What color to use on the SSU walkers?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 drapulv

drapulv

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Well, I got the Op. Zverograd expansion the other day. And since it included a SSU walker I might as well build a SSU army too, right?

I don´t like the base color of the SSU walkers though. A more olive-green(ish) would be nice, but I´ve had a hard time finding the right color.

Any suggestions? I prefer Vallejo model colors, but I use some Citadel too.

#2 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

Vallejo do Russian colors just like they do with the Axis and Allies. I think of olive green as an Allied color.

#3 drapulv

drapulv

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

Siouxfire said:

Vallejo do Russian colors just like they do with the Axis and Allies. I think of olive green as an Allied color.

Ok, but which one? I´d like it to look like the color on the picture of the "Grand´ma".

#4 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

drapulv said:

Siouxfire said:

Ok, but which one? I´d like it to look like the color on the picture of the "Grand´ma".

I see where you're coming from now about the Olive Green but when it dries it will look nothing like that. 

I'm thinking it's one of these…

Vallejo Model Color 838 Emerald Green M071

Vallejo Model Color 891 Intermediate Green M074

Alternatively, you could just go for the Flames of War Soviet Paint set. Note sure where you're based but you can get that on Amazon.

BTW - this is how the Olive Green looks. It's quite bright even after a few washes.

#5 drapulv

drapulv

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

Thank you very much, I will try those.  

#6 Bartali

Bartali

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:29 AM

Vallejo Russian Uniform or Russian Green ?

#7 drapulv

drapulv

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

Bartali said:

Vallejo Russian Uniform or Russian Green ?

I got russian uniform, but it is too beige. It looks like the color the model is based with, just a tad darker.

Maybe I´ll try russian green though.

#8 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:12 AM

I used Flames of War Soviet Armour Green spray, which I guess must be somewhere around the right colour.  Coat d'arms army green is a near perfect match for touching up bits you missed.:

#9 Error 718

Error 718

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:58 AM

for the ssu troops i used a base of any green, i then used the 'new' death world forest for the uniforms. i washed this with the reikland wash then highlighted it with elysian green.

As for the mech i have not found a color close to it yet, i think it would have to be mixed. I have some tamiya flat green that i think comes close to a good green color.

nice model btw :)

#10 theguildllc

theguildllc

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

I did a 'How2 SSU armor' article on this sub forum, prolly page 2 or 3.  It might help.  I have all the colors I used listed and a step-by-step process.  Hope it helps.

#11 drapulv

drapulv

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

Thank you again! Many good suggestions.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS