several sources online for 1/35 and 1/48 scale decal sheets in most recognizable German patterns as well as the U.S. Army frog skin pattern.

Has anyone tried these?

The reviews I have seen seemed favorable, with patience and decal set solution.

Even if applying the decals isn't ten times harder than just painting, they would still have that age old problem of sheen you get with decals. I just did my first camouflage painting the other day and not only was it easier than I expected, but it was kind of fun.

#7 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

Indeed, painting camouflage just takes patience. It's not really hard, because you'll be hard-pressed to make a mistake when drawing amorphous blobs.

#8 emilio68it

emilio68it

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

Loophole Master said:

Indeed, painting camouflage just takes patience. It's not really hard, because you'll be hard-pressed to make a mistake when drawing amorphous blobs.

In my opinion it's difficult not only paint camo, but highlighting and washing, a nightmare!

#9 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:02 AM

After I did Manfred I decided that camo can only receive the faintest of highlights, otherwise you'll bury your painstaking pattern. And I'm not going to highlight in 4 different colours, doing each bit of highlight…

#10 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:12 AM

I agree with Loophole. If  you look at the minis above, the highlights are a single colour and pretty much just limited to edges.

I'm not sure how camouflage would make washing a nightmare?

As for the difficulty, I suppose it's different for everyone but I only started painting minis a few months ago and kept putting off doing any camouflage and then found it really, really easy. I suppose if you just started adding camo to the primer, that would be difficult but I'm not sure why you'd do that.

#11 emilio68it

emilio68it

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:47 AM

washing could cover any spot and ruin camo effect, in my opinion

#12 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:53 AM

I'm just old and don't have the patience for painting that I did twenty years ago.  

#13 emilio68it

emilio68it

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

ItsUncertainWho said:

I'm just old and don't have the patience for painting that I did twenty years ago.  

Ah ah ah you're right! it's the same for me!

#14 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

The easiest way to handle the wash/highlight conundrum is to apply the base color, then wash, then camo scheme and then a light, very light dry brush of say bleached bone depending on the base color. That is why my oak leaf  and pea dot camo minis look better than the rest i did. I was out of order with the wash.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS