Photo

Sleeving of monsters and improved stands.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 mud

mud

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:16 AM

Hi all.

I apologise beforehand for my use of pictures in this thread. I'm not used to forums and didn't resize.

I finally figured out a great way to sleeve my monster tokens. I use 35x35mm coin envelopes, you know those clear plastic things that coin collectors use.

Those guys!

They fit very snuggly and have a little flap that keeps the monster from falling out when randomizing your bag.

They can probably be found in your local coin colletion supplies store. Or eBay, try "coin envelope 35mm" or similar string.

End result:

And then the stands. I am unsure if this has been done before but colour me redundant…

I read a tip here on the forum about filing down the teeth on the stand but that left the invstigator without footing. So I took one of those soft thingies you put under the legs of a table (I have no idea what they are called in english but they have them at IKEA), cut it down a bit, shaved it some and then sticked it to one of the sides in the stand.

End result:

Your brave cardboard investigators will never be harmed again!

Hopes this is useful to someone.

//Mud

#2 Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

The coin sleeves are a good idea - I have done this with all my monster tokens.

I wasn't able to get them in the sleeves without a bit of pre-stretching, which can be done with bits of cardboard from a cereal packet, but is most effective (and easy)  using a cut up piece of credit card plastic . It may take a few tries to get the optimum size but  this method reduces splitting considerably.

#3 mud

mud

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

Never thought of stretching them, thanks for the tip!

How do you stretch them? Just cut the cardboard/credit card to the same size as the monster and do a bit of in-out-in-out?

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

mud said:

I read a tip here on the forum about filing down the teeth on the stand but that left the invstigator without footing. So I took one of those soft thingies you put under the legs of a table (I have no idea what they are called in english but they have them at IKEA), cut it down a bit, shaved it some and then sticked it to one of the sides in the stand.

That's brilliant dude! I'm gonna use this for the doors in Doom and Descent :-) Thx for the great idea!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

mud said:

Never thought of stretching them, thanks for the tip!

How do you stretch them? Just cut the cardboard/credit card to the same size as the monster and do a bit of in-out-in-out?

Yes that's it.

Once you've stretched it with a bit of credit card plastic, the softer cardboard token goes in much easier.

Use a bit of the credit card with a round corner on one side and cut off the other corner, so you have no sharp right angles going in first (to reduce risk of splitting & tearing).

Use two of these plastic pieces one on top of the other to fully stretch the pouch before taking them out & putting the monster token in.

#6 mud

mud

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

Shub-Niggurath said:

Once you've stretched it with a bit of credit card plastic, the softer cardboard token goes in much easier.

I tried it and it worked great. 

Without streching there was always a element of horror when the monster needed more force to fit than you want to expose your favorite game to.

#7 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

I will try this (the coin sleeves) too. The wear and tear of the monsters have been bothering me for some time and it's great that someone found a nice solution. Just ordered 200 sleeves from the UK since I could only find really expensive ones in Sweden (where i live).

#8 Nameless1

Nameless1

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

Did some work as described on this forum at BGG:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/629071/sleeves-for-monster-tokens-solution-found/page/1

Stretching is a must.

I like the idea of the foam protectors but it looks like I lot of work. I filed down the teeth on my stands using a mini file myself.

Edit: minor spelling

#9 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:58 AM

The coin sleeves works perfectly.

Now on to laminating the investigator sheets.

#10 Hugues

Hugues

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

There are good sleeves for investigator sheets. They perfectly match the size. Don't have any link right now, but so, you're aware of them.

#11 No1Sciguy

No1Sciguy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hugues said:

There are good sleeves for investigator sheets. They perfectly match the size. Don't have any link right now, but so, you're aware of them.

I bought mine on ebay.  They show up in stock every once in while, or at least they used to.

www.ebay.com/itm/220603739752

#12 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

Tbla said:

I have a laminator but never thought using it for Arkham…I don't think I dare feed it my investigator sheets. What if something goes wrong? Besides, investigator sheets don't get worn down.

#13 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

Tox said:

Tbla said:

I have a laminator but never thought using it for Arkham…I don't think I dare feed it my investigator sheets. What if something goes wrong? Besides, investigator sheets don't get worn down.

Mine are actually starting to get worn on the sides so the laminating is a desperate action. But so far it's working just fine.

#14 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

Tbla said:

Mine are actually starting to get worn on the sides so the laminating is a desperate action. But so far it's working just fine.

I laminated all the AOs, Investigators, Heralds, Institutions and Guardians and they're still perfect (being the first investigators laminated in 2007).

As for the "what if something goes wrong while laminating"… just go to a shop and have your laminations be done there. In case something goes wrong, you should be refunded

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#15 Pvthudson01

Pvthudson01

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:41 AM

I just use the new MINIATURES

#16 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

Pvthudson01 said:

I just use the new MINIATURES

Don't really like them. I think they are to big and would be rather annoying. I sometimes find Arkham a bit crowded with just the tokens.
Even though it's always nice with plastic figures I think Arkham Horror has solved the monsters very nice with the tokens and that would be ruined with the miniatures.

This is actually not just me being bitter because I can't afford the miniatures (which I can't and I am a bit bitter about it) .

Now the Investigator miniatures on the other hand … oh wait… can't really afford those either

#17 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

I want to thank mud for the awesome idea. I put it in practice myself! I got 200 coin sleeves on ebay, and have just finished sleeving them all. I didn't have to pre-stretch, fortunately, even if 16 sleeves were damaged (and discarded) in the process of sliding the tokens in. The easier tokens to slide in were aquatic monsters, for some reason. The toughest was the Dunwich Horror, I think it ruined 8 sleeves before managing to fit in one :D

Here's some pictures:

A sleeved cultist

s13.postimage.org/9xh9wljcn/DSCF0332.jpg

Front view of the cultist

s13.postimage.org/s0ey1k4l3/DSCF0339.jpg

And some of my new storage solutions:

The token box

s7.postimage.org/8phik16az/DSCF0341.jpg

Small card container

s13.postimage.org/vzgqy4ilz/DSCF0342.jpg

A small box used for holding the Gate and Mythos decks

s13.postimage.org/d214kvewn/DSCF0343.jpg

And my hand-made gate holders :P

All 8 of them

s13.postimage.org/aktyrckdz/DSCF0344.jpg

A close-up of 2

s13.postimage.org/jjt7vv41j/DSCF0346.jpg

I hope these will help someone find their own solutions for storing and protecting Arkham! :)

#18 Cthulhu1978

Cthulhu1978

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

Wow, Mud, your solution to protecting the monsters and improving the stands is the best so far!

I'm buying a pack of one of those felt thingies first thing in the morning and will definitely improve my stands. I was really worried that I would ruin the game after just a few sessions!

Thanks a lot!

#19 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

Tox,

If you're interesetd, you might want to check out Kickstarter for your idea.  There are a number of folks out here that might make it worthwhile.  I'm ready to launch a project (after many, many months) on Kickstarter, introducing card holders and component trays for AH.

The Professor

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#20 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

The Professor said:

Tox,

If you're interesetd, you might want to check out Kickstarter for your idea.  There are a number of folks out here that might make it worthwhile.  I'm ready to launch a project (after many, many months) on Kickstarter, introducing card holders and component trays for AH.

The Professor

I don't think so, I just picked a couple of plastic boxes for the token holders, and the gate stands are made out of the white clay stuff that hardens with air :P I do have some favorites between those, though (the ones that reach up the side of the gate token), but those were also mostly inspired by some pics I had seen online a year and a half ago.

I'm very interested at seeing what you're going to come up with, though.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS