Photo

What do use to store and carry your models?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Harliquine

Harliquine

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

Seriously what do you guys use? I'm currently painting my models and I'm looking for a nice case to carry& store them in so that they don't get scratched up. I looked at the Battlefoam product for Dust but it's setup for both Allies and Axis. The problem being I only play Axis right now and I have now need to tote around Allies models when what I want is a nice tight case for what I want to play with and to store extra trays in my hobby closet. I'm not looking for a tackle box or  solution that requires you to carry 3-4 different bags to tote your stuff to the game. I want the books, the figures, the dice, etc all in a nice bag. I'd say I wanted a cup holder but I think that might be a bit much.

So what do you use and why do you like it?

#2 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

I've just gotten to the point where if people want to play, they play it at my house and I don't transport it.

However, I've ordered a 4" Sobol Figure Foam tray to see how that works for storying them.  The Figure Foam has 1" cubes that you pluck out of the foam to create whatever size and shapes of holes you want to store your miniatures in.  I'm hoping this will be a safe way to store the walkers.  For the miniatures themselves, I use the "dip" method on them and that means they have a pretty heavy coat of varnish on them as well as dullcote - I just have each unit in ziplock bags - have been doing this for a year now and haven't had any of them get damaged because of it.

#3 Cannor

Cannor

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

I have a Feldherr Maxi case that I'll use to transport models around. Feldherr isn't a "big name" like Battlefoam or KR, but their cases (and foam) are really well made and are affordable.

#4 madmaxknick50

madmaxknick50

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

I use the Sabol Army transport system and their foam. Have always been pleased with their products.

#5 Azrell

Azrell

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

I have 2 ways i typically move Dust models, for 1$ at wallmart you can get a metal pan that you stick your model to with magnets or i put them in my battlefoam bag. 

#6 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

Privateer Press Battlefoam bag.  I can't stand Privateer Press, but there isn't a precut bag that I've found works better for the amount of Dust minis I have.  I can even fit 2 allied heavies in one 4" deep tray.

#7 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

I use Portable Warfare's, "The Sergeant" bag. Army Green for allies, Gunmetal Grey for Axis, with Blu-Foam pluck foam trays. The bags, aside from hitting the sweet cost/quality point and matching the two first factions perfectly color-wise (Can't decide for SSU - Chaos Pink or Hazard Orange), there's a perfect pocket for the rulebook, another for all the DT cards (perfect size, a third for the dice & tokens, and last but not least, two drink holders, I kid you not. 

I'll try and post pics next weekend. Probably won't have time before then. 

#8 AlphaStrike

AlphaStrike

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:00 AM

I use KR Multi-Case boxes.

I've got perhaps 15 armies across the various games I play, and I've found that (with the exception of big, irregular pieces like a dark elf dragon) most can fit into the trays provided, which can be clipped to the appropriate size and come in various shapes and designs. I've got one bag, into which the (pretty affordable) cardboard boxes can go if I need to play outside of my house.

#9 King Jareth

King Jareth

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:18 AM

Running the risk or insighting nerd rage I use zip lock bags.

My walkers are in the origional core set box partitioned with foamcore but all the infantry get put in ziplock bags by squad then chucked in either the core set box or one of the infantry squad boxes.

The ones I've painted so far survive fine (with a light coat of varnish) for 6 months+ with no chipping or flaking. The minis are so light and flexible plus have no sharp edges so personally I dont see the need for a foam bag. Obviously as I dont use the ones I have.

#10 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:31 AM

Snap 'N Stack Seasonal Ornament (3) 12"X12" Square Layer(4) perfect and good price been storing AT43 for a long time with this stuff….

#11 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:15 AM

What I find tougher to figure out is how to store my terrain.

#12 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

I use a file tote with the idea that a game mat and terrain for one table fits into one of these!

#13 Wardemon

Wardemon

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

I use a case from privateer press since I already play Warmachine and have plenty of room still.

#14 Denied

Denied

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:56 AM

I use my Battle Foam P.A.C.K. Go, hands down best army transports on the market and sadly priced that way lol. 

#15 Harliquine

Harliquine

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:27 AM

Denied said:

I use my Battle Foam P.A.C.K. Go, hands down best army transports on the market and sadly priced that way lol. 

What all can you fit in there? My plan for Axis is to have 51 level 2 infantry, 17 level 3 infantry, 3 light walkers, 2 medium walkers, 2 level 5 walkers including the naught jaüger I ordered, 1 heavy axis walker. And if there's any room left I'd like space for a tablet, rules cards, tape measure, dice, and counters. Its looks like those are expandable so later I'd like to add a small bag to put any flyers in that axis might be getting. Which battle foam bag would you think I should start with?

#16 Craig in NH

Craig in NH

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:42 AM

I LOVE my Pack 720. Currently it is home to 3 medium walkers, 2 light walkers (with slots for 3 more of either type currently holding a bunch of terrain), 12 of the cargo boxes in individual slots, 6 of the tank traps in individual slots, 67 Infantry 2, 20 infantry 3 with room for more than 30 (combined) more, a heavy walker, and a large painting set (which gets switched out for a bunch of craters/river sections and a bridge when I'm off gaming). In the pockets I have a medium sized plano case that holds a tape measure, 15 Dust dice, a whole bunch of tokens/counters (), and a couple odds and ends on one side, all of the Dust: Tactics cards on the other side, then the front pocket holds my rulebook, another tape measure, and a few more odds and ends.

The only thing I DON'T have is a cupholder . . .

Oh, and plenty of space my cool Axis patch . . Thanks, Shadow4ce!

In the interest of full disclosure, Romeo has been a sponsor of our show since he opened his shop years ago, but I was a customer before then, and bought the case and the foam I just described to you, as we don't keep anything our sponsors send us, but rather give it all away in contests. This stuff doesn't come cheap, but it is awesome, and goes a long way towards ensuring that your bendy weapons, once straightened, don't bend back.

~Craig

#17 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

Craig in NH said:

I LOVE my Pack 720. Currently it is home to 3 medium walkers, 2 light walkers (with slots for 3 more of either type currently holding a bunch of terrain), 12 of the cargo boxes in individual slots, 6 of the tank traps in individual slots, 67 Infantry 2, 20 infantry 3 with room for more than 30 (combined) more, a heavy walker, and a large painting set (which gets switched out for a bunch of craters/river sections and a bridge when I'm off gaming). In the pockets I have a medium sized plano case that holds a tape measure, 15 Dust dice, a whole bunch of tokens/counters (), and a couple odds and ends on one side, all of the Dust: Tactics cards on the other side, then the front pocket holds my rulebook, another tape measure, and a few more odds and ends.

The only thing I DON'T have is a cupholder . . .

Oh, and plenty of space my cool Axis patch . . Thanks, Shadow4ce!

In the interest of full disclosure, Romeo has been a sponsor of our show since he opened his shop years ago, but I was a customer before then, and bought the case and the foam I just described to you, as we don't keep anything our sponsors send us, but rather give it all away in contests. This stuff doesn't come cheap, but it is awesome, and goes a long way towards ensuring that your bendy weapons, once straightened, don't bend back.

~Craig

Id love to see a pic of your set up sounds great!

#18 Craig in NH

Craig in NH

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

Sorry, Gordon, but my digital photog skills coupled with this forum . . . probably not going to happen

But basically I have the Dust: Tactics walker try, which holds up to 8 light/medium walkers and a bunch of crates and tank traps. Then I have the Axis tray, which holds 1 set of each weapon type (most of the others are stored, with space to spare, attached to walkers in the first tray), and a bunch of infantry and all my characters, then a couple generic infantry trays that hold a butt load of Infantry 2s and 3s, and my extra 8.8s in a couple slots I cut special for them. The heavy is in a separate piece of pluck n pick foam with it's 'torso' separate from its legs so the whole thing takes up far less space, and the other half the case's upper section holds the paints and/or terrain.

It's a pretty snazy setup, if I do say so myself.

#19 KiltedWolf

KiltedWolf

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

Here is my current set up, which I believe is similar to CraigNH's; not to steal anyone's thunder.

I echoe the positive sentiments expressed of Battle Foam -- they are not cheap/inexpensive, but they are pretty bomb-proof, and are built expressly to be miniature carriers. Even if you can't afford one of their bags, I highly recommend their foam.

I now have a nine-walker tray that I ordered using the custom tray creator that replaces the final picture of the seven-walker tray. I'll see if I can't take a picture of it tonight and post.

With the exception of the heavy walker tray, this all fits in a 720 with an attached PACK Plus. I intend to pick up another 720 and split my axis and allies forces between the two.

Cheers!

#20 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

A few questions I have as I'm getting ready to expand my forces to include the SSU I'm considering switching to Battle Foam (Have their WM bag, their Hordes bag, their FoW bag, and their MERCS bag - very happy with their stuff).

For the folks with the heavy walker foam tray…

How much shorter could it be and still protect the walkers?  If I switch to BF, I'll probably ask them to do an Allies only one, and an Axis only one, so both measurements would be great. I'm basically curious what bag I'd have to get to hold each faction.

For folks with the SSU models…

What are the dimensions of the helicopter?

What are the dimensions of the Grand 'Ma kv47 walker?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS